Where Do You Go, My Romeo

• 23 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 03:14:37 AM »

@MonnoDB  : Interesting ideas. I'll have to try them out and see what happens. I've been singing it "I believe" for a few days now, and I've grown accustomed to it that way. If I added the "do" back it it would be a case of considering

i DO be LIEVE vs I do be LIEVE

and determining which emphasis I want.

It hadn't occurred to me to reverse the phrases of the first line. I'll have to play with that a bit. Thanks for the input! And I'm so glad you like it. :)

@tboswell : Good idea! I'm working on an album and could put this at the end. It IS very simple and really not the type of thing I ordinarily do at all. Thanks for the complimentary remarks.

@Tor Løvstad : Thanks for your lovely comments. I actually took the idea for this song from an old song from the 1800s, although, I think I made it more "stalky" than the inspirational piece. It isn't particularly personal, but I consider it a compliment that it gives that impression. Thanks so much!

And thanks to everyone for listening.  :D

Vicki

Tor Løvstad

• Busker
  • "When the morning sun has come"
    • Tune Academia
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 07:00:11 AM »
@CaliaMoko: That took me by surprise. I did not know it was an old song from the 1800´s and that it was not a very personal song. Agreed it may sound a bit "stalky" as you say. Anyway I like what you have done in this recording :)
Strive to be a better songwriter every day.
Be grateful for who you are.
Remember that is what gives you an egde.

Learn how to write songs at Tune Academia:
http://www.tuneacademia.com

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 01:10:19 PM »
@Tor Løvstad : I should record the song that inspired me...the one from the 1800s. Maybe I'll do that one of these days so you can compare the song that inspired me with the song I wrote.  ;D

Tor Løvstad

• Busker
    • Tune Academia
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 09:04:09 PM »
@CaliaMoko Yes, that´s a great Idea. Go for it! Sounds like an exiting project, comparing your song to the one that Inspired you. :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 10:20:09 PM »
Hi Vicki. This is lovely.  It reminds me of an olde English folk song. Something that would have been sung around the fire by all and sundry. I would definitely pursue it as it's got so much potential  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 11:18:23 PM »
@Tor Løvstad : Well, it appears I will not be recording the original version unless I find myself a ragtime piano player. I've tried to work out the chords so I could play it on guitar, but some of them are beyond my current level. I tried entering the music into the computer and playing it back with a midi instrument, but it sounded horrible. I'll just say...it's in ragtime style and it's about twice as long as what I ended up with. And the "my heart's in pawn...you can keep the ticket" part came right out the original, not quite word for word. I, unfortunately, never thought up that awesome idea on my own. :(

@pompeyjazz : Thanks, John! I think folk must be my natural style. We did a lot of playing and singing around the fire in college and it's in my blood.

Tor Løvstad

• Busker
    • Tune Academia
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 09:48:17 PM »
Well, that´s a shame. Lets hope you get hold of a ragtime piano player. Perhaps it´s best to let that idea rest for a little while? Great lyrics. :) you will come up with something that´s as good as that. ;) Who wrote the original?

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 01:01:12 AM »
@Tor Løvstad : The original song, written in 1880, is "That's Genuine First Class Yiddisha Love" written by Addison Burkhardt and Harry von Tilzer.

Tor Løvstad

• Busker
    • Tune Academia
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 08:44:15 AM »
@CaliaMoko Thank you for the information :)