Aeroplanes

• 17 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: October 05, 2023, 09:10:41 PM »
I've been hiding this song for a little while.  I often sketch tracks because I love to write more than I love to produce.  I have an idea that I will return to big productions and band-type songs, which is quite likely in the near future.  However, I have many songs that have not been fully produced and perhaps deserve to be heard.

In honesty, I experienced the most beautiful and happiest time in the world when I met my beautiful French partner Marie.  This has provided such a wonderful balm after the end of my marriage.  A man can become lost when a marriage ends.  His relationship with his children changes in ways that he has no control over.  That brings me to Aeroplanes.  I'm not sure how skillfully I have achieved my aim.  On a different day, I would have been more eloquent.  This is for my boys Tom and James.  Finding my happiness came at great expense.  I now live many miles away from my home town where my children have remained.   I think about the boys every day and how things might have been had my immediate family stayed together.  Aeroplanes like families can be so beautiful but when they crash, they really do "burn the landscape." 

Until next week when I am able to post 'Sing' in the 'Old for New' challenge, this is 'Aeroplanes'.  I'll jump in with reviews over the weekend when I have a little time off from work.

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/aeroplanes

Aeroplanes

This is my life, not like the plan,
a broken man who lost all he held dear.
If you could know if you could see
the winding road that shaped this destiny.

To my children far away,
what will you think when you grow old?
I couldn't stand the depth of pain.
It burned the landscape like an aeroplane.

The sky turned red, the runway cleared.
The streets we walked then disappeared.
If you could know, if you could see
the winding road that shaped this destiny.

To my children far away,
what will you think when you grow old?
I couldn't stand the depth of pain.

Written by Paul Vasey
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 09:31:04 PM by Wicked Deeds »

robertwill

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 09:31:20 PM »
Very hypnotic and soothing. I do think that this, and many of the songs that I have heard on this forum, could be made stellular using the talents of a professional music producer. It doesn't have to be a famous one costings millions; just someone who specializes in the craft and can make everything great. These people exist and the costs are reasonable.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 09:51:00 PM »
Really lovey, Paul

Great stereo image without being overblown. Great introspection without being overwhelmed by it. Sounded like the end of the sound file cut off a little suddenly? I was sold on it long before then though!

Quite a beautiful thing.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 09:53:47 PM »
Beautifully sensitive song from the heart @Wicked Deeds I love the bongos and those delicate strings and beautiful acoustic guitar with the harmonic, it’s great that you leave the drums out. Obviously a very personal song but so, so well done. All power to you Paul ❤️

Carlonely

• Busker
    • SOUNDCLOUD
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 11:37:23 PM »
A truly lovely song!

I especially love the stripped down acoustic arrangement and the way you used he strings as a rhythmic tool rather than creating a big emotional soundscape which would have made the song less personal.

Carlonely - JonasK

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 09:00:04 AM »
Hey. @Wicked Deeds Paul. I love the intimacy of the arrangement here and also your vocal performance, understated but absolutely perfect of the sentiment of the song.

You're inviting the listener into a very emotive time of your life, and that is a very brave thing to do. I'm not sure I would be so brave.

Beautiful.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 09:58:31 AM »
Lloyd Cole has an album called "Clearing out the ashtrays'. that's how I feel when I present songs like this.  I'm presenting songs/productions  that are not really to the standard tha I prefer.  It's clipping and isn't quite as it should be.  It was hiding away and I thought that it needed to be shared.  I'm an open book but it's also a quality that I value.  I'm no Van Gough but I adore his work and am intrigued by his life. I love that his work informed the world of who he was and how his life unfolded.  Without that honesty, what we would know about him? So, I try to follow his honesty in presenting my work.  I don't enjoy drama but often it is hard to avoid.  One significant event can cascade and impact multiple life events and so I write about them.  It gives my work authenticity and hopefully moves people.  My work is a journal.  I do many things in life but it is this task that perhaps I was meant to fulfil.

@robertwill, I'm working at about 65- 70 % here.  It's all about the emotion.  Production values are secondary.  The lyrics should be worked on further.  Clipping should definitely be addressed.  I should add a guitar solo in the centre too.  Perhaps if I can find the energy.  A trusted producer would be the way forward but this is how most people now create. It's about expression and not commercial success.  I do intend to turn a new page and really go for my productions as I once did.

@PaulAds, big thank you buddy!

@pompeyjazz,  thanks for understanding this song my friend.

@jonasK, I can see that you understand this song for the raw emotion that it holds.  I may revisit the track to complete it in accordance with all of the little niggles that exist in its current format. 

@Nick Ryder,  it's 'three chords and the truth' my friend'. I'll write and produce other songs that are not so personal.  For now, as LLoyd Cole says, I'm "Clearing out the ashtrays".   thank you for listening and reviewing and your valued opinion.

Paul

« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 10:35:08 AM by Wicked Deeds »

TheMagicalPorciniClub

• Busker
    • The Magical Porcini Club
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 11:06:00 AM »
My first review on this forum. Great start. Quite hypnotic as people have already mentioned. I like the personal element of it, and the instrumentation. The one criticism I would make is the voice, not in timbre, I like all types of voices and I don't think you need to be mariah carey or whoever to sound good, but rather the choice of melody. It sometimes feels like it's following the chords a bit too much, and is too repetitive. Hypnotic does not have to be repetitive. I hope that makes sense, and also, it might just be a personal thing. But, the words are good, and overall I would say a good song! :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 09:46:14 PM »
Hi Paul.

A lovely,deeply personal piece of music. This resonates.

The hurting always seems to produce the best song,doesn't it.

Thanks for sharing Paul.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 07:56:44 PM »
Emotion oozing beautifully from this song, which I see as your trademark as a songwriter. From an arrangement perspective, the interplay between the lovely piano and the picked guitar is gorgeous - the harmonics are lovely..

Gorgeous, heartfelt song and clever and polished delivery.. Lovely, @Wicked Deeds

Karen

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 12:34:19 AM »
Just lovely Paul ! beautifully done, The piano tone is spot on for this!
love the guitar harmonics, and your vocals capture all the emotion !
Great work !

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 09:08:52 AM »
Hey Paul - that was quite emotional to listen to. "not like the plan" is often the way, but you delicately reveal the tangle of feelings and relationships that this implies for you (and your boys). I hope and think that you have a lot to be happy for in the end; but no matter how happy, these thoughts are always thereabouts. Thanks for letting us in to see them and reflect on where we might be on that scale.

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 11:16:45 AM »
oh god this pulled on the heartstrings, as a father and luckily still happily married(not sure how she puts up with me tho) but i cant imagine being away from my kids. @Wicked Deeds this is heartbreakingly beautiful. awesome job

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 12:36:54 AM »
Hi @Wicked Deeds

A classy song. Your usual deft touch with thoughtful lyrics on display and with a delicately handled musical accompaniment it makes a rather special song. No real useful suggestions from me - just my congratulations.  :)

Nice one,

CCB

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2023, 12:41:32 AM »
There really is some fabulous music on the forum right now and this is no exception. Like CCB, no suggestions or crits from me because this is a great track, nothing more I can say. :)