DONKEY ROBS A BANK "Headline Competition"

• 16 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: April 23, 2021, 08:10:51 PM »
Following tonight's discussion on the zoom chat, we have agreed to start releasing songs for the 'Headline' challenge/competition. The format is to release a new song every three days.  It was suggested that I should first release my track "Donkey Robs A Bank" and that it would remain on the thread without anyone else posting for a period of three days. Next will be @pompeyjazz as the the second participant to post, again no other entires will be posted until three days have elapsed.  Thereafter, songs will be posted every three days.  This should ensure a steady posting of songs and will, very much keep the thread alive.  Songs are to reside in the finished songs section to attract maximum interest.  If anyone currently has a song in the finished songs section it is ok to also post their completion entry.  The two week rule does not apply.

I was at work on Friday evening when the song titles were released so it wasn't until Saturday Morning that I discovered I had what I thought was a horrendous title.  How wrong could I have been!  This was a delightful title to write around!  I wanted to drop hints throughout the song, introducing the central character as "A Cowboy"  but thereafter introducing clues giving this characters true identity away "I'm not your archetypal, yet I'm where it's at." Anyway, enough. Let the Donkey tell his story..........

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/donkey-robs-a-bank

Donkey Robs A Bank (Cowboy)

I’m a cowboy, Texas bound,
An outlaw, duty-bound.
Handsome in my stetson hat.
Not your archetypal, yet I’m where it’s at!

I’m a cowboy on the midnight train.
Sexy, with my long black mane.
Lay down that peacemaker.
I canter by; I’m a world-shaker.

I’m a safe bet.
With dynamite, I’ll blow your world apart.
There’s nothing as dark as my heart.
I’m a bad seed.
I’ll be your steed!

I’m a cowboy.  I won’t be reined.
This is a hold up.  We’re talking fiscal gains.
Wanted, from state to state.
The hangin’ sheriff wants to fix a date.

I’m a cowboy.
I’m a cowboy.
I’m a cowboy.
I’m a cowboy.

A deadly heist.
As cold as ice.

I’m a cowboy, Texas bound,
An outlaw, duty-bound.
Handsome in my stetson hat.
Not your archetypal, yet I’m where it’s at!

The newspaper headline….

“The Donkey Robs a bank”
“The Donkey Robs a bank”
“The Donkey Robs a bank”
“The Donkey Robs a bank”

Written by Paul Vasey April 2021

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/donkey-robs-a-bank

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 09:55:05 AM by Wicked Deeds »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 08:38:27 PM »
I love what you have done here @Wicked Deeds I wondered how all of the headlines would be interpreted. You tell a great story and great use of equine snippets. Musically, it really bounces along. For some reason it reminded me slightly of the Pet (Donkey) Shop Boys. Stetsons off for being so creative and pulling this out of the nosebag. Hee Haw  :)

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 08:42:45 PM »
Sorry I missed the end of the meeting, but this is a brilliant start to the competition. I love what you've done lyrically and the song is clever. A serious contender! I enjoyed this :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 01:46:54 PM »
@pompeyjazz and @ChrisPrice,
Thanks fellas. Good to see you both at the zoom meeting.

Paul

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 06:17:55 PM »
Very versatile there Paul, nice use of synths, loops and weird and wonderful sounds, not a guitar in sight. Very unusual for you, but I suppose it’s also unusual for a donkey to rob a bank.  ;)

You build this up really well, both in the melody which sounds like it’s smouldering ready to explode, then all the cowboy stuff before the final reveal. You obviously had much fun doing this and the enthusiasm comes out at the other end too.

What else can Donkey do? You could have a whole concept album in the making. Well done anyway, smashing entry and kudos for being first one out of the traps.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 09:16:49 PM »
@Wicked Deeds  though I’m not taking part in this challenge I’m really intrigued with what people come out with... what a brilliant start! Absolutely love the sounds you’ve used in this... the subject is frankly bonkers!🤪 that’s not your fault though!😁 you may have your tongue in your cheek, but this is a super catchy song... and the sound palette is brilliant... would you share how you made the binky boinky under water sound? That’s ace!👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 11:44:23 AM »
Hola @ guapo cowboy @Wicked Deeds

The truth is that this headline is difficult to be developed and you have achieved a well-oiled and logical story using well-chosen equine animal terms.
A funny story and a very bad bad guy ... 

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 12:17:27 PM »
Hi @Wicked Deeds
Clever, witty, knowing wink delivery, lovely totally inappropriate musical palette that works perfectly and so many ideas bubbling out of the song. What is there not to like about this? Glad I'm not entering as I'd be wasting my time trying to better this. Sublime.
m

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 07:47:40 AM »
Can’t add much to what’s already been said.

Fab, playful and funny lyrics. Thought you were snookered when you drew that headline...but you not only escaped the snooker, but potted the bastard too.

Sounds like a man on top of his game and able to turn his hand to anything. A very high bar set for the challenge with the first entry.

Gags and clever twists and turns a plenty here...and all wrapped in a musical production that is quite different from the vast majority of great stuff you spoil us with...whilst still being excellent.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 08:41:21 AM »
@Wicked Deeds You got a tough headline, but the good news is that you didn't make an ass of your self with this one :) Musically a great vibe and an entertaining lyric, possibly reads even better if you don't know the context!

Kevin

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 01:56:52 PM »
Some great sounds and ideas in this .. I would like to hear it pushed along with a nice, deep bass line though.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 02:24:47 PM »
@Wicked Deeds

Hi Paul, first out the gate on this one ;). Great interpretation of a difficult title and subject. I'm glad someone has taken the route one lyrical step to interpret as if real, I was thinking most would go for the comedic angle. Gives me some hope for my effort when i get it finished.... Can't top what everyone else has said, great work.

Cheers

Jamie

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 12:53:36 PM »
Probably the most enjoyable session that I have ever had at the songwriting table. My working title was called "goofing around".  I didn't intend to take this seriously then a direction began to develop and I had to give this song the attention that it deserved.  @man made material, the wonderful bubbly synth sound is called "Artificial Mind Arp synth" and it was lifted directly from the excellent royalty free Logic Pro X loop library.  The skill was in deciding where to place this beautiful sound. I have been such a purist as a musician for many years, mostly relying on my musical ability to play every instrument.  As the title was so crazy, I thought 'what the hell'  and delved into the Logic library, cutting and pasting and rearranging.  I guess in a way it's the same as choosing chords and the duration of each to assemble a song structure and then going about the business as a top-line writer. It still requires a great deal of thought and dedication. @PaulAds - I'm writing this from my beachside apartment  :) and would like to say a big thank you for the very generous compliments that you often send my way. They are never taken for granted and are totally heart-warming and encouraging.  I owe much of my current success to Marie who has brought peace to my life, enabling me to explore my writing potential.  Thank you for all of the comments that have been posted.  I know how difficult it can be when we all have very busy lives.  Thank you.

Paul

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 01:02:52 PM by Wicked Deeds »

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 02:39:14 PM »
I felt sorry for you with that dog of a title @Wicked Deeds but I needn`t of worried..clever lyrics & musically something quite different from you. Love the Prefab influence & it stays interesting all the way through. Nice work & hats off for getting it done so quickly.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 11:32:56 AM »
Wow, I didn't know what to expect but this one really grabbed me - such a great atmosphere and choice of instruments and sounds.
And the lyrics had me smiling all through.
Just superb - and I love the way you can turn from deeply personal, thought-provoking creations to ones like this that are so entertaining (but still elegant and intelligent).