konalavadome

The Constant Fire

• 10 Replies

Kafla

« on: August 13, 2011, 05:56:46 PM »
http://soundcloud.com/andrewcruse/test

Manged to get some time today to test out my new mic and Music Maker 6. It was reduced from £199 to £55 but I am quite impressed with it. Rather than test and old song I decided to write and record a new one and I have bashed this out in a few hours.

I know the vocals are still not right and there a few improvisations on the instrumental track but I just wanted to share this.

I suppose the big question to all you pros is does this sound better than the ipad recordings and vocals?

Enjoy your Saturday night  ;D

The Constant Fire

You with the heavy heart
 You with the knock out eyes
 Your technicolor life
 Your not fooling me

I want to take you out, polish up those eyes
 Everything's so messed up
 They're coming round again

I know it burns : the constant fire
 I want to do enough to make a difference

I want to show you love that never bends
 Everything's so messed up
 On the cross again
 They're coming round again

Higher and higher and higher and higher ( here come the blues)

I know it burns : the constant fire
 I want to do enough to make a difference
 Give me a chance to make a difference

http://soundcloud.com/andrewcruse/test

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 08:38:09 AM »
Hi Kafla,

I can see that you are on a real journey of discovery, both with the new equipment that you're using and the new writing ideas that you appear to be finding with ease.  This is a good solid tune once again.  The recording of vocal is greatly improved and there are some great musical ideas going on here Kafla.  I get the impression that you have really thrown yourself into writing lately and are reaping the benefits.  I'm sure there will be many more great songs along the way and that you will surprise yourself at the level of writing skill that you will achieve.  I love the outro too!

Paul

Kafla

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »
Thanks for reviewing Pablo

I am loving it just now, it's a real journey but paradoxically I have a longing to record & write some bare songs with acoustic guitar

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »
Excellent song Kafla, very tight production there, the lyrics are really good and maturing with every song
Learner guitarist

Dutchbeat

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:41:49 PM »
Great Kafla,

I love the strings and the vocals (and the song)
that higher, higher part is excellent

but still some comments, always something to comment on, but not on the vocals, but the music sounds 'automated' (look who is talking)
I think especially that pom-pom-pom, constant one note bass line is doing a lof of that
just a thought, but I think when you could get some sort of rythm or groove in the bass line, just a bit of groove, that would be an addition
I think

But hats off and thumbs up for your new song!

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 08:40:40 AM »
hi kafla,

i think not only the quality is improving but also the singing itself. the first time i hear your songs it al was a little shaky and now you sing with more confidence, at least thats the way i see it. i like the song, nice pianopart there. the strings a little to slow imo, great chorus that sticks.

gr.  Dan 

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:06:49 AM »
Hi Kafla,

I just wanted to tell you that I can't believe the progress you're making.  Just shows what you can achieve with determination and commitment.  The production and particularly your vocals sound so much better with your new gear as well.

Your voice is very distinctive it has a great one and I really enjoyed listening to your new song.  The verse is really strong and the accompanying bass line really hooky, I'd just like the chorus to shout out more 'this is the chorus!' if you know what I mean. 

I look forward to hearing your next creation...Well done

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
Thanks for all your feedback guys!

DB - I like how you always pick something I can improve , it makes me want to keep on improving. I am hoping one day to get everything perfect and you will keep me on my toes until that day my friend.  ;)The ironic thing about the base is that it was exactly the sound I wanted, i wanted it to bob along and not distract from the piano and melody but I can see exactly where you are coming from. At the moment I spend the least time on drums and base and in future I will develop this more.

CD - Confidence is a strange thing with vocals. I know exactly what you mean Cheff - I think singing a song reasonably well  and safe is one thing but I am now trying to put some style and personality on the vocals and thats where I am feeling more confident. You are really good at this.

Floss - I wrote songs in a band that where all building up to a big chorus but I a trying to be a little more low key. I am trying really hard to get my songs down to around 3 mins, arranging things differently to create a little space in the recordings. I think this is a product of previously writing songs that used to go on forever ;D I was going to change the chorus and make it bigger but I got too used to it and couldn't change it ( does this ever happen to you?) The lines I know it burns, the constant fire, I want to do enough to make a difference became the hook and theme of the song for me.

Thanks for all your comments and encouragement which unfortunately is a double edged sword as the pressures now on to create another ??? song

ric

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 02:05:55 AM »
this is a solid song - i think it could use some more embellishment in the instrumental parts but i really dig the multi-layered effect by way of the synthesiser, midi i guess? yes the percussion is a bit predictable but on the whole it's a firm foundation to work from. the voice is good, has character.

Ric

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:28:46 AM »
Really enjoyed this, I love the vocals!

I'm more of a producer than a songwriter so I can't offer much advice, but it would be nice to hear more variation within the drums, perhaps a little less quantising so it has more of a swing to it to match your vocals.

But that really is a very minor point, it's a great song, the lyrics are lovely and the piano also. Looking forward to hearing more of your music!

Kafla

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
Good to get some new reviewers! ;D

Agree with the drums Ric, I see them as a necessary evil and need to get the finger out, problem is I really enjoy the melodic stuff and I just got an m audio axiom keyboard so I am having fun with it!

Glad you liked it White Rabbit - loving Circles! :)