konalavadome

Forum mega-collaboration

• 76 Replies

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »
Following our 'live chat' experiment last weekend (thanks to Dutchbeat for organising it) and a few follow-up posts, an idea was born!   8)

I Quote
may i add to this topic that i would like to discuss one huge songwriterforum collaboration project where we in some way would make one musical project with all regular forumites joining in (as lyricists, as singers, instrumentalists, mixers, a little group of video makers etc.). A project so big and unprecedented       that we  / this forum and our glorious leader - he who makes this world sing - TONE into the national press     
i know this is megalomanic, but i am serious.....one day i hope we can really make a well coordinated musictrack in which 20 or 30 of us put in there best talent     
i know it sounds bizar and pretty impossible, so why not try it???

I "volunteered" to make the first post for this so here it is.  I can hear some of you already thinking "how the hellck can a committee of 20 or 30 people produce anything "well coordinated", well... therein lies the challenge!  but, how many credits do you see on a typical film?

I suppose I should offer something constructive to get this started so I made a list of 'things that could be contributed to', hoping to kick off some discussion; here it is:
  • title
    concept / story
    why we are doing it, objectives (charity? fun? masochistic reasons? money? to show your mum etc).
    Lyrics
    chords
    vocals: melody, harmonies, duets, tripluets, quadruplets... ???
    instruments: drums, bass, guitars, piano, synths, triangle...
    instrumental sections?
    arrangement
    recording
    mixing / engineering
    sound effects
    mastering
    marketing / publicising & generally spreading the word
    video (any budding film stars out there?)
    story creation for the video (apologies to film experts who know the proper terminology)
    filming & editing, synching video to music
    Design, Photography & Artwork for the cassette cover (or whatever they use these days)

This list os off the top of my head so I probably missed something vital, ooh, coordinating all these activities, and maybe a core sub-committee of moderators perhaps to act as a 'steering group' and make sure we all don't go mad (any doctors or lawyers on the forum?).  Anyway, with one person to each item that's 20 - 30 people we need already  ;D           easy!

Before we compile a list of potential 'collaborators' (eek, sounds a bit dodgy already), and a list of all things to be done we'll need someone to keep it all together.  First though, let's get some ideas in, some 'tentative' offers to be involved, and see if this centipede has any legs.

You are invited to take a giant brain-dump into this post  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That ok DB?
cheers,
GTB
GTB

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:56:10 PM »
Raging I missed the live chat! My computer skills are seriously lacking - yes there is actually something I'm worse at than writing lyrics! - plus a dodgy internet connection didn't help matters either!

Sounds like an amazing idea. I'd defo be up for t though tbh I don't know where my very limited capabilities would fit in? As this is an online forum I can't even make the tea for the real songwriters!!!!!! :(   

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:00:02 PM »
I'LL BRING THE BISCUITS!!
And if I can be of any assistance with the lyrics, I can help write us some words :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 09:17:45 PM »
I would definitely give a go at writing lyrics as that is all I can do. Sounds like a great idea though!

Sounds like an amazing idea. I'd defo be up for t though tbh I don't know where my very limited capabilities would fit in? As this is an online forum I can't even make the tea for the real songwriters!!!!!! :(  

awww I made tea ;)
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 01:02:11 PM »
Count me in, in any capacity that I can be :) we need to decide on the topic/genre...Dutchbeat suggested maybe writing a song about the forum...I followed that with the 'forum addict' concept, as I was thinking of writing a song myself with that subject...humorous of course ;D ;D ...anyway just throwing out some ideas and I won't be offended if nobody likes it...let's hear some others ;D ;D

I went to a songwriters workshop a few years ago...there were about 20 odd in the group and one of the activities was to write a song together by each of us writing a line after the last line was written not knowing what the other lines were...then the instructor put all those lines into an organized song, which turned out pretty good ;D ;D don't know how we'd do that on this forum though ???

I would love to help out with the lyrics, harmonies, sound effects, maybe helping with the video in some small way and I do play the trumpet to some degree  :)

Let's do this guys 8) 8)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »
GTB,
as I said to Db I'm happy to contribute whatever's required.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 05:26:11 PM »
hi
justsome thoughts, i think we need lyrics first, and we may just have to ask one of our extremely productive and commercially sounding songwriters if they can come up with a tune after that...a tune in which a sort of choir (of us songwriters) can sing the chorus.

each writing a line could be an option...as suzy suggested

a song about songwriting addiction could be option, we can make a bit of fum of ourselves perhaps?

or we could go for songwriting for peace...sorry for the corny thoughts

but a more John lennon like: - make music, not war - song
corny lines that came up for while drving back from work (sorry for the extreme clichés)

make music, not war

pick up your guitar in stead of a gun
start singing in stead of shouting
no need for drones, all we need is drums
a fleet of flutists
a platoon of percusionists
a division of drummers
a bataljon of bass players
a legion of lyricists
etc.
etc.

i know, it is really bad...but it got me through that traffic jam  ;D ;D ;D ;D
and i put it out here,anyway, to get some juices flowing in our army of lyricists  ;D ;D ;D

i would like to play a role in comiling the video, if that would be ok, hoping that every instrumentalist and lyricist would sen a small clip of about 20 to 30 seconds with some sort of visual representation of what songwriting is for you, what it means for you or something vaguely connected to your songwriting passion so that we can mix all these images up ????

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
hey,

this sounds like a nice idea, HARD WORK but good for the forum and it's artists,
if I can help in any way I will do what ever it takes,

creative minds so diverse
 pluck a tune from nowhere
 and make it work,

lets do it,  tony...

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 09:30:56 PM »
I LOVE the idea about what songwriting means to you...
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »
Sounds like an epic project, of which I'd be proud to play a part. Maybe I could contribute some piano/ BVs? :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Dutchbeat

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:02 PM »
cool!!! Tone, yes, the pianos are all yours, i would say

but what are BVs ??? ??? ???  :P :P :P :P

i know what they are in Dutch, but surely you are not pointing to that..you are far much a gentleman for that ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dutchbeat

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »
oh, sorry..ah

i think BVs must be Backing Vocals now..

pfff..

you almost got yourself banned there, Tone  :o :o :o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 11:18:04 PM »
i might end of being the tamborine player haha if i get a chance!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 12:42:11 AM »
Tee hee! :D I'm intrigued now Dutchbeat, what does BV mean in Dutch?!

And you can't ban me - IT'S MY FORUM! MUAHAHAHAH :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 09:23:05 AM »
I'd be happy to contribute some music/melody to the lyrics.

Alan.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:26:43 AM by Alan Starkie »