In Liverpool

• 21 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: December 23, 2020, 07:30:21 PM »
Some time ago, I wrote a song called 'In Liverpool.'  I knew the moment that I had began to write,  that it was simply heartbreaking.  It brought tears to my eyes as the melancholy chords walked across my heart.  The lyrics crashed into my world like the most wonderful, yet devastatingly powerful steam train.  Trains are quite appropriate since the seeds of this song were born one beautiful night on a train platform in the city of Liverpool, England.

In the first carriage, the people on the train observe a scene through the frosted glass where a woman picks up confetti from the base of the huge city centre Christmas tree,  She smiles, the most fantastic smile of joy and wonder.  Anything is possible.   The confetti is thrown into the air and it falls like winter snow.  All is clear again and the train thunders down the track. 

The travellers watching from the second carriage, observe the new scene.  "Let Rock  'n' roll caress your ears.'  Two lovers are dancing in The Cavern.  "Wow, this woman can dance"  I hear one of  the passengers say.  The final chord to 'Twist and Shout' rings out loud and clear then fades. The Cavern club is no more. 

From the third carriage the travellers see a man and woman laughing and joking on the platform.  The scene stirs the thoughts of an older couple.  They smile and hold hands reminiscing over  a not dissimilar scene many, many years ago.  They both share wisdom and love. They smile and her hand caresses his without the need for words to be spoken.  All is well. 

The train doesn't stop but why would it?  The two are but ghosts celebrating the best of times.  The station clock will always read 10:45 pm.  The man and and woman will never board the train.  They will remain upon the platform forever.  As the years go by, she will place a million jelly sweets into his mouth until he cannot speak through his laughter. 

The fourth carriage hurtles past and the passengers are warmed by this beautiful winter scene.  "It won't last" says the guy who raises his head from the newspaper which, has until this time captivated his attention. Wisdom is such a great gift but not this kind!

The two lovers remain  'beneath the shuffling city groove' , 'Her platform smile will haunt the tracks, In Liverpool. they won't be back.'

I made a sketch of this song and presented it in the WIP  section some time ago.  It was one of those songs that I couldn't revisit (it was too painful to do so) though I truly believed in it's beauty.  About a month ago,  I began to produce this quite effortlessly.  I then sent it to Andy Cruise and he wrote a beautiful string arrangement.  Both were really two stand alone pieces but I decided to let Andy's string arrangement tell it's own story before allowing it to drift gently into the song 'In Liverpool.'  I'm not sure if Andy was on the train that raced though Liverpool and was watching the scenes unfold on the platform and many more besides.   It was beautiful to hear and yet it filled my heart with sadness as if the emotion evident in his string arrangement was born  from the observations of a passenger who had witnessed all of the aforementioned from the train.  Perhaps the train ride afforded him an opportunity to observe The Iron Men of Crosby awaiting a beautiful sunset or the the kites flying along the coast line of Formby beach.

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/in-liverpool-mastered

In Liverpool

In Liverpool, confetti falls like winter snow.
In Liverpool, we’ll never kiss, we’ll never go.

I recall the best of times
when music played and couplets rhymed.
Where Christmas lights beneath the tree
had made a place for love to be.

In Liverpool, our love will stay, we’ll rue the day
We ever left two lovers there.  Do you know where?

The station clocks will never move
beneath the shuffling city groove.

Her platform smile will haunt the tracks.
In Liverpool, we won’t be back.

In Liverpool, Liverpool no more.

Written by Paul Vasey

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/in-liverpool-mastered
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 08:09:16 PM by Wicked Deeds »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 10:30:18 PM »
A pleasant Christmas offering. Nice blend of the string "overture" followed by the emotional song. No nitpicking from me.

simonjol

• Busker
  • Love to write and discuss music :)
    • The Confederation
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 10:37:06 PM »
Very intimate and touching piece, your strings arrangement is very polished and vocal delivery is really strong. Heartfelt without being too sugary and a melody that unravels your words and feelings. A great ode to a great city and clearly very close to your heart. Top drawer stuff.

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 02:49:02 PM »
This is just a really fine piece of music. The long string intro is perfect and the way it transitions into the song is even better.

Great story and well told in song.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 07:52:15 PM »
jiña @Wicked Deeds

Qué buena escucha!!! It has been so good listening! The intro takes you to memories of sounds and so many good things. It's nostalgia we all recognize prepares the wonderful guitar and voice apparition. This afternoon I am having very goof listening to the songs on the forum and this one is wonderful, wonderful.
The mix sounds great, each level on its level. Thanks for sharing.

