konalavadome

Wheels Of Time

• 7 Replies

Wildkitty

« on: January 08, 2017, 04:45:07 PM »
Hi Everyone
This is the first song I'm putting online. I've written tons of music my whole life but this is the first time I wanna publish/promote it and see how people receive it.
The song is about hope and companionship, the lyrics are at the end of this post.
The guitars are all home-recorded, mostly direct-in. the vocals I did in a studio (I still think im a horrible singer though lol)
anyway, please share your thoughts, would love to know how you like the song. which artist/band does it remind you of?

songlink: https://soundcloud.com/wildcatofficial/wheels-of-time

lyrics:
Verse1:
Silence howls through the fields,
And winter stills the sea,
As I’m sailing against the wind,
Where no tomorrow shall be,
Chorus:
When wheels of time stop turning,
And all the birds have flown,
I will be here by your side,
Every day and through the night,
As we wait,
For the morning,
Verse2:
As I sit by the lake side,
And gaze into the distance,
I think about about my forgotten friends,
Oh Lord I miss them,

chorus

Guitar Solo

chorus

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:19:40 PM »
Well...I'm going to assume you'll be around awhile to give us the benefit of your insights in the general give-and-take of forum life; and, based on that assumption, I'll tell you some of what passed through my mind while listening to this song and reading your post and the lyrics.

First thing I noticed, before listening to the song, was your self-deprecating statement about being a horrible singer. It sounded a bit like fishing for a compliment or possibly an attempt to fend off any possible future criticisms of your vocal ability--just in case. Do you perform in public? If yes, I assume your attempts are received reasonably well or better.

My recommendation: don't apologize ahead of time. Just put it out there and see what happens.

Okay, now the song. I'm not good with production stuff, so I'll leave that feedback to those who are. I like to mess with words, so I paid close attention to your lyric. Right away I felt a logic disconnect.

For instance, in your first verse you have the silence howling through the fields while you sail against the wind. Wind is not silent. I also wonder how still the sea actually gets in the winter? I know you're going for a certain "feel" here, but I'm not sold on your choices for getting to your goal.

Another logic disconnect for me occurs in the chorus, when the "wheels of time stop turning" and yet days and nights continue to go by. Again I understand you're after a particular "feel" but I wonder if you maybe slightly missed the mark.

Now, these opinions are mine and certainly not authoritative in any way. So use them if you like, and ignore them if you don't.

I like your accompaniment, your melody, and your singing. I think your singing could be a little more confident, but there is a certain charm in the uncertainty of your voice.

I like your third verse a lot...although, there could be a small logic disconnect there, as well, since you are thinking about your "forgotten" friends. That one I can get on board with, though, as I take it to mean you have forgotten them up until now.

This is a song I wouldn't mind adding to my repertoire, although probably not in its present form. But I like the sound and feel of the music and the ideas you are trying to express.

I hope to see this piece developed a little more and look forward to your involvement in the forum. I think you probably have a lot to offer.

Vicki

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 05:28:06 PM »
Hi Kitty, I thought this was pleasant enough and nice and mellow. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your voice btw. Nice dreamy guitar and solo. Maybe you could have added some more dynamics to the song as it seemed to drift a bit. Anyway, just my opinion. Hope to see you partaking on the forum and reviewing some other members songs

Cheers

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:51:02 PM »
First thought:   EVERYONE hates their own voice.  Most people shouldn't.  You shouldn't. 

Second Thought.  What a nice little song.  Well played, well sung.  Well composed. 

Third Thought. . . Get that instrumental bridge a little further toward the front of the song.  The sooner the better.   It's a REAL strength.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 08:28:28 AM »
Hi,

Wish you had shared your work on here a little sooner! Liked this, quite a lot actually! Nice melodies and tell me "what's wrong with your vocal exactly??" sounded pretty good to me! Great guitar too!

Looking forward to hearing more from you and your comments on the work of others...

Cheers Phil

https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 04:36:22 PM »
Hi Wildkitty!
To start at the end, something reminds me of Rufus Wainwrigt. Something in
your voice.
As CaliaMoko said the lyrics have some inconsistency. But thematically
it goes well with the melody.
Your pitch is not perfect (mine is neither but I'm getting at it). I refer to both the singing
that's mostly ok(65% or so), but also the bends during the guitar solo. Going too sharp, or flat,
can really kill the moment. Apart from that the guitars are good.

Have you recorded other of your songs? Imo recording is a vital part of songwriting. Especially
if you write for your own repertoire. Making a 'final' take of a song can bring out the
perfectionist in anyone. In a good way.

Happy holliday!
- Martin

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:00:01 PM »
Hi Wildkitty,

A nice song, some lovely guitar and as others have said the vocals are fine. 
I was looking for some change in texture, some space, some punctuation. It was like reading a long paragraph, when 3 paragraphs would be better (for me). I would be keen to hear some of your other stuff.

Steng

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »
When I originally reviewed this, I intended to come back to it.  Took me awhile.  I have some suggestions (welcome to them, or welcome to discard them)  for your lyrics:  All the suggestions are related to flow.  It's not that I didn't think they flowed well in that first verse, but I thought it could have been more dramatic and a little smoother.  

Verse1:
Silence howlsing through the fields,
And winter stills the sea,
As I’m sailing my boat against the wind,
Where no tomorrow shall not be,

Chorus:
When wheels of time stop turning,
And all the birds have flown,
I will be here by your side,
Every day and through the night,
As we wait,
For the morning's light,