konalavadome

Rebuilt Heart (Re-Mixed)

• 19 Replies

igg

• Solo Gig
« on: November 13, 2015, 02:32:54 AM »
Hi Guys,

I wrote this last year....but just re-recorded it ....an exercise to get my BG vocal layerings going...
I'd love to hear what you think works and what misses the mark...More or less verb....fewer voices....different spread???
It sort of started out as a funny song  but then got a more sincere vibe to it... And Tony does a great job on the guitar work.....

https://www.reverbnation.com/ihor/song/19363725-rebuilt-heart

Rebuilt Heart
words/music ©2014 I. Wolosenko

Vocals- Igg
Guitars/Bass - Tony.Di Grigorio
Guitar - Igg
Arrangement - Igg/Tony

VERSE:
I've been working in the basement....   trying to build a heart
Using  all my broken pieces   .....I've been saving all the parts
This new heart that I make,  guaranteed to never break
Got to make those pieces.................. all hold together

REFRAIN:
So I'll be ready
beatin'  steady
careful  from the start
I'll rewire  (I've adjusted)
what's required   (what was busted)
in my rebuilt heart

Verse 2:
I've been reading the instructions.... in the poetry book
But I  can't seem to get it.... I'll have to take another look
Got to build it tough
Love can be so rough
And it can't take any more hurt than it's already taken

Chorus:
It  can't never, ever, never, ever, never, ever, never   break again
And I'm never gonna, never gonna, never gonna , take that pain , again

REFRAIN:

Verse 3:
Now , I've tried it out a time or two ...  but it hurts like hell
There's  some little part I'm missin' ...  it's so hard to tell
Every time it starts to beat
it still feels incomplete
I'll just  have to stop my crying.........build it over again

Chorus:
REFRAIN
Blend

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:29:58 PM by igg »

mondobongo

• Open Mic
    • My pages at BandCamp
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 07:28:51 AM »
Great lyrics, they sound very sincere to me. Nice voice, well recorded. The backing vocals are very good though could be a bit more prominent at times. The guitar parts are spot on. Nice piece of work.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »
I liked the song very much, the lyrics worked very nicely with lots of detailed imagery of places and objects that bring it alive and I like the hook.

The production didn't quite work for me though, I just found it a bit untidy and distracting because of that. The drum, bass and backing vocals seemed not to be pulling in the same direction , serving the same song to my ears and I found it detracted from my enjoyment of it.

However I found the guitar playing excellent throughout, beautiful sound and executed perfectly.

Overall, good songwriting but I would spend a little more time on the arrangement.

Hope that helps, thanks for sharing it!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 01:08:27 PM »
You've got a lovely country feel going on here Igg. I liked the structure, thought there was some excellent guitar work and particularly liked the backing vocals. There was something about the lead vocals though that I didn't think was quite right. May have been balance in the mix, maybe a bit too prominent. Can't criticise anything else though. I'm still listening to Billboard Life, that was such a high quality song.

Cheers

John

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 04:48:29 PM »
Hi Guys....

You are the best!  Thanks for the crits..

Mr. Bongo - I'm glad you liked the lyrics...I thought it was a bit comical to put the guy in his basement trying to cobble together a mechanical solution to his emotional problems... Also, could you expand on how you might like to hear the BVs...

Bos - I will go through the arrangement again....I sort of put it together all at once, and though that's no excuse, got fatigued listening and tracking and mixing and rendering....It got sort of confusing.  I'll isolate the bass and drums and make sure they are as tight as can be ....throwing out conflicting lines...and rebuild it!

Pompey - I'll back off the lead vocal...Just a question ...Do you think the lead is too hot in the beginning and then balancing a bit more or throughout the whole mix??  Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed reply...I appreciate it... I went for that sort of eaglesy layering stuff....

igg

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 08:19:41 PM »
hi Igg

you always produce top quality stuff...i wasn't sure that the country overtones didn't take the song up the garden path slightly on this mix...i thought it was perhaps either too country or not country enough, if that makes any sense at all?

its a very good song. guitars are great. vocals are distinctive and interesting. great work.

personally, i'd either throw the country kitchen sink at it...or pull the country plug, depending on where i wanted it to go.

a man of your considerable ability is lucky enough to be able to choose  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 09:51:59 PM »
Hi Paul,

Even though it started as a spoof, I did like the lively core of it....but I'm not sure, because of the imagery, how it wouldn't be countrified....Maybe it's just a hybrid forever wandering the planet looking for a home......
Thanks for the listen and the advice.....I greatly admire your sensibilities...

igg

olivergearing

• Open Mic
    • Oliver Gearing @ Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 11:37:59 PM »
Nice one Igg

Your voice, and the way you play with the BVs is excellent. They really float in and out, almost ghost like.

