My Very First Car

• 14 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: October 09, 2020, 04:17:14 PM »
There isn't much for background or notes on this song. I would normally never have written it, but a public radio station in Minnesota has regular challenges for local (Minnesota and Minnesota-connected) songwriters. A recent one was "My First Car". I never really had a first car of my own, but I did grow up on a farm, so I used that background to come up with this idea. Cowparsleyman did the production for me, so I can't explain anything about that. I did say I was going for a retro surfer sound, like Beach Boys or Jan & Dean might have done.

I'm not looking for anything specific for feedback. Maybe--does it work? That is, can you hear a retro surfer sound?

Here's the song: https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/my-first-car

And here's the lyric:

MY VERY FIRST CAR

Rollin’ down the highway in my very first set of wheels
Cruisin’ just as fast as I can away from the fields
Well, the sign says “stop”; I say no, no, no
This is my ride; I’m gonna go, go, go, go, go
Better than a tractor and definitely more of a thrill

CHORUS
It’s my very first car and I’m gonna go have a blast
It’s my very first car and I’m gonna go very fast
I am so excited that I have my own car at last.

Wavin’ at my friends as I nonchalantly drive on by
I see the looks on their faces and I feel so satisfied
While I do admit it isn’t new, no, no, no, no
It has a lot of power; it can go, go, go, go, go
I am so delighted; I finally have a car to drive

CHORUS

BRIDGE
I have driven tractors on my daddy’s farm
Milked the cows and thrown the hay down in the barn
I don’t mind the work, but what I really need
Is something I can drive with a whole lotta speed

CHORUS

Copyright 2020 Vicki Morrison Goble
All Rights Reserved

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 05:47:06 PM »
Hi Vicki - Yep ! You have nailed the Jan & Dean / Beach Boys sound. I heard this a few weeks ago before the "additions" and loved it then. It's a great catchy upbeat number that brought a big smile to my face  Love the harmony vocals and your voice is really suited to this kind of song :) Just off to get my surf board  :)

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 08:04:01 PM »
Optimism dresses this song!!!! @CaliaMoko you took me in your car!! I think it has twist style @cowparsleyman did a great production.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 01:30:06 PM »
Hi Vicki,

Great throwback.
Those opening drums are great.

I think you fit in with backing track very well.

Surf is UPPP!!!!

Digger

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »
Yes, definitely love that surf feel. "Better than a tractor", is a great line and evokes that country childhood. I think only you would go for "nonchalantly" - and it's spot on for the image you were going for.

Shout out to CPM for the lead guitar and backing vocals which definitely have his fingerprints on them - great stuff.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 11:32:53 AM »
@CaliaMoko @cowparsleyman

Hi guys, you've nailed the retro sound with a nice pastiche of the genre.All the boxes are ticked!

Nice one!

Cheers

Jamie

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 12:21:45 PM »
Hi Vicki,
The surf feel is pretty hard to miss! In the spirit of trying to be honest in my reviews, I have to say I didn't really get this. I think your vocal delivery does not sit well with the genre of the song and I just didn't believe in what you were singing. I though it just didn't gel. Sorry to be negative.
M

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 03:27:15 PM »
Thank you to everyone who's been listening. I really appreciate all the comments.

@pompeyjazz : I also especially love the harmonies for this. Harmony is usually my favorite part, and this has quite a bit, so it was a lot of fun to do.

@moraamarolaloba : Thank you! And, often, when I listen to this, it reminds me of the song "Peppermint Twist", so I know what you mean.

@digger72 : Yes, the opening drums...I smile every time I hear them.

@adamfarr : Thanks for noticing the "nonchalantly"! One person (not from the forum) thinks that word is too sophisticated for the song, but it was what I wanted, so I stuck with it.

@Jamie : Thank you muchly.

@montydog :  Thank you so much. I wondered if anyone would mention that. I agree with you. I think it might work better, maybe, if I did it in a lower key. And maybe, if/when I do it live, I'll try a lower key. But for this one, I think more of a Joan Jett, maybe Blondie, possibly Kim Carnes might work. Or a rock and rollish male voice might be better. Jan & Dean would be perfect.

Thank you all for listening!

Vicki

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 04:47:43 PM »
Hi Vicki, I think this is a lot of fun and quite accurate as a replica of that era and genre of music, with its repetitive backing harmonies, rock and roll borrowings and genuine surf guitar. The excitement of the narrator in bagging her first car definitely comes across and is infectious.

I can see what Alan means above about the vocal style, but I quite liked the incongruity of what you might expect to hear and what your rather sweet old girl band style of singing actually delivered.

Some nice additions in here and the guitar solo is a blast. Yep, one to make me smile. :)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 09:04:09 PM »
A great, fun listen that nails the vibe of that era nicely.

