konalavadome

Drums advice please..

• 8 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: May 05, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »
Hi, I'm trying to include a bit more percussion in some of my songs. I have downloaded garageband and have figured out some drum loops that I like and have exported them into my DAW. I have made two tracks, one is a very simple thump thump kick drum type thing at 160bpm, the other is based on the first but features other drums from the kit, (I don't know their names) to add interest.

The problem is...

When I try to use the second sequence, the additional drums sound out of tune to what I'm playing on the guitar.. I tried moving the capo up and down to find a better fit but to no avail..

Do drums have a form of tuning?

What am I doing wrong?

Dutchbeat

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:54:13 AM »
yes, of course you can pitch them, just like a instrumental track in garageband or any other daw. So you can put the drums sounds a few semitones higher or lower...and they do sound different

but i am not sure that is going to help

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
If you get the free kontakt player (it is VST, dunno if you can use that with garage band), you can import samples into it and do all kinds of things with them, including fine tuning.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
Drums can be tuned but it is unlikely that "normal" drums would sound out of tune with the guitar

I am guessing that you are using some "pitched" percussion instruments - these are usually found in the higher notes

Can you isolate these particular drum/percussion pieces from the rest of the drums?

If so you could try re-tuning within the DAW or a big +1 to Kontakt
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll look at Kontakt and keep you posted..

I think I can alter the key of the project in garageband so I'll also try that.

Is it just me or are drums really hard to get sorted  ??? ???

Especially when all I want is some very simple, primitive stuff, (medieval-ish sounding..) I may be better to record my own sounds, from home made items.. hmmm..

Cheers

hab..

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:36:57 AM by Ramshackles »

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »
I've done most of my music recently with EZ Drummer. It's a delight to use and gives incredibly realistic results if you're prepared to put in some time tweaking individual bars for that authentic sound. Well worth using. I had to invent an imaginary drummer to "explain" my drums tracks...

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »
Hey! Someone edited my post above, prob by accident but just so you know, I haven't used a real drummer...  Yet :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
oops sorry, the 'quote' and 'modify' buttons are right next to each other for admins....

I meant to quote you and say:

Drums are very hard when programming/using loops as it is very difficult to get that natural feel, which for the type of music you are doing is important.
I used to used loops, vst's etc a while ago, and eventually came to the (obvious) conclusion that in order to get natural, 'real' sounding drums, you should use real drums :)

I've used online drummers and now have enough equipment to record my own drums (I still sometimes use an online drummer who is very skilled qnd quick to understand the type of music). Recording drums is another challenge in itself as a drum kit is essentially a collection of instruments.

I like to use 'found' sounds as well for percussion. The sound of wood chopping, hitting a chair with drum sticks, playing my knees with brushes etc etc.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »
No probs Ramsy,

I always fancied trying that, recording random sounds and creating something..