konalavadome

How often do you write songs?

• 42 Replies

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 06:31:06 PM »
I agree it is possible to write 25 songs a day. But I would never do it or even try.
Writing lyrics and putting some chords to them on an accoustic guitar. I know if I picked my guitar up
I could write one in ten minutes right now, but it would be shit. It would be standard chords, standard lyrics ( which most of mine are anyway
because I don't really consider myself a good lyricist ) I'd be able to come up with the guitar in seconds, the lyrics a little longer.
To come up with something that isn't just bog standard though, you need time.
And the people who only write 7 songs a year, probably use a lot of time making it perfect, rather than just throwing anything out.

I'd be interested in hearing the music and not just reading the lyrics of 25 songs you wrote today?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:32:56 PM by Schavuitje »
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Sellon

• Open Mic
  • Disregard Everything I Say...

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »
i dont eat, drink or talk to another living soul mostly.
I'm severely mentally ill. and that's why i'm able to do it.
I have an overactive mind...
i have no friends because i'm ill...
i don't go out much anymore..no reason to... so just incase u don't believe me, all i have done for the past 1-2 years is write songs and play guitar and piano because i have nothing else, my head isnt straight if you read anything i write.
I sit in my room for long periods of time and do music...like i said, that's all i have right now... i'm just saying because i know i'll get someone going ''YEAH RIGHT SURE YOU DO'' and I can't be bothered with that...I'd have to explain this anyway.
 and i don't write 25 EVERY day, up to 25 every day. UP TO. between 1 and 25. and i have no recording equipment however I do have a mac with a mic, idk but thats shitty quality...
What if we both just smiled at once?

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »
So where are all these AMAZING songs? :P :P

I reckon I come up with about 2-3 song ideas a week. However, I only pursue a few of these ideas and complete them. Probably about 2 or so songs per month. I let them gestate for a while and then agonize over them. I manage to record them much slower. For a single song I probably spend about a total of a week tracking it and then the same again mixing it.....

I agree that people who churn out loads often dont have a quality control filter...just look at ryan adams. That kind of disappoints me because it means instead of getting 1 stunning album every 2 years or something, you end up with 3 so so albums....

The EP we have just put out (plug plug plug!) has but 5 songs on it. We've been working on them properly since about September. Although, if we working on things full time and not just evenings and weekends, everything would go a lot quicker....

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »
i know a guy from iceland who writes & records an album of songs plus artwork almost evry week i dont listen to them anymore becos i think they sound to similar but they are never rubbish & always well thought out  & well done ...he insists he lives a normal life!
i mean at 50/90 where you have to write 50 in 90 days he wrote recorded & posted 50 in a couple of weeks then registered again under a different name & did it all again & then collaberated with other people on more songs so it can be done
anyway i find  with the right enviroment i can become super creative & actualy prefer to write loads when im on a high for a few weeks & i always do my best stuff like this becos i need to be hyped up & motivated otherwise i get lazy & nothing gets done
anyway FAWM starts tomorrow i am realy hyped up & i am absolutley bursting to get started & just let it all out
....after its over i will hopefully have loads of stuff & then i will spend a long time just fiddling about with  it all & honing it :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Sellon

• Open Mic

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »
they're in my head. I don't tend to record things...
I don't like recordings of myself.
I used to, not anymore, they scare me.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 11:37:01 PM »
hahaha You scare me  :P
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Sellon

• Open Mic

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
i scare myself most of the time.
you're not alone.

didierleclaire

• Busker
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »
You guys should check out a book called "Songwriters on songwriting" by Paul Zollo. Many interviews with many songwriters. Writers like Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Brian Wilson, Dave Brubeck, Joan Baez, Burt Bacharach/Hal David, Frank Zappa, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Lenny Kravitz, Madonna, Alanis Morisette, the list goes on and on and on. A lot of these people also reveal how many songs they write, wich seems to be different for everyone.

Lee F

• Busker
    • Lee F Music
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »
I'll go through phases really. It's interesting to hear that some people can write multiple songs a day - I definitely couldn't do that because I usually immerse myself in each one until it's "done". I'd say I could happily write and complete a song every couple of weeks, but real life definitely gets in the way of that.

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 10:41:54 AM »
I write up to 25 a day, infact between july and now I've written 750 songs.
i dont understand why people find it hard to write, i find it so easy, I can write an ''amazing'' song in less than 5 mins (well what everyone says is amazing)
so when i see 7 songs in a year i'm klike what the hell?
ok, i'm not trying to catch anyone out here or be inflammatory , but if you never go out , speak to anyone   or have friends , and never record your songs , who the hell ever hears them to tell you they are "amazing" ?
 and if all that is true i think you should get some medical help and get a life ,
if you can write all these songs just sitting in your room,imagine the possibilities if you got out and actually got some "real life" experiences under your belt . i'm sad for you Sellon. :'(
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

QuietRamen

• Busker
  • Accordion. Yes. What?
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 06:47:20 AM »
Depends what's going on. But I'll usually write at least something down a few times a week, be it even a line or a verse or whatever. It would be awesome to do more, but I devote my brain to other things too, so it runs out of grunt xD
[insert amusing quote here]

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »
I find it really easy to start songs - I could easily start 3 or 4 songs a week

By start i mean have a basic chord structure, melody and a concept for the song

Unfortunately this approach is not very productive - and is actually counter productive

I have around 20 or so part written songs, which is as good as having no songs!!!!

I joined the forum here to encourage/motivate myself to complete my songs before I start writing new ones

So far this has worked and I have posted 2 - just 18 to finish!!!!

I am aiming to finish, record and mix 2 songs per month
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 02:36:02 AM »
I was the same as you and still am really :) This forum, and wanting to have something to post here, and all the great encouragment
and advice you get, really does help with that. I got sick of posting half a song and saying," What do you think so far." So I decided
I'd try to finish them first before posting which made me work harder at them.
Looking forward ot hearing more of what you finish :)

Soul Punk

• Solo Gig
  • Wild hearts... Blue jeans and white T-Shirts
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 12:45:41 PM »
I write quite alot of LYRICS
some are good, some really aren't so good

I am very self critical and without sounding too artsy need inspiration
but the other side of the coin is I drive a forklift full time so that kinda dictates

Capitalist bastards!

If I'm brutally honest I'm more of a poet with a deep love of music than a musician
so I cant comment on the length of time to write music itself

Gary
Wild hearts... Blue jeans and white T-Shirts

LiamDine

• Busker
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »
Tupac famously wrote and recorded three songs a day at his peak, I dont think it was counter productive to be honest, it gets your mind stuck in the process, ive found the more I write the better it gets.

I try at least one full draft of a song a day, most of the time upto three.

Eminem famously wrote and recorded three songs in the studio the day he met Dr Dre, two of which made it onto The Slim Shady LP, in my opinon lyrically the best album of all time.

at his peak he was writing songs that made it onto multi platinum albums in 20 minutes.

Everyones process is different , you just need to go with what works, ive found forcing things produces the worst music.