I just can't do it...HELP!

• 21 Replies

IrishGuy

• Busker
« on: December 14, 2014, 04:06:38 PM »
Take this for procrastination if you want, I know for a fact it's not.

In order to get into BIMM (A college for musicians) I need to perform a song I wrote and also have plenty of proof that I'm an active songwriter as the course isn't for absolute beginners.
So, I need portfolio work (the proof) and at most 3 songs prepared in case the examiner wishes to hear another...
Here's my problem, it's a depressing dark December day, I wake up at 1pm or whatever, home alone.
I eat and maybe put on a record for a while, (this morning I listened to Hotel California and Sonic Highways) and then play video games or do a bit of study for school. It's a fairly dead day with a house to myself so I pick up my guitar and mess around. If I somehow come up with a little nice sounding riff, I'll rush to my iPad and record it, realising it sounds exactly like another riff. Sitting at a guitar has become painful as I know that I'll end up thinking I got something but it's actually just a subconscious copycat riff. I can't come up with anything. I plan to have many songs to show at my audition which is around March/April but I can't do anything!

I can stare at people's advice saying, try Verse Chorus Verse Chorus etc etc but it's not that simple.
I eventually just leave the guitar alone for a while as I begin to get annoyed and I don't want to end up hating trying to write. I have a notebook with seemingly useless phrases in it and I'm ALRIGHT at guitar. I just really need someone to help me start getting work out of this. It's so difficult.
Maybe I'm just trying to fit my ideas into a lot of things:

I want people to like it.
I want it to be catchy.
Not too depressing.
Not too many "sunny LA beach happy" chords.
Not too like Foo Fighters.
Not too like Nirvana.
Not too slow and acoustic... (which I end up doing all the time)
Trying to make it heavy and melodic without sounding like Foo Fighters!
I could go on...

I know this comes across like I'm really angry, but I'm not, it's more that I'm just fed up having no material to show to anyone. What should I do?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:45:59 PM »
Ok - take a deep breath

I am willing to walk you through getting your first song finished if you want some help?

As a first step I want you to decide 2 things:

1 - what genre do you want this first song to be? - perhaps even identifying some reference tracks?

2 - what do you want the songe to be about - ie you are only allowed to choose ONE emotion/theme/message

Try to be as specific as you can - if not "love" but "falling in love", "falling out of love", "a break up" etc. etc.

Post the answers to these questions and we can move on to the next step
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

nerdle

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 05:13:30 PM »
I can only suggest what I do..

Don't listen to anyone else's music except maybe classical.  Keep a voice recorder with you all all times  to catch a good idea when it pops along - it will.  Don't try.

Go out for a walk alone with only environmental sounds around you.  Your mind might throw a tune up when you give it space and peace.

Recall old conversations for lyrics.

IrishGuy

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 06:17:44 PM »
Alright Boydie, thanks for this.

1. Well as for genre, I'd love a catchy Alt. Rock sound with maybe a hint of indie as well.

I'm in a band so I'd love to write big songs like Royal Blood or Foo Fighters do but I'd love something that can be played on one acoustic guitar as well as with a band. That what's great about all Foo songs!

Cage The Elephant have a great song called Come A Little Closer which is melodic and but heavy. Although rather complex!

I'd love to write a song like that. Plus it's easy to make it sound good on only one acoustic because it doesn't solely rely on other instruments (heavy drums etc.)

Everlong is also a brilliant example of a song that can have a rock version but also a soft acoustic version.
THAT'S the kind of genre I'd like to write my songs in! A decently heavy song that can be flipped over into an acoustic song! NOT like in a Ben Howard slow sort of way though...

although I like ben howard I don't want to be an acoustic songwriter solely.

2. I haven't had much experience with love etc. so I couldn't write about that as it would be false.

[2nd time editing this part...]

I'm sure I can find a meaning for the song, the hardest part is actually making the SONG!
My struggle to actually write a song would be a good topic...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:15:12 PM by IrishGuy »

Dogmax

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »
Hi There

Years ago i use to write songs from just writing down ideas that i had in my head so i don't know if this is any help to you but just reading part of your post i can see some lyric lines from them, if you want i can PM you four lyric lines from part of the your post that im on about and maybe it might give you a better idea of what i mean, feel free to use or change or ignore anything or all i wont be using them.

Good luck to you.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:20:03 PM »
Kewl - now we are getting somewhere

Genre - tick - I get exactly where you are coming from

I think your problems have manifested themselves in your response to my second question...

2. I haven't had much experience with love etc. so I couldn't write about that as it would be false.

[2nd time editing this part...]

I don't want the song tied down in some extremely deep meaning. I want it to be a happy enough song about trying hard at something. A catchy feel good song about succeeding at what you want or something...I don't know...
I can't stand it when I hear a 17 year old musician writing about something they know nothing about. And let's face it, I'm 17, and I don't exactly have a lot of life experience with anything. I've had fun at music festivals with friends and had certain pressures from girls and exams just like everyone else my age! I'm not going to start writing about "the girl I love" any time soon...

So that is what you DON'T want to write about - how about committing to what you ARE going to write about

Pick just ONE theme/emotion/message

This doesn't have to be "deep and meaningful" but (IMHO) these does need to be a single message or emotion to communicate, which will help keep your writing "on track" - which might have been why you have struggled in the past

A catchy feel good song about succeeding at what you want or something

This is a good start - how about you go with this

So, what are some words that this "theme" conjures up - I would suggest just brainstorming some ideas

DO NOT FILTER THEM AT THIS STAGE - Just write down whatever comes to mid linked to that them

Here are some starters to get you going...

A catchy feel good song about succeeding at what you want or something

Try, try again

You can make it

You gotta want it

Push a little harder

Within reach

Gettin' better all the time

Cimb the mountain

Nearly there

Tough at the top

etc. etc.

Hopefully when you get a good few phrases written down a good one will jump out at you

I would suggest you sift through them to look for a title

IrishGuy

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 07:44:05 PM »
Okay, whilst I'm working on phrases for this, will I worry about the music just yet?
I'm quite good at English and making phrases based on a topic but the hugest problem is coming up with catchy but original music! In the meantime, I'll be working on phrases.

IrishGuy

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »
Another thing I should mention is that I like story songs.
Tangled Up In Blue for example. Brilliant song

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 08:14:33 PM »
Okay, whilst I'm working on phrases for this, will I worry about the music just yet?

There is no right or wrong - but in this case I would just concentrate on the phrases first

IrishGuy

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »
In the last hour I made these up:

Make till you break,
Cut the mountain down,
Step over the rest,
Crowds of faces going places,
Want it all,
Drown the silence,
Should I pave the way?
Force it out of you,
Look in every corner,
Stand above the ledge,
Feeling absolute,
Why stand in line?
Make the time.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 09:43:18 PM »
Awesome

I think there are some crackers in there

Do any stand out as a title to you?

Do you hear any melodies in your head as you read these phrases?

Now that you have some initial ideas down you can start "screening" them and see if any fit together

eg.

I really like the phrase "step over the rest"

However, in a songwriting context it is a good idea to write a lyric that makes the singer "look good", which may be difficult to do if the lyric is "to succeed I step over the rest"

I also like "Crowds of faces going places"

I would be tempted to just use the word "Crowd" as the title - has a bit of impact I think

The rest then starts to form a chorus in my head...

Tryin' to get to the top
All I see are crowds of faces
Never gonna stop
I want it all, make it to all the places
Why stand in line?
I ain't got time
I gonna make you proud, cut the mountain down
...and stand out in the crowd

This then gives me the "anchor" to the song and is where everything should lead

The verses should then give this chorus "context"

eg - Verse 1 could give some back-story as to why you have never succeeded and describe the things that held you back (eg you can go back to your lyric ideas "there were closed doors on every corner" you had to work all the hours to make a buck ("make 'till you break"), perhaps you turned to drink ("to drown the silence")

Verse 2 could be the realisation that you do have the potential to get to the top

A bridge could give a completely different perspective - eg perhaps you discover it is lonely at the top - perhaps getting a little "darker" - "stand above the ledge"- but go into the chorus with something a little more up beat, eg: "but you know i'll never jump"

then chorus, chorus end!

I would concentrate on getting the song/lyric WRITTEN - by all means "screen" the ideas and try to come up with something better as you go along but do not let that prevent you from getting the song WRITTEN

In my quick chorus example above I think the line "I want it all, make it to all the places" is the weakest line so I would spend some time RE-WRITING this section - but at least I have my chorus written so I can move on with the rest of the song

I then have nothing to lose by trying to refine the lyric - it can only get better!

I hope this little example helps you put things together - you definitely have the ideas

IrishGuy

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
Okay this is good stuff, what happens musically now?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 10:23:22 PM »
I wouldn't rush it

I would suggest that you structure the chorus lyric (feel free to use any of lines you like from my suggestion) and then simply experiment with singing them to a melody

You can either just find a melody and then find the chords that fit later

OR

Play a chord sequence and experiment with singing the melody over the top

Chord sequences are not under copyright so you can use ANY chord sequence - perhaps find one from a song you like

This is the bit you are on your own for

Keep doing it and I am sure it will come

You can use the same process - just record different versions without "screening" and then post here for feedback

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 08:45:11 AM »
This is an awesome thread, that teaches through a case study of how to write a song. IMHO it should become a sticky as it is a valuable resource for all new comers to this forum who ask this question.

Well done Boydie, spectacular in fact.

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »

HEY

its just what Boydie does always first there to help out

you're a credit to the forum mate

I TIP MY HAT TO YOU PAUL