Not much to suggest really about the song, I think it's pretty much there. I wasn't 100% convinced by the drum part, at some points the fills felt like they were in the wrong style of song. I'd simplify these a bit, and allow the vocals and guitars to be more prominent.

Cheers

Musicmansam

• Busker
    • Inkfields Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 09:25:57 AM »
Hi Igg,

I thought that it was a great song and it left me with a good feeling, the backing vocals and lead guitar sound were my favourite bits.
 My primary feedback would be that the mix should be retackled. It sounds a bit muddy and messy, try a deductive EQ at 200Hz on the guitar, vocal, bass and kick and also at 500Hz (that should clear up the sound a bit more). The vocal has also got a little bit too much 'S' for my taste. Try a de-esser plugin, or track down the problem frequency and make it a bit less aggressive.
 There are some great riffs in this track, but I feel that they need more space so that I can focus my ears on them more. For example, the lead guitar is playing through a lot of the track, also with the vocal together (which confuses my ears). I'd love to hear it more in the spaces, as it sounds great it deserves the space and when I hear it less I want more (which I think is always better)! The drums are also a bit too busy for me and they steal my attention from the guitar and main vocal. I think a simpler drum beat would be highly complimentary for the style of track. Sorry if I ranted a little, it's just my opinion and not necessarily correct in every area, as some of it could just come down to personal taste.

Keep up the great work, I look forward to hearing more from you :)

Sam
I'm a singer-songwriter who studied a little bit of audio engineering and does the odd concert. As long as I have a musical outlet I'll be happy!

mondobongo

• Open Mic
    • My pages at BandCamp
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 11:48:26 AM »

Mr. Bongo - could you expand on how you might like to hear the BVs...

Hi Igg I just think they could be a bit louder in the mix as they are so good.

Cheers
Mo

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
A good country song..nice writing, gotta agree with thoswell regarding the untidy feel.., definitely room for improvement there, but nevertheless..a good song..

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Mr Egg

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 11:58:39 PM »
Hi, you have a number of different styles my friend, very talented, I'd love to hear this track, simple
acoustic Guitar and slide with a rim shot here and there.. Show off your vocals and harmony

It's a tongue in cheek country song that could be played on radio 2 Whispering Bob Harris's show!!!

That's my humble and love of all things simple view mind....

Maybe 2 versions?!!

Hmmmm!?

Best regards

Rico

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 01:46:32 AM »
Hi Guys,

I've rebuilt "Rebuilt Heart"  from the drums up according to new and exacting specifications....I'd appreciate feedback on the new build.....

Pomp -  thanks ....Don't know if the new mix addressed your crit.... let me know...If not what can be improved...?

Oliver --- Yeah! I was sloppy with the drums ...I redid those and simplified...Simple enough??

Musicmansam --  I Incorporated your suggestions and I think it is much less congested...Sometimes...after working on something for what seems like an eternity...You completely lose perspective and just want it over...That was the first go round....This time I think it's better....What do you think??

Mondoman ---  BG vocal OK now?

Shadow --- Definitely cleaned up this puppy...It is amazing how much crap is left in the mix....just carelessly forgetting to mute failed experiments and what not....

Mr.Egg --Thanks for the comments...Do you think this will suffice as the produced version..?.I could probably do a better lead vocal....

Thanks guys!!!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 02:08:13 AM »
Hi igg

I think this a quality song - esp liked the lyrics and the chorus is mega catchy.
I'm kinda with Paul Ads on the genre - it sounded like a hybrid of some sort.
Maybe a pedal steel would tip it towards the country side (and give it a sustaining instrument to glue it all together) The lead vocal is good - but the (well played ;D) noodling on the lead guitar distract from it at times. Also noticed the snare is MIA at times?

I enjoyed the listen - still got that earworm chorus in my brain and I'm, as a consequence, worried I won't be able to get to sleep tonight!

Paul

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 04:38:14 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the listen and the insightful comments....I went in, yet again, and toned down the lead electric....although the intention is a bit of call and response with the vocal.....I'm not sure about your snare comment ...it does drop in and out in sections...but the timekeeping feel seems to persist without it....
I'm glad the chorus implanted itself for a little while.....LOL

igg