Loved the story and lyric...very cute and brought back happy/sad memories.

Not long after I'd learned to drive, an uncle had died and my lovely Auntie said I could have their old car for nowt. It was an Austin Allegro, which had a reputation as being one of the worst cars British Leyland ever produced in the war-torn industrial wasteland of 1970s Britain. And although it was social suicide to be seen in it, and I used to joke that the accelerator was actually just a volume pedal, I ran it for three years and it only cost me £3.95 for a track rod end and £4 to have the bizarre hydragas suspension system refilled.

I was gutted when I scrapped it - netting me a profit of £25 - because I left Arturo Barea's Spanish Civil War Trilogy - The Track, The Forge and The Clash on the back seat by accident.

Cool song, Vicki...and nicely steered home by CPM...

Ps also, I just remembered...the fuel gauge was goosed, so I used to figure on getting around 35 mpg and add petrol accordingly, out of my unemployment benefit...but when the fuel tank sprung a leak, you used to be able to buy these kind of industrial elastoplasts to patch them up. So for ages, I tried to run it down to empty, before my mate and I unbolted the fuel tank to repair it. I thought it must be just about empty...so I positioned myself underneath, ready to lower it down gently and braced myself...but when Steve undid the last bolt, it still had loads of petrol left in, dropped like a ton of bricks and nearly flattened me.

Happy days.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:41:56 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 03:21:52 AM »
Hi Vicky

I love the simplicity of the lyrics here - and you sing them so clearly.
The surfer feel and the backing track and harmonies - all perfectly reflect the genre.
Yeah there's the odd cymbal crash that seems out of place if I were to really nit-pick but they didn't detract from a good song at the core of this. Well done both!

Paul

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »
Hi @CaliaMoko

I really enjoyed this retro surfer styled song, great lyrics and fabulous vocals, also a big shout out for CPM for such a great production and arrangement.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 04:19:37 PM »
A great, fun listen that nails the vibe of that era nicely.

Loved the story and lyric...very cute and brought back happy/sad memories.

Not long after I'd learned to drive, an uncle had died and my lovely Auntie said I could have their old car for nowt. It was an Austin Allegro, which had a reputation as being one of the worst cars British Leyland ever produced in the war-torn industrial wasteland of 1970s Britain. And although it was social suicide to be seen in it, and I used to joke that the accelerator was actually just a volume pedal, I ran it for three years and it only cost me £3.95 for a track rod end and £4 to have the bizarre hydragas suspension system refilled.

I was gutted when I scrapped it - netting me a profit of £25 - because I left Arturo Barea's Spanish Civil War Trilogy - The Track, The Forge and The Clash on the back seat by accident.

Cool song, Vicki...and nicely steered home by CPM...

Ps also, I just remembered...the fuel gauge was goosed, so I used to figure on getting around 35 mpg and add petrol accordingly, out of my unemployment benefit...but when the fuel tank sprung a leak, you used to be able to buy these kind of industrial elastoplasts to patch them up. So for ages, I tried to run it down to empty, before my mate and I unbolted the fuel tank to repair it. I thought it must be just about empty...so I positioned myself underneath, ready to lower it down gently and braced myself...but when Steve undid the last bolt, it still had loads of petrol left in, dropped like a ton of bricks and nearly flattened me.

Happy days.

@PaulAds - Was that one with the square steering wheel? I'm surprised that there was any petrol left, I just remember people going about with their breath reeking of petrol, as shake your money and the oil crisis gripped England.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 05:10:47 PM »
Mine was a mk 2...registration number SVK 220S...and it had a steering wheel that was the correct shape...I think it was a 1978 model...by which time they must have ironed out that particular design flaw.

It was funny, because on the way to pick it up, I was wondering what car I'd most like it to be...and then I thought I was getting carried away with myself, so I decided, more realistically, that I'd better be prepared for what car I'd be most disappointed with. The Allegro was actually second on my list after the comically cube-like Fiat 126 like my Uncle John had. I felt awful because it was so lovely of my Auntie to give me the car for nothing. But I was a little bit gutted, if I'm honest. That's gratitude for you  :)

I remember Sheik Yamani...Saudi Oil Minister...and yes...syphoning petrol...kids today don't know how easy they have it!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 08:05:19 PM »
Hey @CaliaMoko - Vicki, this song is a lot of fun! Yes you certainly have filled the brief to your question.. It's peppered with lovely touches.. great lyrics.. LOVED the tractor refs.. The BVs are absolutely fab (I really loved the "..away from the fields..fields.." BV... that little pause before the second "fields" is magic)..

Guitar as noted by others is really great as are the drums..

And I really love your sweet vocal on this - sometimes contrast to what your ear expects is the most amazing thing.. That's the case for me here..

K