konalavadome

I'm Taking Sugar With My Love - Novelty country

• 17 Replies

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:01:38 PM »

Hi

This is a real sugary song. I don't know what made me write it, but I did and couldn't resist the riddle-like words. I think I over-used the idea but I have only just listened to it after a long break and really forgotten about it. :)
                                          https://soundcloud.com/marrianna-h

I'm Taking Sugar With My Love

v1
I'm taking sugar with my love
To take the bitter hurt away
It hurts so bad to lose
I lost my love today

v2
I need some sugar with my love
To take away the pain
Honey - be my cup of tea
Need your sweet, sweet love again

chorus
Your kiss is oh, so sweet
Feels so good when you hold me tight
And it's luck we happened to meet
Give me sweet, sweet love tonight

v3
That's all I need to do
'Cos I'm sweet on someone sweeter
Than the sweet love I once knew

Bridge (2nd chorus)
Sweet, sweet love
Sweet, sweet Baby
Give me, give me sweet, sweet love
Sweet, sweet love
Sweet, sweet Baby
Give me, give me sweet sweet love

chorus
Your kiss is oh, so sweet
Feels so good when you hold me tight
And it's luck we happened to meet
Give me sweet, sweet love tonight

That's all I need to do
'Cos I'm sweet on someone sweeter
Than the sweet love I once knew

outro
Sweet, sweet love
Sweet, sweet Baby
Sweet, sweet love
Sweet, sweet Baby

Copyright - words and music Marrianna
Respectfully, permission should be asked for to use any of this work.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:03:23 PM by Marrianna »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:55:50 PM »
I told you I like sugary.  I loved this.  My first exposure to professionally played music was late fifties, early sixties country music on an am radio. 

This song would have fitted right in with what was being played then.  It's more genuinely "country" to my ears than anything I listen to on the country stations right now. 

Even your vocalist fits right in with that era's country sound.  Perfect. 

Can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect this will garner more positive comments than you are currently expecting.   I REALLY liked it.     
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:00:36 AM »
I told you I like sugary.  I loved this.  My first exposure to professionally played music was late fifties, early sixties country music on an am radio. 

This song would have fitted right in with what was being played then.  It's more genuinely "country" to my ears than anything I listen to on the country stations right now. 

Even your vocalist fits right in with that era's country sound.  Perfect. 

Can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect this will garner more positive comments than you are currently expecting.   I REALLY liked it.     

Verlon

Thankyou for that ... it was a big surprise and ..dare I say it ...

very sweet of you ;D :)

It means a lot that you like it.

:)Marrianna :)

sundaysongsmiths

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »
Hi Marrianna,
Just listened to your song and think it's old school country vibe is really charming. Definitely makes you smile. And it sounds well put together. Given that, this may sound odd but I don't get the title and it's not in the chorus (which is a prime spot for titles) or the bridge, which I think is the catchiest part of the song.  So maybe the bridge should be the chorus and the title should be Sweet Sweet Love?  But then again, I'm from New York, so what the heck to I know about country.
Regards,
Jay

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 09:07:18 PM »
Hi Jay,

Thankyou for that about the title etc. I've absolutely taken Your points on board because they make so much sense. I was getting confused myself about the format. :)
The title would be great With your suggestion Sweet, Sweet Love. It was just the novelty aspect about the sugar which led me to use the title I did but will certainly think about changing it. Thankyou again.

Marrianna :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:04:31 PM »
Nothing wrong with this song, lyrics are fine..it is what it is, a nice sweet love song, you shouldn't worry about whether lyrics are ''too this'' or ''too that'' just take a listen to a few successful songs out there...

why is this a demo?
seems finished to me :) :)

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
Nothing wrong with this song, lyrics are fine..it is what it is, a nice sweet love song, you shouldn't worry about whether lyrics are ''too this'' or ''too that'' just take a listen to a few successful songs out there...

why is this a demo?
seems finished to me :) :)

best, Kevin

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your comment and question ....

Reply  ... I call it a demo because it hasn't been commercially released (as far as I know). I keep in mind there may be changes made before that happened and so I still think of it it as a demo. :)

Thankyou for listening.

Marrianna

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 11:48:19 AM »
Scuse my ''thickness'' but I don't quite understand when you say ''as far as I know'' regarding it's commercial release,..this is your original song..is it not.. :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 01:09:03 PM »
Hi Kevin,

I don't think you are being 'thick'  ;D

Yes, it is my original song, words, music and recording.

Something can be released abroad and we may not know.

I know from experience that this can happen.

Marrianna  :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
Oh, your saying it's possible somebody may have stolen your song and released it in another country :?

I'm sure this is possible,glad I've got a good lawyer.. :) :)

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »
No, I 'm not saying songs can be stolen and released (they could though?).  :o

There can be circumstances where a writer may not be aware that a work has been released if it has taken place abroad or even here. If a writer is treated as well as to be expected, they will be told
but will likely have to wait for any royalties etc.

Marrianna  :)

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 05:58:02 PM »
Nice wee number. Got a touch of Willie Nelson in the vocal! It moves along really nicely - the bass moves it along effortlessly and at a great ace. The drums are perfect IMHO - they are here in the mix and make a contribution but they don't detract from everything else. Perfect sweet sot for them in the mix. I felt a bit of banjo or mandolin might have added something to this rather than the brief piano solo.

This has a nice country feel to it which is great cos I prefer that to modern country. It reminds me of old style country but IMHO its fairly far removed from the commercial stuff that passes for country in Nashville these days. I could imagine this fitting in seamlessly to the Irish/UK country scene (ie Phil Mack show) though.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 02:17:57 AM »
I could imagine this fitting in seamlessly to the Irish/UK country scene (ie Phil Mack show) though.

Interestingly enough, some of the best "old timey sounding" country music groups I know of are from NORWAY of all places. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 11:41:13 AM »
I could imagine this fitting in seamlessly to the Irish/UK country scene (ie Phil Mack show) though.

Interestingly enough, some of the best "old timey sounding" country music groups I know of are from NORWAY of all places. 

That is quite interesting. Wouldn't assume such tastes would correlate with the Nordic folk. I have come across a few Dutch bands that do decent enough old timely country but yet to encounter any Norwegian ones.

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 01:36:26 PM »

Hi Verlon
I have never thought of Norway being a country interested in country (old-style) music! Amazing.
Marrianna :)