Free beginners production software

• 6 Replies

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »
Hi,
        I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any free production software suitable for beginners? I don't play any instrument but as I collab with many great people both on and off this site I'd love to learn more about the production process. I'll never be able to produce or compose by myself but I'd love to get a bit more of an insight into the production process and thought having some software and I bit of a lay around might help. If anything it might help me contribute a few more ideas and allow me to put something of more substance down in front of those I collab with that simply lyrics and a poor vocal melody.

I've played around a bit with the Mixcraft 6 version recommended and I think its great for messing around with keys, synth etc. I' hopeless at it but I'm hoping to polish up over time!. The only think is that as it is the free version I can add virtual, drums guitar etc. I was wondering if such a program exists whereby I can add everything electronically and if so if posters could please provide a link to a safe download (can't be risking viruses as I use my laptop for work!!!)

Thanks

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »
Ha finally able to navigate my way around Mixcraft. Man this production thing is much harder than I could ever imagine! I doubt I'll ever be Harris or Guetta but I do like fidgeting about with synth and drum loops. I'll never be able to produce a song but hey if I come up with a killer drum or synth loop for use in a song I'll be happy!

Anyone got any 'producing for dummies' style reading they can recommend. I really up coming at this completely blind and don't even know a single keyboard or guitar chord but I like the challenge! Might even pay for the full Mixcraft version when my trial ends in 13 days time!!!!!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »
hmmmmm

Where to start!

My biggest recommendation would be learn how to play the piano/keyboard

This will give you the music theory background you would need for writing/composing/arranging

Lessons with a tutor may seem an expensive option but I do think a few to kick you off in the right direction would be worthwhile

As for the production side you would be good with video tutorials on your chosen DAW

These will teach you both how to use the DAW (what knob does what) AND also the basics of "production" - EQ, compression, effects, mixing, mastering etc.

You can then delve deeper in to each area when you have this general understanding
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
Cheers Boydie.

I actually had a keyboard when I was much younger as well as a trusty acoustic (which I still have along with a mandolin for some odd reason!) but never really got into the music end as I was busy trying to establish myself as the next striking sensation that was going to tear shit up at Celtic Park. Unfortunately that plan went about as swimmingly as my bid to make millions from songwriting!

Would a basic keyboard do? I've noticed that there are some very expensive ones and some rather inexpensive basic ones. I guess I don't want to splash out on the latest model if there is no need to and if a basic one won't hold me back any?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »
If you are only ever going to play at your computer I would just go with a cheap "controller" keyboard

This will not do anything on its own (it has no built in sounds) but it connects to your PC via a MIDI cable or USB cable

This then transmits MIDI data (this is not "sound" - it is information such as note pitch, velocity, duration etc.)

Your DAW can then turn this information in to sound via "soft synths"

A "half way" house is to get a keyboard with built in sounds AND a MIDI OUT socket (you will need an audio interface with a MIDI in though)

The more you pay the "better" the in built sounds and the "feel" of the keyboard - after-touch, weighted keys etc.

This is what I use as a simple controller keyboard

I am a guitarist that doesn't really play keyboards so this is perfect for programming bass lines, melodies, drum patterns and chords - I am never going to be playing a concerto with it!

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/DISC-Novation-ReMOTE-25-SL-MkI-Controller-Keyboard/8A9
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 03:14:42 AM »
What Boydie said. Its good advice.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »
You could get Reaper, there is a free trial version

and get a somewhat decent (midi) keyboard....you won't be needing sounds from your keyboard, they can just be software sounds...takes some study of Reaper to get started, but once you're started anything is possible, the sky is the limit

there are samples and sounds out there on the net, or you can by a copy of Computer Magazine (CM), the disc on the magazine usually is containing a load of samples and things to play with

if you have specific questions about how to get started with a set up with for instance Reaper, there are many people out here who can help, and of cause, You tube tutorials and tips

good luck