All Because of You - Demo

• 9 Replies

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« on: April 04, 2024, 08:59:31 AM »
Hi all, I hope you're well.

Here's a new one that I'm working on. Its still in there development stage in so much as I need to figure out the finishing touches for the arrangement before it gets mixed properly. I'll also put some real drums on it before it's mixed.

For context, it was written following the death of my mother.

How do I explain,
its happening again,
life goes on they say,
but it feels different today

We take it on the chin
but where do we begin
life goes on they say,

Time and time again
we let the sadness win
We hide behind the door
dreams don't come true anymore

Its all because of you
Its all because of you
and everything you do

Its all because of you
Its all because of you
and everything you do

How do I explain,
its happening again,
life goes on they say,

Its all because of you
Its all because of you
and everything you do

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 11:02:28 AM »
Hola @Nick Ryder
Hello, it is the first song I listen to in my morning and I loved it for its atmosphere and arrangement calmly covering the story of that love that comes and goes, like the air. Very nice to hear
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 02:37:21 PM »
@Nick Ryder - poignant lyrics and heartfelt delivery. Sorry for your loss.

I think it's a lovely tribute.. It's a simple enough arrangement, which I think suits the song - like the strings a lot and to me the drums, programmed or not, sound good. Assume you're going to go for a similar feel with a live drummer.

K

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 10:32:01 AM »
@Nick Ryder - poignant lyrics and heartfelt delivery. Sorry for your loss.

I think it's a lovely tribute.. It's a simple enough arrangement, which I think suits the song - like the strings a lot and to me the drums, programmed or not, sound good. Assume you're going to go for a similar feel with a live drummer.

K

Thank you. Yes, my drummer friend will play similar bit with much more 'feel'.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 08:04:45 PM »
So this is a really great song. I listened to Demo 3 right after btw, so comments really based more on that. Further to what I said on the WIP thread, I think the strings aren't really there yet. I love everything else (especially the guitar parts), but the strings are just "fine". They're being played more like a pad, but I think you have scope to make them a bit busier, particularly on phrases where there's no singing. You could use parts of the vocal melody in there, and play them like little motifs for example.

I feel slightly foolish because you're ahead of me in most regards of production, but that's what stands out to my ears. Great work as usual though.

Elvis Nash

• Solo Gig
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 09:12:41 PM »
Hey Nick how are ya ?
Man real nice production on this , really enjoyed it !!!
A lot of cools things going on in right in places . I don't think you would call that a demo , more of a master recording Nick

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 06:05:18 PM »
So this is a really great song. I listened to Demo 3 right after btw, so comments really based more on that. Further to what I said on the WIP thread, I think the strings aren't really there yet. I love everything else (especially the guitar parts), but the strings are just "fine". They're being played more like a pad, but I think you have scope to make them a bit busier, particularly on phrases where there's no singing. You could use parts of the vocal melody in there, and play them like little motifs for example.

I feel slightly foolish because you're ahead of me in most regards of production, but that's what stands out to my ears. Great work as usual though.

Thanks, @Bankie

I completely agree. I've always struggled with strings but just recently I discovered that you can do so much with the studio strings in Logic Pro. There's ways to articulate them and give them expression so have been watching lots of Youtube video's on that subject.

Like anything though, they're never going to sound as good as the real thing.

Thanks again for your input.

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM »
Hey Nick how are ya ?
Man real nice production on this , really enjoyed it !!!
A lot of cools things going on in right in places . I don't think you would call that a demo , more of a master recording Nick

Thanks, @Elvis Nash

I think that compared to your production standards, every song I do could be classes as a demo!! :)

Elvis Nash

• Solo Gig
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 06:19:15 PM »
I think you do a great job doing all this yourself Nick
Bravo !!

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2024, 12:15:28 AM »
This is very post-Beatles. Double Fantasy springs to mind..also some of Maca's early solo material. This is fabulous, a great arrangement. I like the fact that it isn't over-produced. A lovely song my friend. :)