That Perfect Somewhere

• 11 Replies

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« on: February 19, 2021, 08:05:20 AM »
Hi everybody,
Here`s a little song looking forward to a time when we can escape to a sunny place ,maybe Benidorm or Margate ? , get smashed on Tequila & forget our everyday problems.
Written after a fallow couple of months in darkest January, its trying to escape somewhere (probably back to 1966). Soundcloud hasn`t got a song genre called "Frivolous" or "Twee" but if it did this would be there.
I very kindly offloaded over only 26 tracks  ::) to @pompeyjazz who managed to pull together a song out of my "erratic" recordings. Big thanks for his hard work to get it listenable. The good news is its only 2½ minutes long so you can listen to it while boiling a runny egg. As always I`d appreciate any feedback & thanks for listening. :)
That Perfect Somewhere
Pack your bags & come along with me to that perfect somewhere.
I`ll show you things you`re never going to see in my perfect somewhere.

Is there life before death? I doubt it...its cowshit !!
I`m probably wasting my breath but come with me,convince me.
And when your choirs of dancing men have disappointed you again I`ll take you to a place to see where happiness is in all of us.

Take my hand & come along with me to that perfect somewhere
We`ll leave here early & be home for tea in that perfect somewhere
Out of reach but never out of mind that’s my perfect somewhere
I know its out there but its hard to find. It’s a perfect somewhere.

She`d always planned to get higher. She owned it, pre Covid.
I`ve never seen her perspire but shes sweating & expecting.
Who knows it could be Josh or Ben ? ( but she won`t hear from them again) and she`ll be all alone to see that happiness can`t be second guessed.

Call me shallow but I still want more & I will search for a way.
Its quite elusive but I`m pretty sure I will find it one day.
One day..one day..someday.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 01:52:40 PM »
@5 guys named Lars @pompeyjazz

Hi guys, some great chord changes in there and the arrangement and instrumentation is spot on. Love the lyric and the feel of it.
Great job guys! Excellent.

Cheers

Jamie

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:02:18 PM »
@5 guys named Lars,

This one creates a real holiday feeling for the listener. I especially like the bass that underpins this instantly catchy  tune, wearing it's Beach Boys and Beatle influences unashamedly.  Great juxtaposition of happiness with a true twist of darkness pervading throughout.

Wicke Deeds

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:28:05 PM »
I absolutely love this! Such a 60s feel to it.. The lyrics are great and the melody is greater.. (particularly at the ends of the verse lines)  Fab BVs!!

LOVE this:
And when your choirs of dancing men have disappointed you again
I`ll take you to a place to see where happiness is in all of us.

One note: there's something funny happening at 0.22.. Forgive me if it's by design and I'm just not cool enough to get it! :)

Quirky and fabulous!

K

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 12:18:48 PM »
Love the sixties vibe, kind of reminds me of early Pink Floyd. There quite a lot of fairly complicated stuff going on but it comes together really well. Interesting ending!

One question: I notice there are no drums, which definitely works well on this track. I often struggle with getting a drum track that fits, particularly when there is a lot of variation in the timing of the rhythm. Was that a conscious decision of did you try it with drums and decided to drop them? Just curious, because if often comes up for me.

Thanks,

Kevin

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 04:08:12 PM »
@5 guys named Lars
Loved the Beach Boys feel and the whole lovely mid 60's vibe to this. This works so well without drums and is such a clever recreation of the "Pet Sounds" production. It feels so summery and optimistic - just what we need in lock down February. Super vocals, lovely tune and a balm to the aching soul.
M

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 04:52:06 PM »
The Beach Boys connection has already been mentioned, as has the lack of drums which would be my only criticism. That would be the icing on the cake. A great song, no doubt about that. :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 12:08:27 AM »
Sparkles with originality and would be breaking barriers, were it not for the fact that this is far too cool to acknowledge that there are any barriers anyway.

Genius stuff and a fab job by John to help pull it all together.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 11:04:57 AM »
Hi Chris, I love the juxtaposition of the nutty upbeat tune with the lyrics battered by the disappointments of the world, no life before death indeed. Very English oddball stuff, amazing how guys called Lars can come up with this kind of quirky offshore stuff.

I thought it was a kind of sister tune to Wonderful Lowlife in a way, and your signature sound is there in both, but this time emboldened by John’s impactful and varied production selling the joy -and the joylessness. Lots of cool quite unique sounds coming from your camp and this one is one more very enjoyable ride indeed.  :D lyrics are great.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 08:40:30 AM »
This has a great feel of a Friday night - sort of a frantic relaxation. There's a lot packed in here and the Lars are unmistakably back.

Cowshit! Pre-covid! Sweating and expecting! Brilliant rhymes.

Lovely orchestration from John, it's all rather fabulous.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 12:35:31 PM »
This is absolutely delightful guys :) It's such a happy feel good song...a total reflection of the 60's vibe with the introspective lyrics and all. I want to go back to the 60's with you guys 8) This is such a lovely break from all the doom and gloom that's going on right now, but things well get better I'm sure.
Great job on the polishing John  8)

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »
@Jamie @Wicked Deeds Thanks for listening boys & the nice comments.  :)
@MonnoDB Cheers Karen, glad you liked it.Yes you`re right there is something at 0.22, not by design. I think its either one of my involuntary stomach movements or a minor asthmatic spasm.Could also be the sound of the Beach Boys spinning in their graves. :D
@kevysc Thanks for the nice comments Kev. Yes I`m rubbish at drums. I can often hear the overall sound of the song when I`m writing but never drums, so I normally just have a beat & if I`m really adventurous slap my thighs around a bit.  :)
@montydog Thanks for the lovely comments Alan. Really appreciate it.
@ChrisPrice Cheers Chris. Yes, you`re probably correct about the drums but as I`ve just mentioned I couldn`t hear any.
@PaulAds You don`t half talk some bollocks sometimes !! ;D
@MichaelA Many thanks Michael.We`ve watched countless episodes of "Michael McIntyres Big Night In" so consider ourselves almost normal English.
@adamfarr Cheers Adam. :)  "Frantic relaxation" is a very apt description. You should see me trying to meditate..its bloody chaos. :D
@crystalsuzy Many thanks Suzy for listening. Unfortunately I`m heading for the 60`s much quicker than I`d hoped. :(