Dissecting Happiness

• 11 Replies

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« on: March 21, 2016, 08:25:15 PM »
Hi!

For this one I got some help with the words over in the lyrics forum from Vicky (CaliaMoko) - thanks a lot for that!

Dissecting Happiness

Once again this is part of my acoustic "Happy Folk" project. Any comments are very welcome, especially on the arrangement and production side.

Lyrics:

Hey-yeah, Hey-yeah, Hey-yeah

Why do you feel that it is wrong to be alright?
During the day you fear the shadows of the night.
And when the sun is shining proudly
you say the sky will soon be cloudy

Hey-Yeah....

Any new song is like a tune you've heard before
There is no pun that could amuse you anymore
Your food is generally cold and tastes too bland
When in the movies you always know how they will end

Dissecting happiness is your secret ploy
Discontentment is your single biggest joy
you rue the day dear old Lucy left the the woods
You prove the cause the world's no good

Hey-Yeah...

At the beach it's hot and you get sand into your pants
When you eat ice-cream you can't stand those sticky hands
In the park you roll your eyes at children's laughter
Is it the quiet of a graveyard that you're after?

Dissecting happiness is your secret ploy
Discontentment is your single biggest joy
you rue the day dear old Lucy left the the woods
You prove the cause the world's no good

Hey-yeah...

Thanks a lot, Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

SJ-Salem

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 03:11:20 AM »
Hi Wolfi

Just a quick first impressions on the arrangement and production side of things as requested. (That's more my bag anyway!)

I thought the arrangement was good. I like the addition of the piano, good use of saving a layer for the 2nd verse to grab the listeners ear again. The guitar breakdown and bridge were nice, perhaps could have used a bit more of a 'big finish,' maybe some backing vocals or strings on the last chorus?

Production wise, my key point would be that the percussion didn't really cut through the mix, it got a bit lost under everything else. Perhaps making something that's supposed to resemble kick have a bit more bass and low end, not so that its muddy, specifically a bit more 50-100hz for the thud. and for other percussive elements a bit more high mids so they can cut through without feeling muddy, 1k-3k?Still leaving room for the vocals to sit in the middle :)

I imagine you had them quiet in the mix as if you turned them up it would sound to muddy? A little EQ could fix this.

Sorry to waffle on about 1 specific and minor point! Great work though

SJ Salem

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 06:43:20 AM »
Strange title ???
but a good song actually..liked the hey yeah bit and the chord prog is very nice,
some harmonies on the hey yeah bit would be nice and maybe the guitar could stop somewhere for a short rest..

good work though.. :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 06:47:58 AM »

Hi Wolfini,

Agree with SJ about the production, and the big finish

I thought the arrangement was good. I like the addition of the piano, good use of saving a layer for the 2nd verse to grab the listeners ear again. The guitar breakdown and bridge were nice, perhaps could have used a bit more of a 'big finish,' maybe some backing vocals or strings on the last chorus.

For me, it would be good to vary something a bit more in the track. The chords are quite same throughout, until you hit the bridge, and you could probably move them around a bit?

But it's a lovely song, great shuffle vibe throughout, so nice one mate!!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 08:21:11 PM »
I'd echo most of the sentiments already expressed. The song is solid,but the production lets it down. Drums are muddy,indistinct and way back in the mix. The guitar needs to be varied and lowered a little,it distracts from the vocals.

Sorry if all that sounds overly picky,but the song deserves to be heard properly.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:03:03 PM »
I don't object to the title at all.  Is it supposed to be a bit Bob Dylan-esque?  I thought the vocal came over very well over the instrumentation.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 09:05:09 PM »
Nice work, Wolfie. I agree with a few of the others - a couple of harmonies on the Hey Yeah might be nice. Love the chords - I don't mind the guitar volume. I like the lyrics, too, although I think you could pick a different line as the title - You Rue The Day - (or just Rue The Day) for example.

Good listen though - enjoyed it, and I enjoyed the message!
West Country Country Boy

KaelJay

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 09:15:10 PM »
I think the accompany and the vocal tend to awkward balance themselves. In some parts, the guitar over-power the vocals and vice versa.

I don't mind the title at all, but I like the suggestion of 'Rue the day'

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 10:40:44 PM »
Hi mate,
Not much to add that hasn't been said before.Its well sung man,but yes the drums/percussion don't cut through at all and distract a little bit.The playing is very nice.And the lyrics are good,so it's def worth polishing it up a little more.

Keep at it man!  ;D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 11:50:14 PM »
Hi Wolfi. I love your attitude. This sounds like something from the first summer of love. Its a great melody and although your vocals are different I have grown to love them and really look forward to listening to your new sounds. A big thumbs up for me. I will be humming this all night. Infectious  :)

Cheers

Pompeyjazz

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 03:22:39 AM »
 Hey, Wolfi,

I don't have much to say here...I don't know enough about production yet. But I enjoyed listening to the song; I like the way it sounds.

And you're welcome for the really nice "thank you" in your post! :D

Vicki

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 12:18:03 PM »
You do these "I can't be happy" songs so well - I always appreciate the originality in your lyrics. I did have to go back to the lyrics section to find out who "Lucy" was, however, so maybe a bit too subtle with that one?

I liked the production (piano very nice when it entered) but didn't absolutely love it. Perhaps the guitar sound could have been a bit further back in the mix in places?

But a great song concept and some really good lines in there.