konalavadome

Everyone knows - collab with Katie Wilson

• 9 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 04, 2021, 10:44:23 PM »

Hi,

Here's a tune written to Katie's powerful lyrics about coming out to the family as transgender.
I wanted this to be an upbeat and positive, a more modern sounding pop tune. I wrote and recorded everything on GarageBand on my iPhone - apart from my vocals.

Anyway enough talking I hope you enjoy it and look forward your feedback.

:-) neil

https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/everybody-knows-master-4-march-2021

Can’t you see, that now I’m free
Something has changed, deep inside
You can’t believe I’m somebody new
And all of my tears have started to dry

Can’t you, can’t you see?
How come you’re so blind?
I guess you see what you you want to
Look harder you will find

What everybody knows
Everyone can see
And everybody knows  - that I’m free

After living shut away, for all my life
My heart is now at home
No more hiding, my stock is rising             
And now that my cover’s blown

What everybody knows
Everyone can see
And everybody knows - that   I am me

Break

What everybody knows
Everyone can see
And everybody knows - that I’m free

What everybody knows
Everyone can see
And everybody knows - that I’m me

c wilson/connor 2021

songwriter of no repute..

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 01:52:18 PM »
@Neil C

Hi Neil, I'm so pleased that the whole LGBTQ thing is being recognised and discussed more and more. It's a change for the better. Like what you've done with the song, the upbeat approach nicely frames the lyric. Liked the strings especially! Nicely put together and sung Neil!

Cheers

Jamie

The Holographic Rodeo

• Open Mic
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 08:51:08 PM »
Its amazing what you can do on an iPhone these days! Subtly well-crafted melody you've got going there and I think you've achieved the upbeat sound that you were looking for, which is a great fit to the lyrics :)

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 12:03:48 AM »
Amazing recording quality for using a phone, wow!

Great upbeat tune and an uplifting message. Your vocal ( as always) reminds me, somewhat appropriately, of Tom Robinson!

Nice job,

Kevin

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 06:44:01 PM »
Starts off with a brilliant string section. I wondered if it would have been possible or desirable to transition (no pun intended) from that into the main song intro? Just a thought.

A very good modern pop song with a great set of lyrics. Key change was pretty bold I thought! Really super playing and careful arrangement..as is Neil's forte.

I'm not so sure about the whole LGBT thing...not on a practical level, you understand. But I do worry that it's still an extraordinarily difficult thing to successfully manage to do. I hope Katie is doing OK...she seemed to struggle with it a lot and disappeared quite a while back. I admire anyone who thinks that a brave new world is emerging, where people who might previously have been treated cruelly, will, henceforth, be treated with love and respect. I think the human race has just as many horrible bigoted twats as it ever had...possibly more...and that they've simply decided it's more expedient to keep their heads down for the time being...and they're quite possibly also building up a lot of hatred on the inside whilst feeling compelled to generally keep their gobs shut.

Anyway...LBGT, etc...it's on the up and it doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon...so the haters are going to have to get used to it. It doesn't look like the human being count is in anything like decline...so I wouldn't have thought we have to worry on that score either...unless some former purveyors of shit operating systems are as bonkers as they appear to be...or that the Georgia Guidestones weren't just carved and erected for a giggle...or that a whole movement of powerful people would really hate to see a massive reduction in the number of "useless eaters" occupying otherwise valuable potential real estate on Planet E£a$r€t$h£.

I feel a bit funny now...going to have a lie down...with one eye open, of course  ;)

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 08:44:25 PM »
I grabbed my first listen to this after our Friday chat @Neil C I love what you've done with a more modern pop sounding song. Great vocals fro Katie and a lovely melodic pop sound. I love that deep synth bass. Excellent stuff  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 08:27:50 AM »
@Neil C - Very nice poptastic song, Katies lyrics always hit the spot, driven by passion, so nice chordal movements. What it needs is the LVox reamped from a WEM....Don't suppose you've got one?

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 11:57:33 AM »
@Neil C Lovely to hear you using the wonders of garage band so effectively. I think your interpretation of Katie's lyrics is beautifully done. Your chord sequences marry up to such a lovely melody and your singing is perfectly judged. This is a very likable, easy on the ear song and I mean that in the best possible way. Reminds me I must use garage band more!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 12:17:24 PM »
Hi Neil - great pop vibe here and also plenty of space in the verses. I think I would shorten the intro to just the strings and go straight into the verse. Also there is a cool "hic" percussion sound that comes in every now and then - I'd use that a bit more sparingly as it loses impact if it comes too often.
Regards to Katie, it's a really good lyric which could apply to overcoming many oppressive situations, very nice to hear it in this dancy form.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 07:51:34 PM »
@adamfarr - "great pop vibe" cheers. You point about editing the strings is one I considered, bring the strings to the intro was a last minute decision, the 'hit' is kind of embedded somewhere in GarageBand rhyme box so that might be a tad tricky

@montydog - Alan thanks for your feedback "I think your interpretation of Katie's lyrics is beautifully done. Your chord sequences marry up to such a lovely melody and your singing is perfectly judged" GarageBand is a useful tool to get out of routine or field recordings..

@cowparsleyman - "poptastic song, Katies lyrics always hit the spot, driven by passion, so nice chordal movements" and no WEM's were harmed in the songs making thanks!

@pompeyjazz - "I love what you've done with a more modern pop sounding" and " that deep synth bass" Thanks a lot

@PaulAds - hope you've recovered from FAWM and your little excursion and cheers for the comments "A very good modern pop song with a great set of lyrics"

@kevysc - appreciate the comment "Great upbeat tune and an uplifting message" and as for reminding about Tom, I can hear that a bit. I remember singing Glad to be Gay at High Wycombe town hall in 1978 I think..

@The Holographic Rodeo - "Subtly well-crafted melody" cheers for that

@Jamie - neat feedback thanks, and glad you like the strings and vocals, they took a while...
songwriter of no repute..