konalavadome

Who's your Song Writing Guru?

• 133 Replies

RoisinFiona

• Busker
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
@Roisin if we're talking lyrics here then I can't stand by without mentioning Tom Waits. Love or hate his vocal style he stands out a mile when it comes to lyrics. In my book, only Paul Simon can come close.

Thanks, I will give them a listen. I have know a little of Tom Waits but I really like what I have heard. Always useful to have a "way in" when starting to listen to an artist with such a huge catalogue of work!

lauriewood95

• Busker
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »
I'm not sure, but my biggest song writing influences are probably Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie.

I love the simplicity of Guthrie,
I love the advanced nature of Dylan,

yet they're still doing very similar things. They are what I aspire to.

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »
Two great choices!

Louis

• Busker
  • I make shit happen call me a laxative
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2013, 10:04:40 AM »
Ed Sheeran without a doubt! I love the thought and emotion he puts into his songs and I really look up to him!

Thomas Frederick

• Busker
    • Spotify
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »
I love Marina Diamandis' lyrics a LOT, and I agree with what others have said about P!nk.

I also like (to name a few) Florence Welch, Stefani Germanotta, LIGHTS, Caroline Polachek, Lily Allen, Robyn, Adam Young, Victoria Hesketh, and The Sounds' respective lyrical styles.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2013, 01:44:05 AM »
The single biggest influence on my writing has been Burton Cummings. I came across this video today of him sitting and talking at his old 'magic piano' with which he has written hundreds of songs. He gives a snap shot of dozens of them as he talks about its history and some of the stories of his past. Its worth a look, especially for those of you who have never heard of him, have you have heard of him then its a must see.

http://youtu.be/NAnfSeuUfHM

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2013, 12:17:13 AM »
I concur completely with JN and Boydie regarding P!NK. She is one hell of a songwriter and performer and it's not very often modern type artists can successfully come up with something 'new' every time yet for me P!NK does this. Blow me and Just give me a reason being her two biggest hits of late (Try was good but didn't get anywhere near the coverage of the two mentioned) and they are so dissimilar in style, tone, performance etc

I'm going to give a shout out for fellow countryman Phil Coulter. He mightn't have wrote any major hits lately but he has an enviable record. His defining track was Town I loved so well written about the injustice in his native Derry. There is not a pub in the whole of Ireland or indeed any Irish bar worth it's salt abroad that doesn't have it on the jukebox.

Apart from this Phil also wrote Shang-a-lang and a number of other hits for the Bay City Rollers as well as Congratulations for Cliff Richard. Like I said about P!NK Phil has the ability to write serious songs about conflict, oppression etc (Derry Lullaby, Free the People, Sergeant Where's mine) and then knock out hits for the Bay City Rollers. Genius at work IMHO :)

Didn't Phil Coulter co-write My Boy for Elvis Presley? Wonderful song brilliantly performed.

Kevin j

• Solo Gig
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2013, 12:25:15 AM »
the fray, for how to save a life, one of my favourite songs, and ed sheeran, love his songs and his style
 :)
well, that escalated quickly..
-Anchorman :)

eeyunopper

• Busker
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2013, 02:12:08 PM »
Love the way David Eugene Edwards puts a song together and his delivery.
Also Conor Oberst, especially for Bright Eyes, some beautiful introspective songs.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2013, 12:04:08 AM »

To name but a few............
Lennon and McCartney
Brian Wilson
Page and plant
Neil young
Stephen stills
David Crosby
Peter Gabriel
Robert fripp/Peter sinfield
Paul Simon
Dave grohl
Josh homme
Frank Zappa
Donald fagan
Joni Mitchell
David Bowie

Not an exhaustive list,work in progress!

jamie

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2013, 08:29:48 AM »
Donald Fagan! Good one. Let's not forget Walter Becker though...

Gallowglass

• Solo Gig
  • Dime Store Saint
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »
I keep it simple with only two: Brian Fallon and Amy Lee.

The essence of their lyrics is more similar than they seem, the keyword being frustration, and they both manage to put so much across with so few words.
Band recommendation of the week: Fit For Rivals? False. Renee Phoenix has no rivals.

'She can still hear the Rebel Yell just as loud as it was in 1983' - Thrash Unreal, Against Me!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2013, 12:34:15 AM »

Who do you guys look up to for song writing ability?

Gordon Lightfoot is who I would most like to sound like as a songwriter.  The great Motown songwriting team of Dozier, Holland and Dozier also come to mind as incredible songwriters I'd like to emulate.

Lots of other poeple who I admire... but those are the primaries.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2013, 11:58:50 PM »
I'm adding Bonnie McKee to my list. New life ambition. I want to be Bonnie McKee. Sadly, I don't think they have a course for that. But a girl can dream...
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

PeeJay

• Platinum Album
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2013, 09:25:16 AM »
Charles Aznavour
I don't know what i'm doing but i do it anyway.