konalavadome

Are You Sure? - full version

• 5 Replies

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« on: February 03, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
Ok so I've finally finished the songs Are You Sure. I posted some lyrics to it a while ago and this is I ally the full version that people wanted to see. Please feel free to give me some feedback and ways to improve it.

Are You Sure
Verse
Faking smiles,
Is all we know,
But sometimes mine are real,
Searching for your ghost,
But you hurt me,
So so bad,
Now I'm searching,
For the life we had

Pre chorus
Who are you,
And what are you doing to me,
We've grown into strangers,
In each others company,

Chorus
Are you worth the constant floods of tears,
Are you worth being my number one fear,
Are you sure what you're doing is right,
Am I sure I can put up a fight,

Verse
Awkward silences,
Make me want to leave right there,
Or we could forget about everything,
Even the death glares,
But now we've fallen,
We've hit the ground,
I'm searching for everything,
But the silence is too loud,

Pre chorus
Chorus

Bridge
We may want to
But we can't change the past,
I'm learning now in life,
Not everything lasts

We've grown into strangers,
In each others company

Chorus
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »
This is a really strong piece Boo! You certainly didn't disappoint. The pre-chorus and chorus are, as I said initially when you posted the lyrics the first time, very strong but you've built even stronger verses around them. This is riddled with great lines... the opening lines are very strong and engaged me straight away, very good songwriting. My favourite lines are 'but the silence is too loud' and 'I'm learning now in life not everything lasts'... great writing skill!

I really like your work and find it very strong yet at the same time very refreshing and I have to say this is the best piece I've read from you. I'd love to hear his one :)

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:36:53 AM »
Thank you so much for your kind words sing4me88. I wasn't to sure about the verses at first becaus wi didn't think they were that strong but it's nice to know you think the opposite. As for hearing, I don't think that will be happening anything soon. ;)

Innominate

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 01:01:44 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree with Sing4me88; I had a much different experience reading this. Please forgive me for the length, when I find a lyric that strikes me I tend to end up with a lot of thoughts about it. Also, there isn't any real reason to believe any of what I say, I'm just some random guy on the internet. I hope you get something useful out of my ramblings though.

The lyrics aren't particularly engaging for me, they feel very vague, very generic, and too safe(often cliche). Don't be afraid to come right out and be blunt and honest. You don't do that and I'm left wondering what exactly is your point? What is the message here? What are you trying to say in this song? I'm not sure it is effectively expressed. At least not for me. The message should be quite clear in the chorus and supported by the verses. But i'm not seeing that. The chorus asks a question but I don't really know why it's a question worth asking.

For example:

"But you hurt me,
So so bad,"

"Are you sure what you're doing is right,"

"We may want to
But we can't change the past,"

Obviously something happened, perhaps the source of this conflict? Yet you give no indication about what it was. Why should anyone care about the speaker when there are no details to engage or identify with? Why should we even be on your side? Maybe you're the problem? This is where the verse needs to explain and support your chorus. Explain why the question in the chorus is worth asking and make me care why you are asking it. While I might empathize with these feelings of confusion or doubt or fear in a vague way, without details, it's hard to really care. Details matter, they give context, texture, they invoke the senses and help tie feelings to a listener's own experiences, thus making it meaningful. There are no details in this, no locations, weather, colors, sounds, textures, objects or even names; even the action descriptions are super vague. For example:

"Now I'm searching,
For the life we had"

I don't know what that life was and you never really explain it. Maybe it's just another generic love affair? Why should I care that you're searching for it? If I KNEW what it was, what it meant, then maybe I could empathize and THEN I could really care.

Song Lyrics don't really have a lot of time to tell a story or explain things. Getting straight to the point by not being vague or elusive is often a better bet. Because of this, sticking to ONE main theme works well. This song should have a point, one solid message, one feeling. That point should be the chorus and be clearly expressed, emphasized by the verses for context and details. It's like you're trying to tell us something without actually having to say it. You're simply dancing around it and hoping we'll just get it. I don't.

That being said, I wouldn't post just to be mean. I found several interesting ideas in this song and I hope perhaps you take them and explore them into the focus of a song on their own.

"Faking smiles is all we know
But sometimes mine are real"

Right away this is a great theme. I don't know why this is the situation but I can speculate and it's gripping enough to do so. This could make a great chorus all on it's own as it contains a powerful theme. Plastic culture, disposable friends, shallow relationships, the burden of celebrity or social conformity, liking something you were raised you shouldn't, being a hipster(although you actually genuinely like some of it yet can't express it) are all possible song topics from this one set of lines.

"We've grown into strangers,
In each others company,"

This could be worded better but the idea is strong still. Putting "Out of" in the second line to contrast the "into" of the first would work well. That kind of wordplay is catchy and helps make lyrics memorable. The contradiction of familiarity creating something unknown is what makes this line so good.

'But the silence is too loud,"

Silence being deafening is not new, but I really, really would have liked some aural description before this line. Straining to hear music, listening for the wind, searching for the right chords, anything to do with sound would befit that line much better. It's a good line but it needs a better partner.

In summation, some great lines with strong ideas but hidden within lesser words. You can do better, I urge you to try.

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
Innominate thank you for spending the time writing what you did. Anything to help me improve. When I was writing it I wasn't t 100% sure on it and I actually understand where you are coming from about it being vague.

I know what you're saying isn't out of being harsh it's al just to try and help.

I want to be able to do what I can to improve an the advice you have given will hopefully help me.

Funkimunki78

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 05:28:44 AM »
A hook is what sells a song to an audience not the context of the song.

Boo , it seams to me you write from your heart ... Keep going let the emotion drive the flow , your not writing a novel I've uploaded a song I wrote for my wife to sound c  loud. If I had to explain the history would that make it more emotive ?. Music and songs are personal interpretation ...

If you want check it out same user name ... I don't know how to link it ...

Ps just checked out your profile I'm from BFD.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:46:11 AM by Funkimunki78 »