konalavadome

Nikki Dont Lose That Rhumba

• 36 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 12, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »
Im a big fan of Strictly Come Dancing but .. I thought they needed some better music! so I wrote this! :)
I think the title is probably my best one this year ;D
yes its a instrumental ...& I will tell you why ...someone has shown interest in one of my instrumentals which is quite exciting! & im not surprised its one of my instrumentals instead of my songs  as my voice is never going to be great...so I thought I should concentrate on the instrumentals
hope you like it...sorry but theres no lyrics!  :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

& now heres a surprise! john (pompeyjazz) has written some fab come dancing lyrics & done a terrific vocal version!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzmkyuzx2ughfox/rhumba_jbmix_20161119.wav?dl=0

On a summer night she was dressed in white
With the guy with the cuban heels
As he drove her off to the local dance
In his brand new set of wheels

Nikki don't lose that rhumba
Nikki don't lose that beat
Nikki stay on your feet

As they hit the floor well they cried for more
To the sound of the rhumba beat
Then they wowed them alll with their cha-cha-cha
They're the pair you can't defeat

Nikki don't lose that beat
Nikki stay on your feet

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 11:23:40 PM by tinam »
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 07:16:49 PM »
Hi Tina,

Yes the title is brilliant.....but the tunes not bad too.

Definitely one that can be used on the dance floor.

Great guitar playing as usual, love the interlude at 1.30 mins.

Up to your usual standards.

Sandeep

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 07:20:10 PM »
Nikki don't lose that Rhumba by Steelydrum Band?  :D

A kinky little number flirting with my aural sensations in a quite outrageous manner.

Well that's all right now mamma.  8)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 08:40:51 PM »
I liked that, worked really well. What happened at the end, a sad way to end the song I wanted more.

Keith

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 08:57:12 PM »
Fab lyrics, love them!  ;D
Guitars are awesome and the drums terrible! :o
I never quite got the thing about making things sound bad or broken so the drums spoiled it a bit for me. Would probably have loved it with some "normal" drums but I'm probably just an oold fart so please feel free to ignore me...

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 11:46:46 PM »
Again you have come up with an absolutely brilliant song title Tina. Like the idea of this being the theme tune to SCD. I'm afraid I've never watched it, it fills me with an uneasy sparkly kind of dread  :-\. There is some great stuff going on here and I know you say that it's an instrumental but with the title in my head I was just singing a vocal to this straight away. Would love to have a go at putting some vocs on this if you are into it. Send me a pm if you think that's ok

Cheers John

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 12:40:18 AM »
Hi Tina,

Great title, great instrumental number and extra great guitars, as usual.

I have to say the drums didn't do it for me although I was getting used to them by the end.

It's a good job you mentioned them because I'd have thrown away a perfectly good pair of headphones by now, especially when i thought they'd packed up all together before I got to the end of the track :o that was a bit of an abrupt ending, thought Nikki had had a heart attack or somethin.

A bit of variation in the drum track would be nice too but I'm guessing that's probably not possible with the kind of loop you're using.

Nice work though.

Yodasdad

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 01:09:33 PM »
This has such a great vibe. I'm thinking of sticking this on my 'getting ready to go out' playlist. It's like the intro to a Tarantino movie. You have a knack for catchy melodies that don't even require vocals, and a unique style that I would feel I were intruding on to offer too much advice to. Good job!
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 04:08:31 PM »
Great sound as usual...and this time I'm reaching for my Cuban heals!  although honestly I don't know a Rhumba from an Argentine tango  :) Seriously Tina this is brilliant! I wish I could wield a guitar with half the skill you have and (drums aside - sorry) the composition here really hits the spot. I'm sure Bruno, Len and Co would approve...

Good luck with the 'interest' you talk about too  :)

Phil

https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 04:12:08 PM »
You sound like Satriani who´s been kidnapped by some Bro´s from the Hood. Great melodic guitar here and a kind of different melody for you. I loved it though, especially when you changed the guitar sounds. I can see this as a soundtrack to SCD after they´ve all been machine-gunned down in a Tarantino film so that makes me like it a lot.

The drums? Nope, me neither, sorry. Either compress them a lot more or put a cleaner loop on there. I reckon it´ll sound corking then.

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »
Hi Tina,

That was a fun listen!  The crushed drum part filled in for the rhumba shaker track...  From the great title  to the beautiful alternation of the smooth grit  guitar tones....your unique approach created a 21 st century rhumba numbah that I can groove to!  Love it!

igg

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 09:34:41 PM »
Hey Tina,

Marvelous as always, you have such incredible talent at making great music.

I think I've mentioned on your last few entries the vocals have been the drawback for me (Hard to do justice to the instrumentals), and I do get the impression that the funky and fantastic electric guitar is the part you enjoy the most.

Regarding the drums, they work really well for me and is a welcome marriage of gritty drums and powerful guitar to my ears.

Impressive variety yet again, you've obviously got a real knack for creating something completely unique each time, which demands interest!

My mum used to 'force' me into watching Strictly with her, until I got old and independent enough to have more influence over what we watch when I come to visit. Despite never really being a fan, I do have some pleasant memories of some of the more up-tempo performances and would be interested in watching what they would come up with do this. The ending of the song was a bit sudden but I imagined a classic dance-ending pose and forgave it! :)

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 09:22:43 AM »
it s very creative and fun to listen.

The mix is really bad, sorry :)

everything too loud and harsh, especially the drums.

I think the guitar player is great; the rhythm section is kinda destroying the great guitar playing;

well - i still liked it :)

B

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 10:37:28 AM »
Hi Tina

I like the drums...they give the tune a bit of an angle and they were in-keeping with the overall sound...which I really liked.

I thought the rhythm guitar was great...nicely clipped and right up my street

Ended abruptly...but I think that was following the off-the-wall feel of the whole piece.

Mixing schmixing  :)

I really like it. A vignette, if you will.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 10:52:14 AM »
Brilliant news about the interest in one of your tracks, Tina. Unsurprising and well deserved, of course!

This has some fine playing and a lovely feel - but it lacks the craziness and outright originality of your recent vocalised affairs. Most of what you do could only be done by you, but here this feels a bit more generic. Don't get seduced by the mainstream!!!

All that said, it's very good and an easy listen. Never thought I'd have you down as easy listening but there you are, just along from Matt Munro and Daniel O'Donnell...
West Country Country Boy