The Courage To Choose

• 9 Replies

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« on: September 10, 2014, 12:24:46 PM »
HI,

I am new here, so posting my very first song. It's a song about direction and choice. I would be interested in any feedback.

Here's the link ....

https://soundcloud.com/kevin-ism/the-courage-to-choose

And here's the lyrics ...

THE COURAGE TO CHOOSE

When all the time you've had is broken
And the courage you feel
Has nowhere to turn
That's when you need to choose
That's when you need to choose

Chorus 1:

And if this time it's just meaning less
Just keep your finger on the pulse
The courage to choose

No one will blame you if you keep on searching
And the courage you feel
Will just run and run
Searching is all there is
Searching is all there is

Chorus 1:

When all the time you've had is over
There'll be no choices to make
No choices to make

Chorus 2:

And if you life is just meaning less
Just keep you finger on the pulse
The courage to choose

Jane99

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 05:13:44 PM »
Hi:)
Firsteval welcome to this forum :)
I like the lyrics! and if this is your first song it is great.
but for the record i think your voice should be louder;) but i have the same problem sometimes so never mind, maybe for the next time you could try to sing louder;)
the next thing is i think the music doesn't fit with the lyrics. but thta's just me !
Keep doing what you do! :)

Graemepryce

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »
Very cool guitars in this! I like a nice fat sound like that without too much brash electric strumming. Excellent opening to it.

Not sold on the lyrics and vocal really. I think that is more of a personal taste thing though? Like someone else said, the vocals sound a bit disjointed. That might be what you're going for though so if so it worked.

It seems to end very abruptly too, giving it more of a demo feel than a complete piece.

Definitely going in the right direction there though.  :)

Michael Christoph

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:08:14 PM »
Interesting song, I like the use of "meaning less" as opposed to "meaningless" which is what I thought you were singing before I looked at the lyrics.

The vocals won't be everyones cup of tea but I think that's just your style. The song has a good intro, the drums wore me out a bit by the end though, I wished they flowed a bit more in places. 

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:23:51 PM »
Hello kevysc, and warm welcome to the forum.

I really enjoyed your song. The vocal i liked a lot - yeah it was my cup of tea.

I also didn't love the drums. I'm no good at identifying bits out of drum kits, but it's that trebley rat-a-tat part that didn't work for me - it got slightly annoying.

There was nothing else i didn't like though.

I really like how the song was led by the vocal, interspersed with the cool drum breakdowns for the choruses.

Enjoy the forum!

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 08:51:27 AM »
Interesting song, I like the use of "meaning less" as opposed to "meaningless" which is what I thought you were singing before I looked at the lyrics.

The vocals won't be everyones cup of tea but I think that's just your style. The song has a good intro, the drums wore me out a bit by the end though, I wished they flowed a bit more in places. 

The "meaning less" is a deliberate play on words, as both "meanings" ( if you will pardon the pun) have relevance. I tend to like ambiguity / word play as I think it adds richness ...

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »
I enjoyed this one, for some reason Alive and Kicking by Simple Minds comes to mind, don't know why. However I also has some suggestions, highly personal of course. So, if this was my own song I'd do the following:
- start the song much softer and building it up more and more so the last part is even more intense than any part of the current arrangement. I think this song is begging to end in a great larger-than-lfe crescendo very much like Alive and Kicking
- shorten the time between the last phrase of the vers and the chorus or add some element there to build up to the chorus
- Extend the chorus i.e. drop the guitar part directly after the chorus and rephrase "the courage to chose" insted, maybe once or twice, the two lines before it really does not give a sense of chorus IMHO.
- In my opinion the hihat is to high in the mix to the point where it gets annoying. Also, they cymbals right before "the courage to choses" are are way to high and could probably do with some eq as well. Now I percieve them as very "metallic".
I'm afraid that sounded very negative but that was not the intention, as I said, only my personal opinions. And I really dig your voice, best part of the song if you ask me!
BR
/Johan

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
Hi, I thought I had reviewed one of your songs before, I must be losing it! The vocals reminded me in parts of David Bowie and in other places of a Scottish singer whose name I can't recall but he sang a song called party fears too, it's a classic. Liked the guitar tones. Plus one to the comments on the drums.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

retrononomusic

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
Hey!

You have stolen Bowie's voice! :-)
I really like your voice indeed.

I just feel that the drums are too loud and somehow unfit to the song.
Anyway, you have a great tune, with a strong chorus.

Nice!

Nono.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »
Also hearing the Bowie. And the room heavy drum is also nudging my ear that way. These are not bad things!! 

I like the way you leave space between the melody lines. Great sparse chord playing too. All remind me again of 70/80s Bowie.

The production is very clear, lots of room for each instrument. It is a little dated in sound colourations, but it totally works for the style you have here.

Great first song posting, I look forward to hearing more :)

JNx
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk