Psychoblues

• 41 Replies

Jathon Delsy

• Open Mic
  • The Twisted Troubadour of Fleeting Fantasia
    • Jathon Delsy
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 01:54:04 PM »
Hi Jathon,

I thought the guitar work was great. Not flash, but inventive - the kind of playing i like.
The vocal didn't quite grab me as some of your other tracks have, though i did like the almost Queen-like backing vocals.
All very well produced and instantly recognizable as being you.

Blissful madness.

Digger

Aaah, blissful madness, what a fitting phrase, I'll make it my motto.
And as for my guitar work, it's an incorporation of whole tone/half tone, diminished and chromatic scales with pentatonic idioms and twelve tone techniques, utilising Clapton style blues phrasing, and twisted and tortured with my Floyd Rose and my newly acquired wah-wah pedal. It's something I've always wanted to do,,,,,

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 12:54:27 AM »
really impressive  fascinating
love the vocals and guitar , whole arrangmnt really inventive
adrian belew & zappa mixed up with sparks  king crimson and queen come to mind but you seem to have your own twist on it..
great work jathon and good luck
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »
You paint a rather bleak picture with a rather special song..technically excellent and eclectic in it's influences..
a fascinating ( and sometimes confusing) listen...thanks for putting it up.

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jathon Delsy

• Open Mic
    • Jathon Delsy
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »
You paint a rather bleak picture with a rather special song..technically excellent and eclectic in it's influences..
a fascinating ( and sometimes confusing) listen...thanks for putting it up.

best, Kevin :)
Yes shadowfax, it is a somewhat depressing prognosis in this song, hence "Psychoblues" - the self-limiting worldview of psychosis and psychopathy. It's not a good place to be. Perhaps we all go there occasionally, during life's low and cynical moods. Hopefully we can all pull ourselves up to a more enlightened panorama.
I'm not sure why I wrote about this. Perhaps I was bored by my usual light and gay cheer, and needed some darkness for a change.
Thanks so much for your appreciation.

DaveD

• Busker
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 08:28:45 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed it - really well produced and I too loved the guitar playing and the sound of the guitar

Original, 'off the wall' and strangely brilliant :)

Thanks for sharing
Dave

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »
you are a genius, my friend...with a fantastic turn of phrase whether wielding guitar or pen.

and quite a wardrobe too  :)

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Jathon Delsy

• Open Mic
    • Jathon Delsy
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »
you are a genius, my friend...with a fantastic turn of phrase whether wielding guitar or pen.

and quite a wardrobe too  :)

I assure you PaulAds that the greater part of my talent is tenacity,,,,

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »
Hi Jathon,

This isn't my kind of music at all really but...it's growing on me after a couple of listens.

There's nothing wrong with the song it's just I prefer my stuff a little more conventionally melodic, call me boring.

Very Zappa, very creative and your main hook 'sucker or psycho' is really catchy.

Loved the guitar interludes.

I think your voice and singing,in what I presume is your natural accent are what make this work.

Good stuff.

Yodasdad.

Jathon Delsy

• Open Mic
    • Jathon Delsy
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »
Hi Jathon,

This isn't my kind of music at all really but...it's growing on me after a couple of listens.

There's nothing wrong with the song it's just I prefer my stuff a little more conventionally melodic, call me boring.

Very Zappa, very creative and your main hook 'sucker or psycho' is really catchy.

Loved the guitar interludes.

I think your voice and singing,in what I presume is your natural accent are what make this work.

Good stuff.

Yodasdad.
Yes Yodasdad, I suppose this isn't your conventional sing-a-long tune. I don't do such music because there are so many musicians who can do it so much better than me. So I hide behind my psycho-compositions and convoluted arrangements, and twist my diatonic dreams as far out of shape as I can get away with. But thanks for your appreciation. And yes my singing accent is exactly the same as my speaking accent,,,,,

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »
Jathon,

You are more of an art installation than a mortal musician.  With your accent, as though pulled out of a parallel universe Broadway production of Oliver Twist, your vocal and semiotic layerings are a wonder.
Let the words set you free, my brother!!!!

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 07:55:54 PM »
I'm a bit speechless to be honest.
its so far out there and foreign to my ears that i felt i needed my passport stamped to get back to my own small world.
I'd love to think that you are a live performer somewhere because you are a great one off and have an almost burlesque quality to your act which i'm sure would entertain the many that love something off the wall.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 12:28:04 AM »
Love the way you incorporate the orchestral stabs with your electric guitar notes. Timing is everything, really well done if this was recorded live with the backing track.

Definitely has your trade mark arrangement and vocal lines. Whats not to like about this?

Lyrically as strong as anything you have produced. The disjointed strings after the sucker or psycho add a lot of tension to the arrangement, and then its over :(

Enjoyed this

Allan.

Jathon Delsy

• Open Mic
    • Jathon Delsy
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 06:01:06 PM »
Jathon,

You are more of an art installation than a mortal musician.  With your accent, as though pulled out of a parallel universe Broadway production of Oliver Twist, your vocal and semiotic layerings are a wonder.
Let the words set you free, my brother!!!!
Thanks for such an inspiring appreciation igg. I really like the idea of being a parallel universe musical art instillation. Your observations have opened a can of worms in my musical vision,,,,,

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 10:11:56 PM »
I think no-one on this forum deserves the title resident artist more than you do... the attention to detail in all media - visual, lyrical, musical...it's all there.

Great bass line which kept tickling my ear.

The end in particular seemed really reminiscent somehow of the shower scene in Psycho. Scary!  :o

Jathon Delsy

• Open Mic
    • Jathon Delsy
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »
I think no-one on this forum deserves the title resident artist more than you do... the attention to detail in all media - visual, lyrical, musical...it's all there.

Great bass line which kept tickling my ear.

The end in particular seemed really reminiscent somehow of the shower scene in Psycho. Scary!  :o
Wow, what an accolade, thanks you so much beckylucythomas, I am humbled at such praise. All I can say is that the greater part of any talent that I may have is tenacity.
And thanks for really listening too,,,,