I often Wonder

• 7 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: May 24, 2018, 09:08:24 PM »
Why it is,that someone will go to the bother of registering on a forum,making an introductory post,often including great personal detail and never make another post?  ???

There are multiple examples in the 'introductions' section. Despite being warmly welcomed,there's never any comeback.

On the (few) forums I frequent,I lurked for a while to see if was worth my time joining,but I didn't ever make a detailed introductory post,then disappear forever.

Why would anyone do that?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 10:53:09 PM »
I personally don't know but think that's really sad as there are some really genuine people on this forum who go well out of their way to help others and I have found that has been my experience 99% of the time. So I would say to anyone who doesn't appreciate that ethos, very politely go elsewhere.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 12:01:49 AM »
I think it's fear of putting their song up for review. It's a scary thing if you've never done it. They might not be confident in their song or performance, or they might have stage fright. Of course this is why we're here, to help, but if they're like me, they're afraid of being embarrassed or rejected. So, just joining is like putting your toe in the pool. Anyone can do that. Jumping in takes guts.

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 10:20:17 AM »
Interesting - I was about to make a new post - "Is This Your Favourite Forum?" - along the same lines.

I'm a member of a bunch of other forums, and have been on some of them for many years. I will drop in occasionally to check out something specific (like if I want to do something specific on Cubase I will go to the Cubase forum I'm on, or if I'm interested in buying yet another bass(!), or learn some element of bass technique I will have a look at the Basschat forum, but I tend to only be a light touch member on them. Probably did my intro post, full of enthusiasm, but then found them interesting to some level but not gripping (or sticky as the web marketeers like to say).

There are no doubt others I have joined and forgotten!

But I find that I am much more drawn to this forum - interesting people and songs, valuable feedback and thoughts, and I guess songwriting is a core passion for me. All the subtopic areas of interest, and I think the more you do post and read, the more you feel part of something, and so it becomes a virtuous circle.

The Cubase tool is just there to help me with the thing I am passionate about, which is the song and songwriting. So the Forum on that is less interesting to me. It's still a good forum with great people, but I don't really feel part of it.

Bass playing is also a passion, but for some reason I don't feel the need to hang out so much on the Basschat forum.

So maybe people have an interest in song writing, but not enough to stay around or post much, or don't want to receive feedback, or the topics just don't grip them initially.

But I think this is a good place to be!

and I think that is my 100th post and leads me to the next dizzying level of membership :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:21:52 AM by dasntn »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 04:28:33 PM »
Why it is,that someone will go to the bother of registering on a forum,making an introductory post,often including great personal detail and never make another post?  ???

There are multiple examples in the 'introductions' section. Despite being warmly welcomed,there's never any comeback.

On the (few) forums I frequent,I lurked for a while to see if was worth my time joining,but I didn't ever make a detailed introductory post,then disappear forever.

That is a bit weird innit!!! but if I was a newcomer and heard your stuff on the forum I'd crap myself in amazement at such a high standard and remain frozen with fear and therefore unable to participate in the forum anymore... ;D ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »
I joined the forum in 2012, posted a song which I was proud of at the time.

Then I got the feedback...

I didn't get slaughtered, but it was a real wake up call to me to up my game. The feedback was entirely justified and constructive. However, being a sensitive sort of soul, I went away for a few years, sort of sulked, did my best to improve my songwriting, playing, production. Took me a while to come back, and boy I am glad I did.

Don't have an answer to Skub's original question but I do get that it is a scary thing to show your wares in public.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 08:15:13 PM »

That is a bit weird innit!!! but if I was a newcomer and heard your stuff on the forum I'd crap myself in amazement at such a high standard and remain frozen with fear and therefore unable to participate in the forum anymore... ;D ;D

As we would say in Northern Ireland,yer on yer geg here Kev.  :P

However,I do get your point. It's vitally important to welcome folk in regardless of starting point.

Bill's reply is a revelation. perspective is individual and often lost in the scheme of things.

Dave makes many valid points.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 10:18:21 PM »
Then there's those, like me, who join and forget. I joined this forum and two others, I think, in December of 2014 and forgot all about it. Of course, there were extenuating circumstances. That's about the time I was diagnosed with [fake] breast cancer the second time. I say "fake" because not all doctors agree that DCIS (non-invasive cancer cells) is cancer.

Anyway, I totally forgot I joined any forums. Then, about a year later, I came up with the unique (I thought) idea of looking for some online forums to join. I found the same three and, amazingly, I was already a member!  ??? :o This forum was, by far, the most active and I was warmly welcomed in from day one. Well, day 370 or so.... It was great. I've been here ever since.