konalavadome

The Seasons Change

• 16 Replies

DonMar

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »
This is a fine theme, BooBoo, with some good imagery.  :)

I feel you could pack more punch by tightening up sections (e.g. shorter verses and bridge).
I'd also re-think the notion of seasons going from good to bad - as they simply transform from one phase into another. I suspect most people don't find autumn or winter 'bad' - after all, they each have their own beauty and mystery.  ;) My own favourite time of year is autumn. ;)

To allow for a smoother melody (if you plan to have music), you might want to even up the metering in your verses so that each line in V1 scans the same as the matching line in V2.
For instance, in V1, line 1 the metering is da DA da DA da DA da, while in V2, line 1 goes DA da DA da da DA da DA, and so on.

I've made further suggestions below. And I know I've heaped a lot on your plate for consideration. In fact, you have enough good material here for a couple of lyrics. Anyway, explore or ignore.  ;)

Donna

The Seasons Change

Verse
I watch the leaves in autumn,
Hang so bright, hang so proud,  For a smoother flow, perhaps 'Hang so bright and proud'.
But in the heat o their glory, Suggest something like 'prime' rather than 'heat'.
Slowly they tumble down,    Suggest 'They slowly tumble down' for a smoother flow.
It reminding me of us,
Of you and me,
Losing faith, losing touch,
Falling quietly,
The cool winter air sneaks in,  You might consider dropping the last 4 lines. I think that would give the previous lines more impact.
Making everything beautiful die,
Once I didn't think hat included people,
But what about you and I?   Grammatically correct: 'you and me'.

Chorus This is more like verse material. A chorus generally doesn't offer new information. It simply supports what's already in the verses.
I watch slowly, Suggest not repeating the watching thing, as it's used in V1. Try to give listeners fresh images.
The seasons change,
From good to bad,
Why couldn't it stay the same,
Why do people copy the seasons,
Change every so often,
When will it all be over,
When will it be stoppin'  Using the vernacular to force a rhyme with 'often' sounds odd.

This is a rough example only of an alternative chorus.
The seasons change
As feelings do
Not much remains
Of me and you
I find it sad
I find it strange
The way that you
And the seasons change

Verse
Children trample across the leaves,
Without a single care,
They smile ever so happily, Sounds very formal in comparison with the rest of the language. Show us rather than tell us.
In the crisp autumn air,
But unknown to them,
The leaves represent us, Suggest '...leaves could be us'.
Torn up, crumpled,
Broken, unloved,
Standing on our hearts, The tone of these last 4 lines is out of synch with the rest of the verse. Perhaps consider dropping them. Keep them for a different lyric. Nothing need be wasted.  ;)
So they go to flatline,
Can't make a new start,
We've reached our deadline

Chorus

Bridge Suggest a shorter bridge of 2-4 lines. Introduce a new element to pull the story forward. The text here is pretty much repeating what's in the verses. To add a touch of pathos, you could take the basic idea that's in the last 4 lines of V1 and create a bridge out of that. Or add a touch of hope by referring to springtime, when there's a possibility of love being renewed. Just random thoughts.  ;)
When will we welcome,
The summer season back,
Or even spring,
I remember when we had,
Trust with each other,
Faith in one another,
Now it's all gone,
The walls are torn down,
Floods of tears make their way in,
When no ones around

Chorus

[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:13:41 PM by Donna »
Life is too important to take seriously.

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

weaver

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 11:34:06 AM »
this song has a nice idea and some good imagery but I love Autumn and feel most at ease at this time of the year,I find natures change at this time very comforting,the colours are magnificent,so the sentiment of the song doesnt ring true for me,good work tho