What A Wonderful Time Of The Year!

• 27 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« on: December 18, 2016, 12:08:43 PM »
Hi Guys,
Sorry I've been absent from the forum for a while, but I've been dealing with some health issues  :(
Anyway, I thought I'd share this Xmas song with you...I hope you get a laugh out of it, cause it's suppose to be funny  ;D The lyrics are on SC

https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/the-most-wonderful-time-of-the-year

PS I'll get around to listening to some songs asap  :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:50:42 PM by crystalsuzy »

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 04:19:24 PM »
Hey CS! This is fab, your usual mix of styles, melodies and humour. I loved the lyrics, they tell Christmas as it is and when the metal came in on the Black Friday bit it made me grin from ear to ear  ;D

I was really struck by your voice on this one, especially at the end. I don't think Ive really heard you sing with that tone before...it was top drawer and you should try more songs like that.

Anyway, excellent from start to finish and Bah Humbug to you as well  ;D

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 04:34:13 PM »
It's a very funny song, well constructed with a nice sense of irony running through it.  The production's great and the tone of voice is just right for the content.  I got the feeling that it was maybe a little over-long for the message it was conveying, but maybe that's just me.

Surely you can't use that title though?  When I saw it come up I wondered if someone had just covered the Andy Williams song.  Your song starts with a quote from it, which is quite clever, but I'd have thought you might have the lawyers on to you claiming that you were trying to pass your song off as another one.  I know there's no actual copyright on titles but this seems to be going a stage further.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 04:57:44 AM »
Hey CS! This is fab, your usual mix of styles, melodies and humour. I loved the lyrics, they tell Christmas as it is and when the metal came in on the Black Friday bit it made me grin from ear to ear  ;D

I was really struck by your voice on this one, especially at the end. I don't think Ive really heard you sing with that tone before...it was top drawer and you should try more songs like that.

Anyway, excellent from start to finish and Bah Humbug to you as well  ;D

Thanks so much for your lovely comments, Marty :) I'm afraid my Xmas's do tend to follow the lyrics,
to some degree ::)
Thanks for the thumbs up on my vocals...I was actually not too sure if they sounded any-good ::)
The ending was totally ad-lib d, but I decided to keep it in there, so I'm glad you liked it  :) :)
Just for the record, actually, I quite like the spirit of Xmas, so I'm not totally 'Bah Humbug'...just the commercial side of it  :o 

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 05:03:22 AM »
It's a very funny song, well constructed with a nice sense of irony running through it.  The production's great and the tone of voice is just right for the content.  I got the feeling that it was maybe a little over-long for the message it was conveying, but maybe that's just me.

Surely you can't use that title though?  When I saw it come up I wondered if someone had just covered the Andy Williams song.  Your song starts with a quote from it, which is quite clever, but I'd have thought you might have the lawyers on to you claiming that you were trying to pass your song off as another one.  I know there's no actual copyright on titles but this seems to be going a stage further.

Thanks Guy, I'm glad you found it funny ;D You're probably right about the length, but I just can't help myself :o You're right about the title as well, so I've changed it. Let me know if you think this works :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 08:08:06 AM »
This is an absolute riot Suzy - Your imagination has ran away with you. Actually you have got it spot on and echo exactly what I think of this time of year. You've got some really clever stuff going on there and I guess it must have taken you ages to get this together. Anyway overall I really enjoyed this and it's great to see you back  :)

John

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 08:39:28 AM »
You're right about the title as well, so I've changed it. Let me know if you think this works :)

Doesn't really work for me - I'm not a fan of long titles.  What I'd probably have done is to come up with a shorter phrase that alluded to the other song title, like "Most Wonderful Time" or "Time of the Year" (I quite like the second because it reminds me of "time of the month", but that's just my warped sense of humour!).

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 07:47:40 PM »
Hi CZ,sorry to hear you are experiencing health problems,get yourself well asap. That's an order.  ;)

As expected,from your good self,the song is whacky and offbeat,clever and complex. You and Tina ought to team up,but I think my little brain would melt!  :D

The lyrical content describes our house perfectly,everyone skating on the edge of a nervous breakdown. ::)

Lots of folk enjoy the idea of xmas in their imagination,the reality is horrendous. Roll on the new year.

Bah,Humbug!

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 05:43:09 AM »
A very interesting recording. The arrangement seems so haphazardly put together....sorta avant-garde, IMHO.
A fun....crazy listen!
Love it!
                                              8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 03:28:17 PM »
Hi Suzy,

Sorry to hear that you've not been well - I hope you are better now :-*

This subject is a rich seam of inspiration for your crazy world view. I love the way you sing the title - sounds like you have taken A LOT of dodgy substances. There is so much going here it must have taken bloody ages to put together and it has all your usual lovely subtle touches and zany humour. I have no negative comments - it's a riot. Everybody should play this on Christmas day - move over Slade!

M

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »
Wow, Cristmas chaos.

I haven't heard one of your songs for a while but I vaguely remember the last one I listened to messed my head and this ones no different.

Very creative and imaginative the way you've blended everything together.

I can't imagine this one being played at midnight mass but it's a great melting pot of ideas and styles.

Hope your health son the up.

Yodasdad

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 09:05:20 PM »
great to hear from you again, Suzy

you're right on form, i see...loved that yawn around 3:15...had me in stitches

brilliant how it fires up, rattles along and then stops in it's tracks to lampoon some traditional xmas twaddle before setting away again...

fabulous stuff!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 12:17:06 AM »
this has a similar structure  to your last song with loads of different bits all linked by snippets of known songs & samples ...it is insanely creative & a amazing rollercoaster of surprises full of terrific vocal harmony & funny bits
I love the stressed out mum who sounds like shes demon posessed ....i can relate :)
suzy its a work of genius & totally wonderful & nobody could concoct  this but you
i have played it several times now & keep finding more in it...
it is just so original & of course I love it!

Suzy ,best wishes for a healthy 2017  :)

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »
This is an absolute riot Suzy - Your imagination has ran away with you. Actually you have got it spot on and echo exactly what I think of this time of year. You've got some really clever stuff going on there and I guess it must have taken you ages to get this together. Anyway overall I really enjoyed this and it's great to see you back  :)

John
Thanks so much for your kind comments John :) I'm glad you got a kick out of it :o I didn't need to
use too much imagination as far as the lyrics went, as it's kind of a reflection of my 'Xmas's past'  ::)
It was really a fun one to put together, so I didn't notice how long it took me ::)
It's good to be back...I've missed you guys a lot  :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »
Hi CZ,sorry to hear you are experiencing health problems,get yourself well asap. That's an order.  ;)

As expected,from your good self,the song is whacky and offbeat,clever and complex. You and Tina ought to team up,but I think my little brain would melt!  :D

The lyrical content describes our house perfectly,everyone skating on the edge of a nervous breakdown. ::)

Lots of folk enjoy the idea of xmas in their imagination,the reality is horrendous. Roll on the new year.

Bah,Humbug!
I'm going to take that order very seriously, Skub, cause I want to be well :)
Thanks for the kind comments and I'm glad I'm not the only one that's experienced Xmas this way ::)
"skating on the edge of a nervous breakdown" ;D I'd like to use this line in a song, if you don't ;D