Newbie seeking advice on direction with the writing process

• 4 Replies

cjbear27

• Busker
« on: November 11, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
Hello,

I have just joined this forum to hopefully gain some valuable advice on the songwriting process. I am a songwriter and have played in bands and do at current. Playing in bands you make a demo and you send it off but the songwriting process is becoming a bit confusing to me. I have material I would like to either get published or for a record company to take on. Thing I am so unsure of is what to actually send out. I have been told complete opposite ways in which to do this. I have been told to send demos out with just a basic vocal and possibly guitar or piano and to never over produce the demo in terms on songwriting, the more basic the better because its easier for the publishers/record company's to spot a good song and have an idea of what they could do with the song or what kind of artist it may fit. I have also been told to really produce a demo of your songs very professionally to the sound you would want it. So if your song was wrote with a rock sound then produce it that way and send it off. The first way with the vocal and instrument makes more sense to me as it would obviously present the song itself in a more open way to the listener and they could you possibly think ok we could turn this into a rock song or hip hop song ect where as if you produce it as a rock song then thats what it is going to sound like and may eliminate the opportunity for the listener to come up with all sorts of ideas for the song. So I am quite confused as in what direction to head! and very egar to get some material out there so anyone who can help or has a lot of experience in this area this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 09:06:38 PM »
Full production. Agencies who distribute tip sheets (requests from the music industry for songs) insist on songs being fully produced. Such is the investment in artists these days publishers, management and record companies want to hear what the song will sound like when it's finished in order to assess its commercial viability. They're not in the business of guessing and the idea that a song could be considered as a rock or hip hop number will never happen.

Decide on the style of music you prefer writing, stick to that and be the best you can in that genre and record the final song as complete in terms of production as you're able to get it.

Chris

kicked

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:15:51 PM »
Sweet advice Sonic-r
                  Worth listening to those words, could save a lot of heartache for a lot of people......

kicked

fastlane

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 11:47:50 PM »
Great advice Sonic-R!! It is so true!

A tip that most people over look is referencing. Sometimes it's great to sit down with a guitar and write a song that just comes to you. I still do it all the time. But, if you have a 'Who's looking' list or your band wants to be of a certain genre and style then reference songs to give you a head start. I don't mean copy either. Listen to each part of the song and work out how it influences the part after and preceding. Listen for the emotion, the lyrical content, the melody and how it interacts with the rhythm and music. Study it and you'll find that when you make a start you'll have a direction. It's a different discipline but it is one that helps you become a good songwriter fast plus when you get into it you'll have fun ;)

Wasn't it the Stones who used to jam over Beatles songs until they stumbled upon something unique and that sounded like the Stones.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »
and Oasis jamming on Beatles songs untill they were Oasis songs
(with the best ones still sounding very Beatles-esque)

but perhaps the best way to start is too just make and play what you like and hope that others agree...
i don't believe that any fixed strategy exists that will your music published in the end, so better make music that you want to play and enjoy it  ;D