konalavadome

First Post - U R Here

• 3 Replies

DAKnox

• Busker
« on: March 07, 2017, 03:32:19 PM »
Hi,

First time I've posted anything.  I listen to a lot of prog. I love Pink Floyd. I like early Genesis and Yes. I like all sorts though from Nick Drake to Radiohead!

I'm not much of a singer though. I've played guitar in bands for years.

So I've recently had the idea of creating a solo album. Instrumental...proggy...ambient...I've been listening to Mike Oldfield for inspiration!  A concept album of sorts around memories of my life. Very loose concept but that's the idea just now. Very very very early days.

Here is my first attempts at starting this process. Just wonder what people think of it. If it's listenable, where they feel it's heading etc.

Any comments appreciated...thanks!
https://soundcloud.com/davidknoxmusic/urherewip

Mike67

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »
Hi, not much to base a review on, and not sure exactly what you want comments on, but the bit you've posted certainly sounds good.  I guess you'll only know when you get into the project whether you want to stick with the instrumental approach or look to collaborate with a singer or number of singers. A good start.

Mike

Mono Stone

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
Sounds pretty good, but I think it's too early to know how it will end up sounding...

As an instrumental it will need to develop and stay interesting.

What you have so far doesn't really bring a mood to be honest, yet. I think it'll need more depth and texture...ages spent tweaking each sound...arranging, mixing, and probably won't come together until it's fully produced.

I think it's easier to judge sung songs early on, because they have words and melody and could stand up just busked with guitar and vocal... but with ambient/spacey type instrumentals it's all about the tune, the mood/atmosphere, and the overall sound. The tune you have so far doesn't really grab me, but again it might if the production and arrangement gave it a lot of depth and atmosphere.

Based on the type of music you mention you like... I think the music needs to be a bit trippy, needs to shift the listener's mood pretty much as soon as it comes on in headphones and take us into your world (or certainly within the length of this track it should).

Sounds like a fine start... just too early in development to really give the impression. Unless you feel this is an example of the 'sound' in which case I think it would be wise to revisit it and really work into the sound.

Hope that's some help.

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 05:14:34 PM »
Difficult to give feedback on a short piece of ambient music, stuff like this can only really be judged in context

I like the sampling and the production but it needs to develop a bit so there's a sense of progression. Suppose that will come later

Welcome to the forum