New here! Songwriter and Pro Music Producer. Hello all!

• 8 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
Hello Forum!

I have been reading through the site and this seems like a great place for unsigned songwriters to come and discuss composition, so I have joined ya!

I am James. I run a studio and work as a professional music producer in Essex, UK.

I have been writing for many years, but only recently got back into recording my own material. I used to really enjoy the song writing forums at university, so this might be a great virtual replacement!

Influences include old favourites such as Dylan, Joni Mitchell and The Beatles, through to more modern artist such as Laura Marling, The Leisure Society, Mumford and Sons...

Music Portfolio link below, I'll be posting in the main forums shortly!

http://www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesnighthawk

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:03:02 PM by James Nighthawk »
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »
Well hello!

Welcome mate, feel free to message anyone if you have any questions (though I'm sure you won't :P )

Enjoy the forum :)
Defective Elector

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:32:19 PM »
Hi James

Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see a couple more producers signing up. I'm looking forward to hearing your music and reading your posts.

Tone :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »
Cheers guys!

One question I do have:

Obviously as a producer I have a particular way of listening to music and songs. How much input do people tend to want regarding recording/arrangement/production methods?

Should I focus on the song when giving advice/opinions, or should I also wear my producers hat and suggest ways to change/improve the recording. Presentation of a song is very important, but is that part of this website's gameplan?

Thanks in advance :)
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »
I always like to try to focus on the song, being that it's the songwriter forum. But there are no rules, and as you say, presentation is a part of the songwriting process. So follow your heart I would say. If you can offer something helpful, seems a shame to hold back :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:56:48 PM »
Hiya and welcome :)

Great to see someone with so much experience on the production side of things here although

we do have some pretty good, knowledgable souls here. Ramshackles being one that immediately springs to mind.

When it comes to the technical side of things he's an absolute star. And now we have you hehe  ;)

I'd say the same as tone about reviewing. Some people have barely any equipment and so it's hard for

them to get a great sound or sometimes even anything more than just a vocal, but you can still hear the idea.

Some people insist on posting just lyrics  :P  (I'll get told off for that)

I personally welcome all the help I can get on the technical side of things. Since I first started recording a couple of years ago

my mixing and all that painful stuff you have to do when it's just you at home, has improved and I'm getting halfway to what

I want but still a long way to go.

You'll get a feel for different people after a bit :)

Enjoy yourself.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:06:08 PM »
Good stuff guys

It goes without saying I will not be expecting bedroom producers to be releasing Abbey Road  ;)

I'll go with the flow, and stick with the "helpful, constructive criticism" vibe this site pushes. That is, after all, why after looking through the site I signed up straight away!

Day one and I am already enjoying it; people are honest without being rude, and (so far!) welcoming to well meant advice!

This can't be real? Brains and balance, on the internet?!?!?!??!

;) ;D ;) ;D
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »
Hi james & welcome,

personally I think you should say whatever you have to say really, providing it is constructive of course. Any opinions, advice etc etc either good or bad, is down to the songwriter to take on board if they choose to, so I would encourage you to give whatever you can & the rest will look after itself. Even on saying that, if you review a song it is always interesting for me to hear what other people have to say about that song & more interestingly, how they have heard it!!
Look forward to hearing how YOU hear things, lol.  :) :)

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »
Hey again all. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone I have reviewed/been reviewed by. Only been here two days and already I can tell I will be spending quite some time on this site!!

What hits me most is how positive everyone is. Internet forums tend to host a lot of negativity due I am sure mostly to the anonymity. 

So thanks again for the warm welcome

(And wasn't sure where best to post this, so this will be my one and only "Double post"! Apologies)   :)
Twitter @JamesNighthawk