Escape

• 20 Replies

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« on: January 08, 2014, 09:52:43 PM »
Hi All,

We were going to do a video for this, but it didn't quite work out, and then i accidently removed the "private" thing on Soundcloud, so it's already out there. So i thought i might as well post it properly.
It's a song about a destructive couple whose lifestyles are killing them both. One decides to try to save the other by pushing them away. So i guess it's about sacrificing the person you love most to help save them.

I was hoping to post something happy, but it's been a dark few weeks, so this seemed more appropriate.

Thanks for listening and any feedback.

Digger

http://soundcloud.com/digger-72/escape

ESCAPE

There's a hole in time
That's another crime
We both forgave
But still there's pain

We should draw the line
That's another mind
I thought i'd save
I'll leave this way

That's a state I hold a lot
There's a stain, I know, I tried
That's a state i hold a lot
There's a stain, i know, i tried

Do you need this tainted creep
To fall in to your arms
And make you feel?
Make you feel

Do you want this poisoned vein
To feed your vanquished soul
And make you real?
Well, are you real?

Chorus:
Run. Escape
Don't run aground
Run. Escape. Don't run
Don't run aground
Run. Escape
I'll run aground
Run. Escape. I'll run
I'll run aground

Did you call on broken faith?
Fall on bleeding knees
Make your appeal?
Make your appeal

Did you build this empty room?
A mirror for this fool
And make your deal?
Make your deal

Chorus

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 12:01:52 AM »
I liked the song, and the lyrics. Sounds a bit like Simon & Garf. early stuff.
I think it could be more interesting tho if it had some additional non-percussive sounds as it progresses - maybe strings or organ or synth. One other nit is there seem to be occasions where the vocals clash with the chord being played - maybe this is intentional, but it didn't work for me.
Paul

tokenangmoh

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 01:41:42 AM »
Hi Digger.

I like the sound here. It's a great, airy vocal. I love the prismatic double-tracked guitar sound in the verses. Also the pulsing bass when it comes in - it may be simple eighth notes, but it's exactly what's needed.

I'm afraid I can't make much sense of the line "That's a state I hold a lot". It doesn't seem idiomatic, somehow.

But I love this verse:

Did you call on broken faith?
Fall on bleeding knees
Make your appeal?
Make your appeal

There's space between the lines here for me to fill in some meanings, and enough suggestion to make me want to do so.

I'm with Paul on the clashing vocal / chord. It happens for me at "But still there's pa-".

Nice job!

Matt

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:38:36 AM »
Hi Digger,

Yes, it's a dark song like mentioned about dark weeks.
Excellent melodies and good mix. The song is not too short or too long.
I can't find anything to improve, sorry.
The best part is when the drums and bass kick in the first time.

I like this.

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
Hi

I love the dark nature of the lyrics, and it has a progressive rock feel about it, but without the thrashy guitar solos of Porcupine Tree or Opeth. Not that Im saying I think it should have one of those. It really works for me as it is. Im not sure if people even want to be compared to other bands/singers out there, so not offence intended!

James

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »
Oh yes, like this very much. Love the guitar sound and the vocals have a lovely tone. Cracking production - sounds superb on my hi-fi. The music compliments the tone of the song perfectly. Compelling and classy right from the start. I cannot find anything I would change.

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING MONTY SAID

but not about the hi fi

really loved it thanks for sharing

couldn't fault it BEAUTIFUL

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 06:49:06 PM »
Digger,
This has been on Soundcloud repeat so I've heard it lots already and its really impressive and recognisable.
Very good tune, lovely singing and playing. Nice build with a delicateness yet with hint of something intriguing. Only question is whether it needed a contrast/middle 8 or solo to contrast with it...
Anyway good one.
 :)
Neil   
songwriter of no repute..

garys2811

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 01:20:34 AM »
There is nothing about this that isn't absolutely top notch !!! It's really well done right from the two guitars and breathy first lines. I love it when the bass and drums kick in. I could see this on a sound track. I also like the point at 2:45 where you have 3 lines all interweaving and they still don't get in the way of the melody.

I'll be playing this a lot (and letting it run onto Joanh!!!)

Love it !!!
Garys2811

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 12:15:44 PM »
Absolute treat to the ears. Although I think without your explanation I would not have worked out what was going on from the lyric.

Good stuff.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment.

I was unsure whether to make the funny guitar sounds in the middle more prominent as if they are sort of drowning the track, and perhaps lowering the acoustic guitar part at this point - perhaps creating a more stand out middle section?

Playing it on hi-fi systems? I daren't do that at home :)

I only ever listen to the songs through headphones or when the house is empty. Way too embarrassing to have others hear it.

I'll check out Porcupine Tree - don't mind a thrashy guitar solo here and there - though i can't play them.

Nearly forgot - the "that's a state i hold a lot" line is simply saying that that's a position or circumstance they often find themselves in; always making the same mistake - always feeling they need to save their lover.
So , basically a song about a drug dependent couple, and one wants to try and save the other as they are slowly killing each other.

Cheers,

Digger
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:20:00 PM by digger72 »

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 01:06:29 PM »
Hi digger, great production again. Love the guitar sounds reminded me a bit of the tone Steve Hackett used on old genesis stuff. Nothing to dislike for me, another great one!
Cheers
Jamie

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »
this reminded me of 'all about eve' who i used to love & have there albums ....wish i could sing like your singer
you always get words like stain & tainted in your songs.....makes me think your using the wrong washing powder!.......oh & theres a 'poison' ......tsk tsk ...bad food hygiene aswell!

anyway i realy liked the guitar playing & some nice guitar sounds aswell
i havent a clue what its about... oh its about a couple ...i bet there vampires & belong to a satanic cult
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 09:30:47 AM »
Lovely song digger , sound quality is excellent on my system , is that your daughter singing ?
trouble is once i put your song on soundcloud i keep listening to the next , then the next and so on , your songs are so good  :D
you should start sending demos to tv companies that make all these trendy
vampire and supernatural series , would be ideal for them.
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 07:53:42 PM »
Lyrics seemed over-simple when read, but came to life with the music and vocal treatment. 

Music is perfect to my old and untrained ears.  I only know what I like.  The song gets stronger musically as it proceeds which is exactly what I like a song to do. 

Marvelous vocals. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.