How important are rhymes and rhyming structures?

• 30 Replies

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« on: October 14, 2013, 04:43:41 AM »
I note that a lot of lyricists on this forum are not particularly concerned about rhymes so I am putting this question out there to see what people think. So please give me your opinion on this and if it turns out the rhymes arnt worth a tin of shit afterall then it will cut down my writing time by at least 90% :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 08:15:32 AM »
Depends on genre but if you are writing anything "mainstream" I personally think rhymes and a rhyme scheme are VERY important

Part of the joy of listening to a song is the subconscious expectation to anticipate and then hear a rhyme

The hard part is finding rhymes that sound natural and not forced - but it well worth the effort to satisfy the listeners

There are of course exceptions but this is my general feeling
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 08:52:04 AM »
I agree with Boydie. Lyrics have to rhyme - anything less shows laziness and lack of craft.

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:32:41 AM »
I really don't agree that lines need to rhyme

Although I think it totally depends on what your purpose is in writing - if you are trying to get a deal or a song published I can see why it would help

I feel it's more important to say what you really want to say and a lot of words sound nice when grouped particularly dependant on your emphasis and pronunciation

Each to their own I say ;D

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:46:05 AM by Kafla »

Rhysian

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »
I think this probably varies from song to song, depending on the style and desired effect.  In general though, I think that a good rhyming structure is important and plays a crucial role in making the lyrics flow.

Rhysian x

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »
I think rhymes can make something wonderful, and can give the listener a little buzz of excitement, or they can be dreadful, and make you feel like you're listening to the laziest cliche writing....

I'm gonna quote from Joni - obviously a favourite amongst millions, though not necessarily the place to look if you're looking for a gold standard of modern commercial material....

Born with the moon in Cancer
Choose her a name she will answer to
Call her green and the winters cannot fade her
Call her green for the children who've made her
Little green, be a gypsy dancer

He went to California
Hearing that everything's warmer there
So you write him a letter and say, "Her eyes are blue."
He sends you a poem and she's lost to you
Little green, he's a non-conformer

Just a little green
Like the color when the spring is born
There'll be crocuses to bring to school tomorrow
Just a little green
Like the nights when the Northern lights perform
There'll be icicles and birthday clothes
And sometimes there'll be sorrow

Child with a child pretending
Weary of lies you are sending home
So you sign all the papers in the family name
You're sad and you're sorry, but you're not ashamed
Little green, have a happy ending

....there is a structure and rhyming throughout, but it doesn't just spoon-feed you the obvious rhymes that you might be expecting...and some rhymes are half hidden just before the end of the line or between two lines that flow into each other without waiting to acknowledge that the rhyme is even there..... To me this is the most rewarding kind of lyric.

I think that not bothering with rhymes at all could be interpreted as lazy, but equally writing within a fixed metre and rhyme structure sometimes feels lazy too - if you are just looking for rhymes all the time (particularly if you're only looking for them in single-syllable words), this could allow you to be lazy and unimaginative with what you're trying say.

I like a good rhyme, and i guess most of what i write will tend towards fairly structured rhyming, but i try not to let rhymes dictate everything.... I really really really wish i could write as freely and cleverly as Joni!!!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »
Hi,
I don't favour either approach over the other. Sometimes i have bits that rhyme and bits that don't. I'd rather have it not rhyme than try and force a rhyme.
As for songs that don't use rhyme; i don't think Strawberry Fields Forever has much rhyme in it if my memory serves me.

Cheers,

Digger

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »
I have been thinking about this all day and have come to the conclusion that many of my favourite songs dont have a rhyming pattern

It's something I have never thought about - as caco writes it's more important that the words sound good together or even rhyme in different places in the line

Something I have come to appreciate more during my time on this forum is that it is vital you hold more flexible rules regarding songwriting - things I held in stone - such as not recording ideas - I now do

I don't think it's lazy for a lyric not to rhyme

Tinams lyrics that everyone is raving about (red hair ) doesn't have a rhyming pattern -it doesn't detract from the lyric IMO

I say go with what feels right , don't discount one method over another and keep an open mind :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:20:57 PM by Kafla »

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
yes lots of rhymes please
rhymezone makes it a breeze
so you can do it with ease
there was a young man from leeds
swallowed a packet of seeds
a beautiful rose
sprouted out his nose
but his ----- was covered in weeds  ;D

sorry to lower the tone....tone!
that was my boys fave limerick when they were young ...i hate to think what it might be now

andy i dont know what you mean red hair & matches doesnt rhyme  ???....it ryhmes all the way thru
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Kafla

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »
Sorry Tina - I can see that now

Normally singulars and plurals / using the same word would not be considered a rhyme -

Box and clocks

Her and her etc

But I totally accept in a song this would be ok  ;)

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
I think putting rhyming in songs makes it more fun and more challenging. Unless you use cheesy rhymes. Then I'm sorry but we can't be friends >:( ;)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 11:17:13 AM »
Is there a 'cheeseometer' app you can get so that when you believe you've constructed a marvellous rhyme it can tell you it smells like 3 month old stilton? ;D :o

Cheese
Jamie

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »
Want this app.Where can I get it? ;D
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
I like to hear quality rhymes in song structures.  I think it takes more skill to write to a rhyming scheme and accurately maintain/convey your meaning without compromise.  Of course, there are some great songs that don't rely heavily on rhymes but personally I take greater satisfation in the songs that I  have written that employ a solid rhyming scheme that accurately convey my ideas.  I think we're conditioned to expect rhymes from an early age and this is evident in the many nursery rhymes that we are subjected to as children.  I agree with Alan -  I could cut the writing time down considerably if I abandoned rhyming structures but equally I wouldn't find the same degree of satisfaction in my writing.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »
Is there a 'cheeseometer' app you can get so that when you believe you've constructed a marvellous rhyme it can tell you it smells like 3 month old stilton? ;D :o
Yes there is...it's called Jess ;D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle