Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

Songwriting books

(1/3) > >>

Laup:
Hi

I am looking for a songwriting book which is quite heavy on music theory and useful tips for songwriting.

Many thanks,

Paul

Royston:
Hi

There's three books that are worth a look

1. Inside The Art Of Songwriting - Jimmy Webb (I have This one)
2. Six Steps to Songwriting Success - Jason Blume
3. Craft And Business of Songwriting - John Braheny

Hope these might be of some help.

Cheers

Boydie:
@Laup

Music theory is really difficult to learn from a book

I would suggest checking out a structure online course (rather than random YouTube videos)

I would really recommend this course:
https://www.shawacademy.com/courses/music/learn-music-theory-practice-online/

You would then end up with a formal qualification as well (Diploma in Music), which is always nice to have

You may also want to check out this post that relates to a podcast that a few of us on the forum did a few years ago:

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9447.0

Unfortunately I do not think the actual podcast is available but I describe the key points of chord theory for songwriters

Finally, if you are looking to write commercially viable songs then I can also recommend the book  "Six Steps to Songwriting Success" by Jason Blume

cowparsleyman:
Music theory has a reputation for being a bit dry, and very difficult, much depends on the instruments(s) you’ll be applying the theory to.

I can only speak from my experience, I taught myself to Grade V theory (ABRSM) with no outside help, i just started with grade 1 is really basic but take your time and don’t move on until you honestly understand what you have done. There is a work book and a couple of text books that accompany the exercise books.

Don’t expect to do it quickly, about a few months  per grade, (for me anyway...a bear of little brain)...

i would  recommend that you apply what you learn to your instrument, and in the early days forget the songwriting bit, if you are a guitarist there’s a couple of good books on how to read the dots on a guitar by Had Leonard...

Over the years I have taught  people how to play guitar and how to read the dots and very very few stick at it.

Once you know the dot you’re putting your finger on the fretboard , then you’re cooking.

Then once you understand the relationship between the staff, the dots and what your fingers are doing, the songwriting bit will be much much easier...

I can also recommend learning drum notation which much easier and sharpens up ones understanding of rhythm of your regular music theory.

Taking classical lessons with a good teacher brings all of these things together but knowing theory before you go makes it much easier.

Best of luck.

shadowfax:
I think it's also important to note that to write songs you do not need any music theory..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version