• 53 Replies

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
I can't pretend to know about the songs from any of those artists except Ellie Goulding (who I like a lot), but if it's a female songwriter you're after, check out Carole King! Damn, she can write a tune :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »
carole king is a legend ....love all those hits she wrote before her solo career ...have always loved tapestry & stuff with james taylor...awesome :)
kate bush was realy special aswell
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »
Oh yeah! I love Kate Bush! December will be magic again is one of my favourite songs :D

Good call, Tina :)

New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2013, 10:23:59 PM »
ENOUGH OF THE MEN ;D
I think we should take a moment to appreciate Bonnie Mckee.
(Cowrites on all Katy Perry's hits, as well as writing with/for Taio Cruz, Rita Ora, Kelly Clarkson, Ellie Goulding, Ke$ha, Britney Spears, the list goes on...)

I've always been baffled as to why Bonnie McKee who is a songwriting Goddess has always written for others. She is incredible attractive ergo n music industry parlance she is marketable and I think she has her own album coming out shortly. She has written so many hits for others that now her album is coming out I was kinda thinking 'well why didn't you keep those hits for yourself?'. My knowledge on Bonnie McKee is admittedly incredibly limited but Jess is practically stalking her so I'm hoping Jess can set me straight ;)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2013, 12:17:44 AM »
The first concert I went to was James Taylor who played with and was supported by Carol King at the City Hall in Glasgow when I was a kid. Sweet Bay James, In my mind I'm going to Carolina, You've got a friend, Fire and rain etc. Fantastic songs and performances. Ah memories :) A great live singing voice only surpassed by the diminutive purple one, Prince.
Jamie

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 04:33:07 PM »
I've always been baffled as to why Bonnie McKee who is a songwriting Goddess has always written for others. She is incredible attractive ergo n music industry parlance she is marketable and I think she has her own album coming out shortly. She has written so many hits for others that now her album is coming out I was kinda thinking 'well why didn't you keep those hits for yourself?'. My knowledge on Bonnie McKee is admittedly incredibly limited but Jess is practically stalking her so I'm hoping Jess can set me straight ;)
Yes, she's such an amazing artist, her first solo album was great and she's currently releasing some more contemporary material, for her album released next year. She said she was going to keep Teenage Dream to herself, but I guess they thought Katy Perry having already 'got her big break' would sell more records.
I don't know, I just LOVE BM!
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Gallowglass

• Solo Gig
  • Dime Store Saint
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »
Brian Fallon can write circles around most contemporary artists. Blue Dahlia and Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis? are too particularly good examples. Trouble is, he re-uses the same metaphors over and over and over again, and isn't that adventurous in his themes. I know he's relating his own life, but, still, a new take or extended metaphor here or there wouldn't go amiss.

As for me, I got into songwriting purely because I have a competitive streak. I see someone like Brian Fallon writing amazing lyrics and automatically want to top it. Not achieved that aim yet, but I've got a band going and hopefully I'll get to meet him personally and ask how it's done.
Band recommendation of the week: Fit For Rivals? False. Renee Phoenix has no rivals.

'She can still hear the Rebel Yell just as loud as it was in 1983' - Thrash Unreal, Against Me!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2013, 09:15:08 PM »
I started writing because i was starting to get loads of injuries playing cricket - seemed age had caught up with me.
Thought it would help keep the mind active - now i find i can't sleep because i have songwriting stuff rattling through my head all the time.
The added bonus is that i get to to torture my wife with my horrible wailing and loud guitars.
The real bonus is I've made some great friends through it.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
The added bonus is that i get to to torture my wife
...no comment... ;D ;D ;D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle