Vocal Lessons

• 45 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: March 13, 2016, 01:03:05 PM »
Hello

I'm still having lots of trouble with my voice...so I've taken the plunge, overcome my embarrassment and started going to a vocal coach...as recommended by the speech therapist I was referred to a while back...I had the first introductory lesson on Wednesday.

I don't expect they can work miracles, but I shall give it my best shot.

I'll post my progress on here if anyone is interested...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »
I am interested. Are you allowed to report what kinds of exercises your coach gives you? I have my own that I have started doing every day very recently, but I'm always curious about what other people do.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 01:26:58 PM »
Hi Vicki...I'll be happy to pass on the stuff I'm given to work on...

I've looked at a lot of free stuff on the Internet, too...from people like Roger Burnley and Felicia Ricci...both of whom I've found quite helpful...just feel that I need to see an expert face to face.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 01:29:56 PM »
I'm hugely interested. I thought about taking the plunge, too. In fact I was going to join Jeannie Deva's online school as I'm a big fan of the Artistwork's platform and have taken many guitar lessons there. But alas Jeannie tragically passed away a few months ago.

I'm currently doing some of Roger Love's exercises (Goog's and Gug's, No's and Nay's, and so on) on my hour and a half commute. It definitely helps but I need more guidance. I know my breathings is pretty poor and my intonation is awful. I looked at a few other online lessons/schools but they all seemed to be focussed on rock.

Be really interesting to follow your experience here.

Cheers
D
West Country Country Boy

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 01:35:53 PM »
there are loads of very good vocal coaches on youtube.. :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 01:37:35 PM »
Cheers, Derek...

I'd be very happy if she could get me to sound anywhere near as good as you.

I will post my progress - or the lack thereof ;)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 01:40:21 PM »
There are, Kevin...loads of good tips...I've tried tons of them...but I'm still a bit rubbish!

Singing always makes me feel like Albert Steptoe at a Chippendales audition.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 02:00:54 PM »
An important thing I learned was to sing in your own style don't try and be a singer like watsisname or watsername..we're all stuck with what we've got so just learn to let loose and open your gob when singing, for me ( being a Northern git) just the art of pronouncing the damn lyrics is a mojor operation..see what I mean, I can't even say major ??? ???

good luck mate..

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »
Actually Paul, I think you vocals are great anyway and really suit your style. I will be very interested in your progress anyway. Keep us posted  :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 05:49:06 PM »
Albert Steptoe at a Chippendales audition.
quite an imagine that.
I need to take the plunge and I do feel confident enough, that I'm starting to at least to understand some components ( conciously incompetent ) that it would be worth it. Apart from anything else if they could stop me straining my throat so I could sing more often that would be a result.
Good post and good luck
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 10:37:27 PM »
With a voice like mine I'd definitely like an update.

Keith

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 03:23:33 AM »
I suppose, after only three sessions (assuming one a week), it's too soon to ask how it's going? I've been wondering....

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 07:13:34 AM »
Hi Vicki

Thanks for taking an interest...it's going ok...I'm not under any illusions about my prospects...there are physiological issues with my voice that are making progress difficult, but I'm going to persevere.

I know I'm overly sensitive about it...because I know how difficult it is for me to record a decent vocal (four or five takes and comping a still-disappointing single track from those) but it's got to the stage where I don't even want to record vocals any more...I've used a guy on Fiverr to sing some of my songs and much prefer to do that rather than to take criticism over something I can't try any harder with or do any better at.

Some folks here have been very supportive for which I'm very grateful, but some haven't. I would never have joined a songSINGERS forum...I don't see much point in telling someone they sing like they're trying to sound like someone else, or to try to find their own voice, or obviously the vocals aren't great or they can't decide if the vocal is irritating or not...

I'm plugging away, but my pessimism is the only thing that ever seems to be in fine voice.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 08:29:25 AM »
Some folks here have been very supportive for which I'm very grateful, but some haven't. I would never have joined a songSINGERS forum...I don't see much point in telling someone they sing like they're trying to sound like someone else, or to try to find their own voice, or obviously the vocals aren't great or they can't decide if the vocal is irritating or not...

Please please please do not let this put you off posting your songs

When you post a song with your own vocals simply put in your original post that you are NOT looking for feedback on the vocals and that you have simply recorded a "scratch vocal" to get the song across and that you want feedback on the lyrics, melody, chords etc.

This will help you get valuable feedback on the song BEFORE you spend money on another singer

I don't recall any particular issues on your vocals so this advice is just generic based on what you have said here
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 09:17:49 AM »
Paul - it's all about the songs - I am in the same or even more leaky boat as you and I only do vocals because I enjoy learning about the recording process and because I believe it's the best way to demo how I think my own song should be delivered.

For what it's worth I've never agreed with those comments about your vocals; and if that is what people are focusing on rather than the song content then they seem to be missing the point.