konalavadome

could songwriting be an addiction?

• 51 Replies

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »
Allan and Jess,

it seems your songwriting obsession is getting out of control. i think you should both go into rehab coldturky on a ward where all music and instruments are banned, no radio, no pen and paper to scribble lyrics on, no smuggling of little instruments....

and: no humming allowed either!

WHAT ABOUT BODY PERCUSSION!?
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
hi Dutchbeat. I appear to be addicated based on your five questions! Actually it's more about compulsion than addicition. I have at times set aside periods to work at writing. So the odd day here or there. But till I can give up the day job, I basically wait till inspiration strikes and then hope I can get it done. A few years ago I wrote the first part of a song one morning then showed it to a collaborator and pianist that evening at practice. He liked it and we tweaked it but it needed a second verse. So after practice I stayed up till 4am till I'd got the second verse. Four lines in about four hours (good ones mind). That was the first time I'd managed to combined deterimination and inspiration to say right I'm going to get this finished. Course I was no use to man nor beast in the morning.

Cheers

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2013, 10:16:26 PM »
Allan and Jess,

it seems your songwriting obsession is getting out of control. i think you should both go into rehab coldturky on a ward where all music and instruments are banned, no radio, no pen and paper to scribble lyrics on, no smuggling of little instruments....

and: no humming allowed either!

WHAT ABOUT BODY PERCUSSION!?

S L A P

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2013, 10:52:26 PM »
Dutchbeat,
My name is Neil
I am not addicted
I don't recognise any of the questions you posed
If there's any problems it's how other people deal with my creative genius!
And I am not in denial
 >:(
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2013, 10:32:49 PM »
Yes, I do in fact compulsively write songs.  I can't go a week without dragging out an old song to finish, or starting a new one. 

I have no experience whatsoever with "writers block" and in fact promise to cut back my writing to some concerned person at least once every two weeks. 

Concerned friends who haven't seen me lately ask whether I'm living up to my resolution to focus on more important things.  I evade answering.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »
once i a while i bump this one up
because i want to know...
my songwriting addiction is getting out of hand more and more, making my production slower at the same time (too many options), and i just want to know how the newer forum members are coping with this, so here is the survey once more...honest answers please

Q1 when you are going on a holiday for week or longer, do you feel an urge to take an instrument of some kind with you?
   *** Luckily I never go on a holiday --  AND, that isn't how I write.

Q2 Have you ever thought I really had to go to bed because you had to get to work early next day, but thought, let me just finish the recording of this one track....and went on and on?
*** yes  Very rarely though.  That isn't my problem.

Q3 Have you ever cancelled an appointment or social engagment, making an excuse you had to work, but in fact all you wanted was to make music?

**** no, I can't say I "would never do that", but I can't recall that I have.

Q4 Have you ever entered a music store, thinking that you were just going to have a little look at the instruments / equipment, but came home with something expensive?

*** no  Two things prevent this.  I don't write with (and can't play) an instrument....   I have no money to invest into music.  I invest time, not money.

Q5: open question: doe you have given any of your instruments or equipment  a (pet) name? And if so, what is it .........

My metronome (that remains largely unused) says "Seth Thomas" on it.... so I call it "Seth." 

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »
Hello all,
             I'm fairly recent to songwriting and have only had my studio since early this year,but I do notice that in the planning of the set up I have accumulated rather more instruments than strictly speaking I need, so I think I can tick at least one box ;D.
               Once I have an idea I do feel compelled to work on it and find myself finding spare moments to escape from everyday life to build the ideas. I think that once you are bitten by it you are then in search of the next better song.
           In truth I started writing because I love music and have always wanted to have recordings that were all my own, good or bad. Seems there are more people out there felling the same than I thought. Perhaps it's an epidemic.

Compulsion at least addiction, maybe. ???

Cheers
Jamie