Nothing Like A Lady

• 10 Replies

Rosanna Eastman

• Busker
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:20:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been following this songwriter community for a while now (i collab with Andy at CAW Productions), and I know he's been posting on here too, and I've enjoyed seeing the feedback on our songs.

So I thought I would post my latest song 'Nothing Like A Lady'. It was written about a hooker, after I had watched a documentary about her life, and I felt like expressing what I felt for her in her song.

This was a collaboration project with a friend of mine, Geoff Rees.

Here is the link to the song on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/rosannaeastman/nothing-like-a-lady

Here are the lyrics:

Nothing Like A Lady

Verse 1

She took a walk in the lonely old city
Hoped to find a man who would maybe take pity
Been a while since she felt pretty, but no

Crystal clear night and around the corner
Came a black Cadillac, she took two steps forward
Voice inside said ‘girl, no such thing as a free ride, tonight’

Pre Chorus

There’s not enough light in that town
To turn that car around
There’s not enough fight left inside
She works one more night

Chorus

She ain’t nothing like a lady (Lady)
But they call her bay (baby)
Too far down the road to change it
Or do a 180
X2

Verse 2

It’s been this way since she was 17
Home full of cowboys and drunken queens
All those beer-stained, whiskey shattered dreams

Now her dress is tied the wrong way ‘round
Heels click on the dirty ground
Ask he if she wants to belong
She will swear there’s nothing wrong

Pre Chorus X1

Mid-8

She’s running
He’s a no good, good for nothing
Always wanting , wanting something
She’s running
At least I stood for, stood for something

Instrumental

Chorus x3

:) :) :) :

Hope to hear what you guys all think,

thanks allot

Rosanna Eastman

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »
Hi,

Nicely put together and produced. The vocals sound great, with a catchy chorus hook.

Good concept for a song and well executed in a subtle way.

If I was being picky I would say that it feels ever so slightly on the long side and some of the breath sounds feel a touch loud.

These are very minor things though on an otherwise solid song.

Yodasdad

Mike67

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:56:54 PM »
Hi Rosanna,

Nice song and great production - sounds very slick.  Great topic for a song and you tell the story very well.  The only bit I didn't get was the middle 8. It isn't clear to me who she's running from (her pimp?) and who it was that stood for something? The story seemed to jump at that point and left me behind :-[

Mike

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »
While this is good Rosanna & your vocals are lovely, I much prefer your work with Andy CAW Productions... he seems to give you more to get your teeth into & this sounded quite middle of the road & didnt show off your talents so much
I realy wasnt keen on the guitar parts I felt they were a bit wishy washy & characterless & the song didnt hold my attention...sorry!  :)

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Rosanna Eastman

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »
Hi,

Nicely put together and produced. The vocals sound great, with a catchy chorus hook.

Good concept for a song and well executed in a subtle way.

If I was being picky I would say that it feels ever so slightly on the long side and some of the breath sounds feel a touch loud.

These are very minor things though on an otherwise solid song.

Thanks allot for taking the time to listen, and for your feedback, I also think the song a little too long, maybe the outro could be shortened by allot, I think it's a bit too long,

Thanks again - appreciated,

Rosanna

Yodasdad

Rosanna Eastman

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 03:14:54 PM »
While this is good Rosanna & your vocals are lovely, I much prefer your work with Andy CAW Productions... he seems to give you more to get your teeth into & this sounded quite middle of the road & didnt show off your talents so much
I realy wasnt keen on the guitar parts I felt they were a bit wishy washy & characterless & the song didnt hold my attention...sorry!  :)

Hi

Thanks allot for the feedback - appreciate you taking the time. I guess collabing with different people, with different musical interests, you get different results and styles etc. For me, I'm allot about lyrics, and communicating a story and (hopefully) some kind of emotion to the listener, I hope this came across a bit? Thanks for being honest - appreciate honesty; just great to get feedback. Oh and Andy is a top guy to collab with, awesome production, meticulous in detail, we are both sticklers for the small things :)

thanks allot

Rosanna

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 04:09:17 PM »
Hey Rosanna,welcome along to the forum.

Initial impressions are of a good strong song,well played and beautifully sung and with a fine production showing it off in the best light. What else is there?  :D

I love the tasteful 'playing for the song' guitar coming in around 2.22. It always pleases me to hear the tune being added to,rather than 'insert melt face solo here',when the piece doesn't need it.

The track has an old school country/rock ballad feel to it,but little modern touches,like on the chorus with the '180' line. Really like that,punchy and sassy.

Overall a fine listen,ta for posting.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 09:45:33 PM »
Hi Ros, great to have you on board. Nice modern sound, can just imagine this as a drivetime Dj hot pick. Your VOCs are very good and some nice harmony work. Well produced , played and executed. Not the sort of stuff that I would normally listen to but nevertheless a good modern pop song  :)

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 11:29:11 PM »
Hi Rosanna and welcome!

This is totally not my bag, but I can appreciate the talent/work that went into it.
Is this sth you intend to market - and to what genre? Just curious..
Nice vocals and harmonies - I like the lead guitar work - very pro sounding recording all round.
Lyrically, the hook could be stronger - the title doesn't really draw me in, and I think you acknowledged it may be a bit long.

Hope this isn't too harsh - keep in mind I know nothing of the genre (whatever it is..)

Paul

Moomond

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 01:29:58 AM »
Like some of the previous posters, this isn't a style I'd usually listen to, but I think it's terrific for what it is. I could easily hear this pouring out of speakers in a sleazy bar at 2 am as everybody gets emotional. It is quite MOR, but to me that's just the style, and the story is more interesting than I'd expect to hear from something that sounds this professionally produced!

I do think it's a little too long, maybe just by a chorus.

I think it's the sad-sordid subject matter that makes me like this song, in a genre I normally wouldn't have any time for. Good job.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
Hi Rosanna,

Sounding great, Lovely Vocal and production as most have said,

Great Guitar work too.

Roll on the next.

Andy