Healthy or unhealthy obsession?

• 9 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »
Just looking at Kafla's 'Decisions' thread, he alludes to the fact that he gets deeply immersed in this music lark from time to time, much to the frustration of his partner. (Sorry Kaf, I don't mean to take words out of your mouth  :) ) I also find that I get like this, I'll write something, then get totally obsessed with it until I have worked on it to a level that I'm happy with, much to my wife's dismay sometimes. (it's even worse now I'm getting into making the video's as well  ??? )

I have lots of other commitments, ie work, family etc etc but sometimes, when I'm into a project, I'm SO into it, I tend to bumble around like an absent minded professor (thinking about melodies, lyrics and how this/that should sound, when really I should be concentrating on other things) until I've got it out of my system.

I wish sometimes that I could switch it off but I can't, I enjoy doing it so much but I do feel that occasionally I tend to neglect the important things, ie. real life.. :-\

Is this a character trait of arty folk in general?

Dutchbeat

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:00:58 PM »
 i have an idea that might help, sort of make your partner a band member
in any way (edit: ah, i just realised that i was trying to not mention John and Yoko)

even more time-saving, marry the singer, that is what i did

in that way you really get time to write songs and tweak mixes

sorry,  ::)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:03:07 PM by Dutchbeat »

Kafla

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »
Ha ha DB!

Yes Habi it is a total obsession.

When I left uni I was in a band that we all thought were going places - my parents freaked when I told them I was taking a year out after Uni to focus on music.

I compromised and said that I would give it exactly a year and was very fortunate to get a job after turning down some crackers

But I had a lot of fun in that year ;)

Now when I get into a song it's very hard to consider anything else - sometimes I post songs here just to put a bit of closure - I need to let it go

Most songs I post I had a better mix 4 versions ago - it's so hard knowing when it's finished

Definitely healthy ....for me ;)

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »
My obsession enhances marital life...oo err!

No what I mean is he (im indoors)  has full control of the remote if I am 'in the zone'  and he likes that ..a lot!

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 04:33:50 PM »
It`s not an obsession   but i can`t stop thinking about the next tune. :D

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:25:08 PM »
What a great discussion.   I am very detached from my music.  If I can't get a tune on the piano within 15 minutes, I'll walk away.   Once I have the tune and record it on the iPhone, I then have the horrible task of digitising it and getting it  recorded onto Logic..  I HATE THIS PART !  So, if any of you guys could bottle your passion and sell it to me, then I'll buy it !

Honestly, if I had more interest and passion for the "production" side of music, then i'm sure my songs would be so much better.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »
here is a self-test to assess songwriting-addiction

i developed it a while back, but it is still valid, and more than two yes-answers clearly points to songwriting addiction, you should consider seeking help  ;D ;D ;D

four yes answers is completely-out-of-control songwriting addiction

so here is the free test for further diagnosis of your condition:

Q1 when you are going on a holiday for one week or longer, do you feel an urge to take an instrument of some kind with you?
O Yes   O No   O Luckily I never go on a holiday

Q2 Have you ever thought I really have to go to bed..., as you had to get to work early next day, but thought, ohhhh. let me just finish this recording.... of this one track....and went on and on?
O yes    O no, never happened to me   O happens to me at least once a week

Q3 Have you ever cancelled an appointment or social engagment, making an excuse you had to work, but in fact all you wanted was to make music?

O Yes   O no, I would never do that   O I do that all the time

Q4 Have you ever entered a music store, thinking that you were just going to have a little look at the instruments / equipment, but came home with something expensive?

O yes      O no    O don't want to talk about this

Q5: open question: do you have given  any of your instruments or equipment  a (pet) name? And if so, what is it .........

be honest, ok  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:52:48 PM by Dutchbeat »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
Oh dear, I didn't think I had a problem until taking this test!!!

Q2 - all the time!!!

Q3 - yes

Q1 & 4!!! - this was the clincher for me as I did Q1 and Q2 at the same time!!! I was on holiday near Exeter with the family so the car was obviously pretty packed. Fatally we went into town one day, when I discovered Mansons Guitar Shop. Having played every acoustic in the shop (from £100 to well over £5,000) I absolutely fell in love with a Martin electro acoustic - it was absolutely perfect in both tone and feel and I had a "Waynes World" "I gotta have this guitar" moment! After much deliberation during the holiday I went back to the shop and bought it - luckily I managed to squeeze it in the car to get it home as it would have been awful to leave one of the kids behind  ;D  ;)

Not sure what this scores on the scale - I am using this for therapy now!!!!

Q5 - this made me chuckle, my main guitar (Fender Strat Plus), which I have owned for over 20 years is called "Chip" due to a small chip in the paintwork on the upper horn

So all in all, guilty as charged! :-\
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 10:40:45 AM »
Ah, Manson's Guitar Shop.... It should have a government warning over the shop door, "entering these premises may seriously damage your solvency and your relationships" :)

I used to live in Exeter, Boydie, can you imagine the torment? :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »
Hmm, I only answered yes to Q2

So I'm not obsessed...

BUT

Does collecting instruments count?

I have 2 classical guitars, one steel strung jumbo, a 12 string, a guitalele and a keyboard.

If I had the money and permission I'd have loads more, but the wife wont let me. She doesn't understand and says, "you've already got lots..." in spite of my argument that "this one is different"

:D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:27:35 PM by habiTat »