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 08:38:47 PM »
It's a lovely feeling when a song connects with the listener. Increasingly I'm beginning to write about the ideas behind my music and lyrics. I take real enjoyment in the writing of the introductions and they are almost an extension of the writing process. It occurred to me that a book of lyrics and accompanying stories would be something that I would like to publish. I guess, that it would probably only appeal to a handful of family mrmbers as a keep sake. Still, I like that.

@moraamarolaloba, @unclenny, @CaliaMoko

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 12:54:01 AM »
Hey there...........I was skeptical, at first...........but, settled in for the ride, and found myself in a tranquil mood......drifting with the melody and romance of Liverpool.
Pretty good stuff, there. You make Liverpool sound great!!
As was earlier stated, some fine writing!!
                                                                          -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 01:51:58 PM »
@Wicked Deeds
Kudos to you for being brave with the long string intro - I'd have shortened it down by half but it's beautifully done. I'm very fond of this kind of nostalgic, poignant writing which beautifully expresses your emotions. I was a bit surprised by the brevity of the song (apart from the string intro) and I think you could have developed your ideas a little more fully in additional lyrics. Sorry to nit pick but you are so good at this that I want to squeeze the best out of you!
Lovely thing.
M

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 02:13:40 PM »
@montydog,  Merry Christmas Alan 😀

Thank you so much for your review. 😀

It's great to hear your thoughts on this song.  I remember the night that I wrote 'In Liverpool.'  It was all about expressing my emotions. I could have crafted more verses but felt that I had captured my feelings. To develop this song further would really have been too painful. My emotions have been captured and laid bare in the brief presentation of the song in it's current format.  I sent it to Andy so that he could listen and then his wonderful string interpretation was sent back to me.  That in itself reopened old wounds and I couldn't believe how painful it was to listen, yet it was also a beautiful experience and so I let the strings wash over me. It was like exploring the past and the many experiences that I couldn't write about in my brief song. 

I really respect your review Alan.  On this occasion, this song couldn't be anything more than what has been presented.  I almost lost myself in the writing of this song.  As beautiful as I find it to be, I am happy that peace and love have returned to my life.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 02:28:43 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Kafla

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 06:43:34 PM »
I love this one ❤️

I did write the strings to accompany the music but I totally understand why Paul wanted to leave them out...I think as a writer you need to please yourself and without the strings the song works perfectly...

I also know Paul well from working with him a lot and his visionary approach to writing and production never ceases to amaze me...he hears things in his head and can create them authentically and I know every note is consider extensively...

I can hear the sadness and pain in this one and although there is the resolution at the end    “ In Liverpool, we won’t be back.

In Liverpool, Liverpool no more.” It’s the line before that is perhaps the most salient “   Her platform smile will haunt the tracks.“ ...it’s the most fragile of resolutions

It’s a beautiful song and production and one of my absolute favourites 😍

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 07:36:55 PM »
@kafla,

When I heard your strings, I was so overwhelmed with emotion. They reopened a deep injury. Their beauty seemed to paralyse my thoughts and transport me back to re- experience a million memories.  They told their own story or invited the listener to imagine a story. For me, it was almost like reliving the past with all of it's beauty and heart-ache.

'Her platform smile will haunt the tracks is indeed the most heart breaking lyric.

Thank you.

Paul

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:55:30 PM by Wicked Deeds »

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 09:45:12 PM »
Hi Paul.

Happy Xmas. Let’s get the controversial part of the review out of the way first, the string intro is definitely going to divide opinion. For me it’s far too long. Potentially could work on an album but for a standalone song it’s too much. I do like how it transitions into the song proper but needs no more than 10 seconds or so as a brief scene setter rather than 1 and a half minutes. Once the song starts it’s great. Love the piano, melody and overall vibe. It’s clearly very close to your heart so well done for all the dedication and the background info in the notes. Cheers Micky

Micky.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 02:06:32 PM »
Paul - This is a fabulous piece of work. I actually love the long introduction. Just adds to the whole ambience of the track. A quality piece indeed

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 10:30:19 AM »
Awesome quality on display here...i think the long intro serves well to set the scene in an old-fashioned album track setting.

Some of the best lines you could ever hope to find in a song and such a moving and heartfelt piece of music too.

Clumsy words in brief reviews like this can't do this song justice.

It's really fabulous.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 03:23:32 PM »
That long string intro sets it in eternity nicely.
Melancholy piano very touching.
Very beautiful song Paul.
Anything I say spoils it really....

Ha....just read the other reviews and Paul expresses it better

"Clumsy words in brief reviews like this can't do this song justice."
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer