Writer's rut. Too many sad songs....

• 17 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:51:35 PM »
I played a few of my recent songs to my family the other day. They were fairly well received but there was a general feeling that the songs were quite sad, quite melencholic and dare I say it, depressing :(

What to do...?   ??? ??? ???

I write my songs as they come, aside from some recent events I am generally a happy guy with a happy little family. I have tried writing happy songs before but they always turn out cheesy.

I think it's easier to write sad songs than happy ones. They just seem to work.

How do you write an upbeat, happy (non cheesy) song?

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »
I`ll work on some happy lyrics for you.... ;)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »
maybe i have the same problem i cant stand cheesy so i go for light hearted funny ...now people may not call them classics but they are immediate ....you get a laugh ..there fun so people like them straight away ....choose a catchprase type chorus & its a winner!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 10:54:33 PM »
What to do...?   ??? ??? ???
Ask your family "Do you like Bohemian Rhapsody?"

End of dilemma :D

Here's the thing. When the people close to you discover a deeper, maybe secret melancholy side to you, there's going to be some resistance. That's why gaining your family's approval as a songwriter is ill advised in my book. Not only are they too close to the writer to be able to listen to the song objectively, but they'll hear things that may make them paranoid, worried or a little upset.

.... and that's why this forum is so fantastic! Your family love you for who you are; don't develop a need for them love you as a songwriter. Short of writing a hit song, this could be an unachievable goal.

I hope you don't find THAT to depressing ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:57:56 PM by tone »
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 06:51:53 AM »
Never ever stop yourself from writing something because you feel you've written too much ctuff that's similar to it.

When a band makes an album a massive number of songs are written/ Only a few of those ever go in studio and onto the album. Just write it and when you get to the point of gigs and/or and album/EP you can decide which ones you think are the absolute best of the lot and use those.
Defective Elector

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:37:31 AM »
Sad songs or bittersweet songs are the best

Bet if everyone wrote down their 10 favourite songs the majority would have around 8 sad songs

Although 87% of all stats are made up on the spot  ???

Keep doing what your doing Habitat ;D

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 12:47:31 PM »
Good points there guys, thanks. It just got me concerned that I'm writing too much negative stuff. I wouldn't want you forumites to see I've posted a new song for review and think "oh no, not another dreary song from him", and start avoiding me  :D

It may just be a phase, what with winter approaching and all the horrible stuff on the news.

Bo Rhap is the best sad song ever! I need to write something like that methinks :)

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »
Hi Habitat,

I have had the exact same problem so thanks for posting this because it has made me feel more comfortable about the way and what I write.

Occasionally something cheerful will spring forth but not often. ;D  It doesn't matter, eventually and hopefully I will write a really great sad song so out of all the songs I have written that are sad they are just practice for 'the one'.  And that is how I am going to approach it.  This is a revelation for me!

Tone, it is so true what you say. I am constantly searching for some approval from my family and I don't get it, they just don't really like my music (apart from my mum and she has to  ;D) So this is not uncommon?! Well that's made me feel better too! Oh I'm not really egotistical, but when I'm playing stuff and no one is interested I think 'well that's a load of crap then, back to the drawing board' From now on I shall ignore them too!  ::)

Thanks everyone and especially Habitat!
x

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »
 For what it's worth....Try and stay away from minor chords, keep it upbeat/fast tempo. And pick a subject where it's impossible to be unhappy about.. like winning the lottery or PIES.... ;D ;D ;D
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:53 PM »
Hi Habitat,

I have had the exact same problem so thanks for posting this because it has made me feel more comfortable about the way and what I write.

Occasionally something cheerful will spring forth but not often. ;D  It doesn't matter, eventually and hopefully I will write a really great sad song so out of all the songs I have written that are sad they are just practice for 'the one'.  And that is how I am going to approach it.  This is a revelation for me!

Tone, it is so true what you say. I am constantly searching for some approval from my family and I don't get it, they just don't really like my music (apart from my mum and she has to  ;D) So this is not uncommon?! Well that's made me feel better too! Oh I'm not really egotistical, but when I'm playing stuff and no one is interested I think 'well that's a load of crap then, back to the drawing board' From now on I shall ignore them too!  ::)

Thanks everyone and especially Habitat!
x

Ah no worries Flossie, it's good to know I'm not alone in this. :) I guess the search for some kind of approval or recognition is a big driving force for a lot of us. I've found my audience with this forum. You guys will say if it's good, say if it's not, and are always there to offer guidance either way.

For what it's worth....Try and stay away from minor chords, keep it upbeat/fast tempo. And pick a subject where it's impossible to be unhappy about.. like winning the lottery or PIES.... ;D ;D ;D

PIES...of course, pies are the answer  :D :D :D :D

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »
There ya go...see, happy already ;D ;D...go write a song ;D ;D
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Dutchbeat

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »
most so-called "depressing" or sad songs are in fact very uplifting IMO
i mean, most of them have an edge of hope somewhere
you know,
light at the end of the tunnel kind of feeling
why would you anyone bother to come up with, and record a song
when all hope really is gone?
that would make no sense

Habitat, listen to Binladeda...or Dutchbeat
just go on writing the music that comes natural to you

simply because you are very good at it!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »
I think this is a common issue (note I do not use the word "problem") for those thst play and sing with a single instrument (e.g. guitar and piano)

IMHO "happy" songs are often "born" from the groove of a track - eg a lively drum track/loop followed by a bass to really fix the groove

THEN add the chords and melody to give yourself a different "feel" to a "guitar & vocal" track

General advice would be to up the tempo a bit - ie 110bpm+ and avoid writing in minor keys, use the minor chords to add contrast interest

Keep melodies "light" and quick

Like him or hate him Ed Sheeran has some good examples of "happy/sad" tracks with just a guitar - especially live performances

Look some up on YouTube (especially if you generally don't like his stuff) to see what he does to keep the tracks interesting with the melodies

Finally, if you aren't familiar with them I would recommend looking up Major 7th chords - they have this lovely "happy jazzy" sound to them that will take you in the direction you are looking for

They are best used on the I (1st - root chord - EG in the key of C Major play C Major 7) and the IV (4th chord eg F Major 7)

If you find the right chord shapes playing in the key of A Major with just A Major 7 and D Major 7 sounds particularly sweet on acoustic guitar
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »
Id say  its easier to write a load of tosh with  major 7ths than any other chords
they are very pretty chords but they have a twee ness about them...as boydie says thay are sort of happy jazzy chords & some great songs have been written with them but its so easy to write something so saccharine sweet youll want to squeeze a lemon in your ears
I wont have them in my house but then im a rock chick! they might be just what you need but keep a lemon handy! ;D

as for wanting my familys approval
 when I was young all I wanted was there disproval...if they liked my music  id take that as a  sign it was bad & old & fuddy duddy & not outrageous enuff
when I came back to music after 15  years being a full time mum I was older & felt quite different
& when I got together with some friends as death by guitar & made a album & sent it to all my family & friends & it was totally ignored ...i was so upset I gave up again for a year & made videos instead for the songs just for something else to do
now those videos got loads of attention & got us back to doing more music
now why they could say the videos were great but ignore the songs I have nevr quite worked out? :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 04:39:17 PM »
Good point TINA - Major 7ths need to be treated with caution but mixed up with some minors should push you in the right direction (keep a lemon handy though, just in case!)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic