New Album “Far Too Funky”

• 7 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 09:52:25 AM »
Congrats John... I'm playing it right now... great riffy sax opening!
It's all too beautiful.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 11:24:40 AM »
Yeah, really enjoyed it John.  It's the sound of a talented multi-instrumentalist really enjoying their craft and celebrating their influences.  Stand out tracks for me at first full listen were 'Far Too Funky', '100 Percent' and 'My Little Helper' although it is all quality really.  Another thing I thought was cool was that the tracks all have a degree of consistency between them, as if it had all been recorded in the same time and place and spirit, which I always think adds something to an album... a bit like the way great bands used to move into a particular studio for a fortnight and churn out a classic album.  Great work dude.
It's all too beautiful.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 09:56:25 PM »
Hi John, well done on putting this out.

The title track itself would sit well on a Stevie Wonder LP, which for me is a big compliment, as back in the mid/late 70s I was a big fan. Would’ve been a hit back then… these days no idea, not being down with the kids.

The ‘Far off War’ track with its nods to The Specials and Clash is my personal fave on the album.

And had to wait until the end, but ‘Jets’ is a lovely outro. At least four or five hits here - well in my era anyway, ha ha! So great to hear these wonderful compositions, thanks guys! 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 09:14:52 AM »
Sorry tried to edit the above after more listening, but couldn’t.

Anyway John, this is a fantastic testament to your versatile songwriting skill and musicianship. So much interest from start to finish and very well sung throughout. I loved the retro mood that constantly pervaded , and wow, emotions from bile to controlled sentimentality - this album had it all!

Hopefully you’ll get some well deserved recognition for it anyway. Brilliant! 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 04:31:51 PM »
Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments and your support. It really is much appreciated  :)

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 05:05:01 PM »
I've been off site for a little while (though I did devour you album, I believe on release day!) so I'm only to happy to give my thoughts.

There's a wonderful breadth of genre and sounds contained in this album @pompeyjazz from the Chicago in the late 70's opener to the rhythms and intrigue of Far Off War to the lovely pop-y joy of 100% through to the rock-y edge of No time and the soul of My Little Helper. The one common theme was you and your artistic vision. It bound it all with your soul and passion, your ability and skill as well as your respect and love for all music, past and present - thereby creating the best of all music, music for now and the future.
  I really enjoyed listening through this, twice now.
  I wish you nothing but the best. Thank you for sharing both your music and your kindness.  :)

CCB

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 09:02:35 PM »
Gee, all of you, I feel pretty damn humbled reading all of these wonderful comments. As some of you know, I only started writing again around 8 years ago and have had so many wonderful musical experiences and so much help and support from you guys on the forum. Thank you all so much. A busy day tomorrow with a festival gig, opening up with a 11am start then open mic in the evening. Thank you all once again  :)