Underneath My Skin

• 22 Replies

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 10:55:46 PM »
Jamie: I don't get many complements on my voice, so thanks! I do put everything I can into it to compensate for what I don't naturally have. I'd be interested in what you think would have worked better than the chorus harmonics - it definitely needed some kind of counter-melody/riff/something.

Katie: Thanks, and glad you like it.

Mikey: Thanks for your comment re the drums. Interesting about your bottom-end comment though - playing it on my monitors and a good set of bins, it sounds like it has plenty to me. Would be interested in whether others agree with you.

Mr Singer: Thanks - the song didn't need anything really fancy. It has something to say so just has to come out and say it.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 09:54:24 AM »
Hello Bankie,

Intriguing intro with a guitar that almost sounds like a cello.  Goo introduction and build as the song progresses and is followed by a fine guitar solo that at times. embraces the main melody. What do you use t honk that this has more potential tha is currently realised and further production, mixing could really make this shine.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing this very cool song.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:03:19 AM by Wicked Deeds »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 10:47:34 AM »
Nice song , interesting arrangement, regarding the bottom end..not everyone has a good set of bins which is a problem for us guys with good bins... ;D ;D
I tend to apply what feels like too much bottom end and it seems to translate ok to smaller stuff like portable radios etc... :)

good work mate.. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 07:13:51 PM »
Hello Bankie, welcome.
Really solid track. I liked the close-to-the-mic feel to the verses and then, bam!, nice big lift when the chorus arrives. You've got a good voice too and nothing about the production felt weak to me.
As you ask for suggestions, the weakest part for me was the rhyme scheme - I found all those rhyming couplets one after another a little bit 'obvious' if you know what I mean, maybe throw in some half rhymes, break up the pattern or similar as the rhymes are quite straight and made the flow of the track a bit predictable.
That's a small nit about an impressive track though. Hope your purple patch goes on for miles... and you deliver some more chunky choruses like this.
It's all too beautiful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 11:07:26 AM »
What a great listen, loved the relaxed feeling, and lots of variation between the sections. Guitars sounding great. Possibly the lyrics are nothing we haven't really heard before, but probably not many will really listen so closely as we songwritery types.

Great stuff.

I'm sure you're right that a lot of feedback is "to think about for next time" unless there is something really obviously fixable, which is fine by me.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »
Nice one Banksie my son! Listened the other day and liked it. Second time around didn't disappoint me at all!

I'm happy with the verse melody for the reasons you gave. That lift for the chorus is great!

Little bridge does a good job before that nicely judged solo.

Just right in a lot of ways...yeah, simple structure...good song length...good contrast between verse/chorus....good chorus.

Lyrics work for me...might not be mind-blowing but sound good. The opening chorus line is a great opening chorus line for this style of song...just flows nice and draws you into the chorus well.

Sounds pretty good to to these ears.

Nice introduction to your work.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 10:45:58 PM »
Thanks for the recent feedback - really awesome that so many took the time to not just listen, but put some thoughts down too. I've done the same for a few others and intend to have a binge at some point in the weekend to listen to lots more.

I just have one thing to say, and it regards the lyrics. Correct, they're not ground-breaking in any way, but I write what I know or what I feel, and this song is very much personal. I'm not writing songs just to make words rhyme nicely. I think what the lack of originality shows is that we do tend to share similar experiences, and what better way to share those than in music?

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 11:23:52 PM »
Yo Bankie,welcome to the forum,man.  :)

I really like the overall feel to this song. I'm a sucker for melodic rock.

The chorus is great,catchy as. Very well sung and put together,fine harmonies.

Sure enough a good production will make the song shine,but the song is strong and that's the prime starting point.

Great listen,ta for posting.  :)

Liked and reposted on s/c

Edit...I've been checking out your other songs on soundcloud,some fine choons on there,laddie. You are a prolific writer for sure!  :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:33:44 PM by Skub »