konalavadome

Jodie

• 26 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:24:40 AM »
There was a story in the local press a while back which has been on my mind.

Long story short.

Elderly lady lived alone and died alone.

It was 2 years after her death before her body was discovered.

As individuals and as a society we have questions we need to ask ourselves.

The song is a straight ahead blues/rocker thang,nothing fancy or groundbreaking,but it's from the heart and if it encourages any listener to call on a friend or neighbour,then that may dilute the isolation and exclusion some experience every day.

Sorry to get heavy and preachy,but sometimes folk matter even when little else does.

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/jodie/s-AtFcO

Jodie answered the phone
But no one said hello
Hey,hey,is anyone there?

In some ways she was glad
The phone rang when she was sad
Hey,hey,is anyone there?

She sits by the fire burning low
With memories from long ago
Hey,hey is anyone there?

This Monday passed on a week
Where she hasn't heard anyone speak
Hey,hey,is anyone there?

Jodie was found in her chair
Two years dead,no one cared
Hey,hey,is anyone there?

People come,people go
No one sheds a tear
People come,people go
Were we ever here?

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:03:37 AM »
Hi Skub, welcome back.
Really liked the guitar tones that opened this, the fingerpicking riffery towards the end, and the vocal hook that ends each verse.  The "Were we ever here?" lines lends a nice metaphysical punch too, and that telephone-voice going "Hello?" is weirdly atmospheric.
I do tend to find it hard to love a straight 12-bar-blues chord pattern if I'm honest though... I find myself waiting for the twist if you know what I mean. That said, your guitar is a joy as ever on top of it and it's a neat backdrop for a thought provoking story.
It's all too beautiful.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:39:29 AM »
Solid blues track and some great guitar playing. I imagine this would be a really rocker live.

Love the phone effects and nice finish!

Kevin

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 04:13:34 PM »
Love it..good solid rocker always a winner in my book, coupling it with such a subject makes it a bit unusual I reckon..
nice work mate.
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:38:16 PM »
Hey Skubbers,

Hope you're well!

Aha I love that 'long story short' but here's a song about it; how a simple line can turn into an explosion of feeling is truly a beautiful part of songwriting.

Though what a very daunting and disturbing story it is; how terribly sad and alone she must've been.

Vocal really captures all of that nicely being raspy and powerful whilst feeling a little vulnerable at the right places. Really enjoy the vocal production too it's really clean how you've managed to vary the sections quite a bit without coming across as obtrusive. "She sits by the file burning low.." sounds stunning.

Saying that though there's something about the "People come, people go" section which feels slightly odd, and I'd be intrigued to hear again without the words there - or maybe extended so not as compact.

The fact you focused on the phone really made it seem like she couldn't get about, being old and suffering disability - and that were her only hope - slowly losing her mind.

Really powerful stuff, and paired with an incredible listen you've got me on board.

Doesn't feel preachy at all, informative and thought-provoking more.

All the best,
Scott.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:59:18 PM »
Two years?! That's crazy sad. But now someone cares. You've given her the most beautiful tribute, and people are thinking about Jodie. Great song, skub. Loved everything about it.

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 11:27:42 PM »
Hi Skub

Great guitar work, production and an unexpected pause and a twist at the end to keep things interesting. Having read the lyrics before listening, I was expecting something more melancholic. Regardless, the song is a foot tapper that would be good to hear live and the lyrics delivery the message without being preachy.

James

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:31:29 PM »
Liking this skub,
Simple and direct with the three piece backing allowing you vocals, lead work and more harp please. lots of room to tastefully explore the traditional of the 3 chords
Tasteful arrangement and recording.
Wasn't sure about the gap the the middle eight.
Good work
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Vintage54

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 07:41:21 PM »

Hi Skub,
      Everything about this is just dandy, right up my street. Good musicianship, good guitar, good singing, good lyrics. What's not to like.

Good song
                               Vintage54

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:10:12 AM »
A great, tragic story...really well told

The stop/start arrangement breaks the music up brilliantly and keeps the interest levels high...and I love the slightly-puzzled spoken “hello”s

Excellent  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 02:34:34 PM »
A touching number that reflects the sometimes sad state of society. A lovely song well handled and executed

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 01:23:08 PM »
Hi Skub, still wearing your social conscience! good idea well worked and played. Loved that little circular guitar riff sounded great. Good production too!
Nice work!
Cheers
Jamie

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 08:56:08 PM »
PaulyX

Thanks for your kind comments Pauly,despite not liking the ubiquitous 12 bar. I have a long association with da blooze,so at times I have to release it,or I'll explode!  :D

kevysc

Ta Kev.  :)

shadowfax

Ta the other Kev.  :D

ScottLevi

Hey Scott,I'm fine. Settling into a new normal and it'll take a while,ta for asking and for your comments. :)

redrhodie

Glad you enjoyed the song Lynn.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 09:48:30 PM »
Without a doubt you have your own style and its great to hear, this hit us and reminds us of the real world were the forgotten really is forgotten, but thanks to you this old lady is not forgotten, should be played on daytime radio and the old lady's story read out before it.

If you ever do acoustic session include this one and video tape it, dont forget to post it as well  8)

Messager

• Busker
  • I like chords with too many notes in them
    • My Music :)
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 10:24:09 PM »
This song would be such great road trip music  :D

I really dig it, the energy is infectious and the guitars sound really lush and full.  My only issue was that the change about three quarters in seemed a little abrupt but I know others have already mentioned it...

But anyways well done on a really fun track with some refreshingly interesting and unique lyrics!
We are drifting in a sonorous haze