konalavadome

Time to scrap the top 40?

• 89 Replies

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2017, 11:22:02 AM »

@Sing4me88 ,  i'm resisting your snide digs , doesn't bother me what you say , you're  uninformed to say the least . I suggest you do more research on how the music game works and modify your point of view, if you can that is.  Everything takes several years ,for  anything to happen.......and then nothing might.......coming out with these 'you're only jealous ,cos you're not rich and famous' comments, shows me you have 'playground' mentality, apart from breathtaking ignorance.

As far as my PRO music career is going, and yes i can say that, i do have a proper CD , which i continue to market.....and it's a tough thing to be doing. i spend time on social media ,building contacts/relationships up .....inc the odd interchange with celebrity artists...like LeAnn rimes  ,,you never know what will come of this along the line...
Also i'm waiting for a music only file to across from Nashville ,so one of the ex-x-Factor contestants can cover it..then if it's good enough ..see about some promotion...

Funnily enough, i even have an Ed Sheeran inspired song, that i'm working on..sang it on guitar even ( chords so far @G-CAAD9-D-DSUS4-EM7) , which i'm approaching a few peeps about..might use some session musicians off Fiverr to work on it to demo standard....er what else....actually that's enough for the moment. ;)

1) I didn't have any 'snide dig' at you and it's unfortunate that you would take it as such.
2) Can anyone who has written a CD and/or performs for pay call themselves a 'PRO' now?
3) I may not be as ill-informed about the 'industry' as you think. Is it that I haven't made any inroads into the 'industry' or towards commercial success with new collabs, co-writes and networking yet or is it that I don't feel the need to log them on here or to try and flaunt them about as some sign of having songwriter gravitas?
4) Have I ever said commercial success isn't hard or that it doesn't take years to accumulate?
5) Even if you had Ed's marketing team behind you and your CD IMHO it still wouldn't be in the same stratosphere in terms of appeal or artistic merit
6) Have you ever thought you might have to modify your own point of view? Saying that you are just as good as, if not better, that ED Sheeran, Taylor Swift and Gary Barlow without having anything of substance to show is ill-advised to say the least. You say you are interested in trying to achieve commercial success. Would it not be more worthwhile studying the racft of those who have already attained it instead of adopting a know-it-all complex and attributing their success to marketing? How can you possiby progress towards your goal on the basis of insisting youare better that established hit writers and dismissing their success rather than trying to glean from what they've done and how they do it?
7) As I said before it is one think writing a song that has some sort of Ed Sheeran or Taylor Swift vibe to it but quite another to write one that they'd actually sing or that people could actually imagine them singing.

1) er yes you do..but i understand why.
2)Yes, they can...again a greater in depth knowledge would prevent you from making that statement, if you start publishing/producing/selling within music..at what point do you remain amatuer?
3) your modesty is to be admired.
4) Not sure , but you you come across to me as thinking that way.
5)Agreed.
6) Proves my point about you.
7) Taylor doesn't sing what she does not write , except when Max martin and his type have their pop golden touch all over it...did not say i was writing something ED Sheeran would want to play...again this is your complex kicking in ....interesting.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2017, 11:41:02 AM »
I wish you lot would employ the quote tool correctly, so I can actually read who's fighting who without confusing my feeble brain. :D

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2017, 11:43:46 AM »
The term 'pissing against the wind' springs to mind right now and maybe I'm a sadomasochist at heart for continuing to go down this road with you but here goes...

1) No I don't. Also why do you think, or as you put it 'understand' that I do?
2) I simply asked a question. I didn't say they couldn't. I don't think answering this question bestows any 'in depth' level of songwriting or industry knowledge on anyone just as I don't think posing it means people are bereft of in depth knowledge.
3) Maybe I've a lot to be modest about. Maybe I'm like any aspiring writer on here or other forums still floundering around chasing a dream. Maybe I've already passed up my bite of the cherry. But then again maybe I'm getting to the point of looking at the cherry now it's sitting in my hand and I'm just holding back to strike when it will be sweetest, dare I say lushest, and I'll get a bigger chunk of it. Who knows??? You'll have your opinions but either way they're immaterial
4) In many posts on here I've consistently said that success doesn't just happen over night and that it takes time ad hard work and that it is a gruelling venture. I've specifically made those points when talking about getting towards my own goals and ambitions and the trials and tribulations involved in taking the tiniest steps towards them
5) Glad we agree on something. Not saying there's not worth in your offerings IMHO they just aren't on a par with Ed.
6) Guess you've answered that question on modifying your point of view and learning from those who have already been, and continue to be, commercially successful. Let me know how that works out for you...
7) Again, you've completed missed the point.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »

While it pains me further to get all pedantic on your ass, I don't think Elton and Bernie is a fair comparison in this instance either. Since they each take the lyrics and music separately and individually, they're kind of like one songwriter in effect. They don't sit together and discuss which hook to repeat, or which line is going to appeal most to girls aged 12-17. The process is quite different as I see it.

That's actually a good point re Elton and Bernie and one I can't really disagree with.I'm actually a huge fan of their musical offerings. I must admit though your reply has given me a cracking mental image of Bernie and Elton gathered around the piano trying to pen a Jedward song - I think you've just served my ass an ultimate mind f*ck  :D

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2017, 02:25:10 AM »
With Ed Sheeran taking 16 of the top 20 spots, isn't it obvious what a mockery the music industry has become, the hype machine is out of control, and it results in this, if it was a herd of deer, you'd have to shoot 80% of them and re-breed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles

Ed who?   I probably better get a little more current in my listening I suppose.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »
With Ed Sheeran taking 16 of the top 20 spots, isn't it obvious what a mockery the music industry has become, the hype machine is out of control, and it results in this, if it was a herd of deer, you'd have to shoot 80% of them and re-breed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles

Ed who?   I probably better get a little more current in my listening I suppose.

Singer songwriter from Suffolk - pretty good

I mean you must be good to trigger something like this thread right? More beef than a Big Mac

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2017, 06:31:26 PM »
Big macs have beef now Jon?   :D

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2017, 07:08:37 PM »

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »
Good link, Mr Jones.
West Country Country Boy

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2017, 07:47:28 PM »
100% pure beef.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:48 PM »
Excellent post Mr Morefrog. Religion is the opioum of the masses and I suppose music has also been used in that way to a certain extent. Discuss.....

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2017, 10:27:01 PM »
Ed Sheeran and Marvin Gaye Mashup remix ;)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2017, 11:17:42 PM »
Off his new album Divide.

Lyrics don't come a lot crappier than this   :(, about the level of half the submissions on here, except a lot wordier ,ive highlighted some choice lines.

ED SHEERAN LYRICS
"Hearts Don't Break Around Here"

She is the sweetest thing that I know
You should see the way she holds me when the lights go low
Shakes my soul like a pot hole, :D every time
Took my heart upon a one way trip
Guess she went wandering off with it
Unlike most women I know
This one will bring it back whole
   ;D
Daisies, daisies perched upon your forehead ???
Oh my baby, lately I know

That every night I'll kiss you you'll say in my ear
Oh we're in love aren't we?
Hands in your hair, fingers and thumbs baby
I feel safe when you're holding me near
Love the way that you conquer your fear
You know hearts don't break around here
Oh yeah yeah yeah , yeah yeah yeah yeah

She is the river flow in Orwell
And tin wind chimes used for doorbells
Fields and trees and her smell, fill my lungs
:-\
Spent my summer time beside her
And the rest of the year the same
She is the flint that sparks the lighter
And the fuel that will hold the flame
Oh roses roses laid upon your bed spread
Oh my, hold this, oh this, I know

That every night I'll kiss you you'll say in my ear
Oh yeah yeah yeah

Well I found love in the inside
The arms of a woman I know
She is the lighthouse in the night that will safely guide me home ::)
And I'm not scared of passing over
Or the thought of growing old
Because from now until I go

Every night I'll kiss you you'll say in my ear
Oh yeah yeah

Every night I'll kiss you you'll say in my ear
Yeah yeah yeah
Oh yeah yeah yeah yeah

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2017, 12:17:50 AM »
For a song lyric,I'm quite enamoured with the 'Shakes my soul like a pot hole',line. Being a regular rider of a stiffly suspended sportsbike on our crappily surfaced and poorly maintained roads,I can readily identify with this one.

It has a certain je ne sais quoi..yanno?  :D

Then again I may be in the 50% of crap submissions on here,so my opinion may be moot.  :(

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2017, 12:30:59 AM »
For a song lyric,I'm quite enamoured with the 'Shakes my soul like a pot hole',line. Being a regular rider of a stiffly suspended sportsbike on our crappily surfaced and poorly maintained roads,I can readily identify with this one.

It has a certain je ne sais quoi..yanno?  :D

Then again I may be in the 50% of crap submissions on here,so my opinion may be moot.  :(

oh , hang on ..look at this way 50 % on here write like an international pop star.. ;)