konalavadome

Bare Bones (pay and display) PaulAds and CaliaMoko Competition Entry

• 39 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 05:23:19 PM »
Thanks for all the awesome comments! It never occurred to me this might be surprising to anyone. It's really fun to find it is.  ;D  Now, I want to do something musically wild. ;)

Vicki

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 07:04:09 PM »
Great interpretation of the competition rules.

Loved the lyrics, especially the pay and display chorus.

This collaboration works really well as your voices, though different complement each other well.

Well done

Sandeep☠

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
Thanks to all for commenting...really glad you liked it...it was great fun to do...and we honestly had no idea what would come of it...Vicki deserves an awful lot of credit...she came up with the most important "bare bones" chorus and was SO easy to work with.

ps i particularly loved the Wilco Johnson comment from Skub...that's exactly what i was aiming at - so thank you...i originally had the slightly bonkers idea of mixing Dr Feelgood with the theme from "the flashing blade" but gave up on that quite quickly  :D
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Day2Take1

• Busker
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 11:52:54 PM »
I loved the lyrics.  A lot.  I would love to hear this as a traditional music number as well.  with guitar and and multilayered vocal harmony.  It was stellar.  I love when I can learn something from a song.  Also lyrics  that tell a story.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 06:54:28 PM »
Hi

Bare Bones we pay and display is a very clever line.

Loved the energy in the song. Cool guitar work.
Great to hear another side to Vicki's vocals - suited the song perfectly.

"The Flashing Blade" - jeez, there's a blast from the past.

Another strong entry. I keep tearing up my top 3 list.

Digger

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 07:12:28 AM »
Yeah it works guys, high energy - your two voices counteract each other wonderfully and it comes together a treat. For me the biggest winner is the chorus. Not easy to find a catchy one, but you've got one here. Grabs you from the first listen. Great work.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 10:15:57 AM »
Guys
Great concept, lyrics and great tune. Lots of energy and catchy chorus. What's not too like, nowt I'd say.
Vicki i love you vocals over the too of this pop tune. Guitars all doing what they should an great drum ending too.
My only suggestion would be to just double the vocals on the chorus and leave Vicki on the story, it make the story a bit easier to hear, as sometimes the timings isn't tracked tightly.
Really like it, had another listen.
 :) :)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »
Wow! Really ... that's my review! I suppose I should justify it a little eh?

Love the guitar work and CaliaMoko's vocals (got a ring to it that!) Whole thing reminds me a little of Touchstone (little known UK band).

Personally I'd turn Vicki's mic a up a bit but that's nit-picking. This is brilliant just brilliant so ... Wow!
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »
Great collab guys. Vicki's vocals really cut nicely through the mix esp in the chorus. Reminded me of (wait for it...) Geddy Lee of Rush of all people :)
Nice song structure and guitar playing/chord progressions. Love the sound of that guitar - wish I could get anywhere near that :)

Great entry - good luck (not that you'll need it :))!
Paul

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 08:03:48 PM »
Ooooh Vicki you sound very sexy on this track!!!!  :o ;D ;)

This is really excellent! Great collab! The music is awesome!!! Very catchy!

The lyrics are great,but I expect nothing less from you two.

Did I mention how sexy your voice is on this Vicki?? You sound like you could sing a bond song!  ;D

Excellent work both of you.

Leo  8)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 12:44:27 AM »
Excuse me, I need to go dig out my belly dancing costume...oh drat! I gave it away...<<sigh>> I guess the sexy voice will have to be enough.

I sincerely appreciate all the wonderful remarks about my contribution to the collab. Paul's music made it pretty easy and his awesome story idea provided ample motivation. I enjoyed the process a great deal and now look forward to more collaborations!

markrosch

• Busker
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 03:26:33 AM »
Interesting track with lots of energy…kind of put off by the theme…yet it seems to work on some level.  I would have liked a bit more Vicki presence in the vocal with background / harmony only on choruses…but this is a rough mix and it gets you there! Drums could use a rework as it maybe lessens the vibe that should be there…crank the lead guitar a bit…I'm no mixer but just thinking out loud! Great effort😀

AdamHarkus

• Open Mic
    • The Blogging Musician
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 05:15:44 PM »
Definitely made it into my shortlist Paul and Vicki :)

Entertaining and lighthearted, but also great musicianship and performances.

Very catchy chorus, liked it a lot.

Cheers.

Adam.
The Blogging Musician @ https://adamharkus.com

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 08:18:45 PM »
Hell yes, Vicki finally released the inner rocker. I KNEW you had it in you, what a pleasant surprise!
Really enjoyed the song and performance, kudos to both of you!
Now too the bad news, in my opionion this terrific track is a bit let down by the mix (but as always this is very is very subjective so sweep or keep). It is not bad but I could lift the song so much more me thinks. A few suggestions:
I swear there is a bass guitar in there but it is so hard to hear when it should be driving the track relentlessly. Kick is also more or less MIA. Vocals don't glue with the music and it is not just a problem of the vox being to upfront in the mix.
If you are so inclined I'd be interested in giving the mix a shot, not saying it would be "better" but different at least. Drop me PM if so.