Trick Of The Light

• 25 Replies

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »
Hi All,

Been on a bit of a roll lately - Seem to be getting a few tunes done. As the mighty Nottingham Forest chose not to reach the play offs i was left with the dilemma of whether to drown my sorrows, or write a new tune. I opted for the song.

This is actually a positive tune (sort of). It's about not being seduced by the trappings of life, not focusing on things that don't really matter. Live in the moment, don't worry about yesterday, or what might or might not be. After all, the clock is ticking.

I've been trying to work on my hooks lately - hopefully this shows them off a little.

Thanks for listening/comments.

Cheers,

Digger

https://soundcloud.com/digger-72/trick-of-the-light

Trick Of The Light

I don't want to sleep
I feel their eyes watching me
I know i can smile
I know what the blind don't see
It's all just fake
Tick. Tock
Round and round
Tick tock. Tick tock
Down and down

Chorus
It's a trick of the light
Just a trick of the light
It's a trick of the light
Just a trick
Just a trick of the light

I don't want to walk
I know they'll run past me
I just want to cry
They're all i want to be
They don't want to speak
(with harmony vox:
Now is life
Today will always be)

Their silence is killing me
An' I can't breathe
The truth will set you free
It's all just fake

Tick tock. Tick tock
Round and round
Tick tock. Tick tock
Down. Down. Down. Down. Down.

Chorus

All you people; lives of fear
All you people; sitting here
All you people; questions posed
All you people; but only i know

Tick tock. Tick tock
Tick tock. Tick tock
Round and round
Tick tock. Tick tock
Down. Down. Down. Down. Down.

Chorus:
(with harmony vocal)
Gotta get a life
Gotta get a life
Gotta get a
Gotta get a
(repeats)

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 08:04:12 PM »
Hi Digger ..

nice song .. I'm not use to it .. it has nice chords progressions ..which I like to try some times ..

You mentioned positive .. I got negative from the music .. maybe its the alternative thing which switched the polarity .. ;D

Cheers ..

terrysains

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:27:52 PM »
"positive tune"? I think I would be shocked  by a negative one!
On reading the words I conjured up a tune in my mind and it wasn't your one.
I felt it was far too slow, dragging like it was on 33 instead of 45 if your as old as me!
Loved the hook, loved the chorus but just couldn't understand the slow pace.
I read a rock song!
Good luck. Terry.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »
 Hey Digger,

Far fkn out man ;D ;D   Loved it.....hooks all over the place ;D   Loved the overall, 'affected/wasted' feel and groove of it all.....I just melted into the sofa ;D ;D
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Dutchbeat

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
deep, down and dark!!!!!!!!

pretty cool yes
still evaluating, but you really dare, digger, respect

very much appreciated this!!!!

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:33:40 AM »
Hey man this is very Pink Floyd like. Lovely stuff - really digging the groove here and the dark melodic lines chosen over a cool chord progression. Those clean guitar sounds panned to each channel are super cool. Gratz on a good sound here.

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 10:13:15 AM »
Well great, now I'm gonna have this stuck in the my head all day  ;D You found a really memorable chorus here!
Nirvana meets Floyd.

I like the guitar melodies left and right in the verses a lot. They again have this sort of slightly uneasy feel to them that I've enjoyed in a lot of your songs.

I think you're playing a bit with the listener's expectations here. The song starts out nice and slow, relaxed, understated. And you actually keep that style for the 1st chorus. Then all of a sudden it picks up a lot of momentum for the 2nd chorus and actually builds up even more at about 3:05 for a very powerful ending.
Very nicely done. This makes the song very catchy and doesn't get boring even after a few more listens. :)

The only thing that doesn't work for me are the harmonies in the 2nd verse that actually sing different words than the main vocals. I think if you sang them in a higher melody or panned them off to one side of the mix they would be more easily recognizable.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »
Hi,

Perhaps "positive" was the wrong word :)
 I was trying to convey a positive message about not worrying about things, not being taken in by the "you must have this, must be this culture" in order to fit in.
The verses are just little observations by the character singing the song; I don't want to sleep - it's a waste of my time because i have so much i want to do; He see's people jealousy because someone is perceived to be doing slightly better; I want to be like that person - not myself; People don't seem to have the time of day anymore just to say "hello," in the street. That was the idea anyhow.

Michael sums up how i approached the song - started clean, then added more dirt in the guitars. First just a fuzz guitar, then an overdriven one at the end. Wanted to give that impression of being drawn down in to mire by "tricks of the light."

Thanks for listening and the comments.

Cheers,

Digger

Endureth

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 04:13:27 PM »
I agree with Binladeda.  It's really good.  Very trippy :)

basshead

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »
'kin great man. right up my alley. excellent out on it. love your stuff dude. keep it coming  8)
if u always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 07:01:52 AM »
Always get some really interesting chords, 'tick tock' is very catchy and like the way you vary your vocals - keep that up. Some really good sounds eg guitars & production and love the way it really builds into a powerful rock tune.
Dark and powerful
:)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 01:32:11 AM »
Hi Digger...I love it...as I do all of our stuff...you definitely got the hook thing going on...can't get it out of my head :)...I love these introspective type songs...I agree with Micheal...Nirvana meets Floyd...it's funny cause I've been working on a song which involves the ticking of the clock as we speak ;)
your voice is prefect in this song and the guitar work is excellent...I too love the way it builds till the end...the lyrics are captivating as well...I totally get them 8)...brilliant work my forum friend...I'm so glad you decided not to drown in your sorrows...a lesson for all of us...strong emotions over any of life's experiences, can be the stepping stone to an amazing artistic creation...thanks again :)

Kafla

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
Very cool digger - one of my favs

It's got a great beat , menacing rythmn

Your voice sounds ACE!!!!

That guitar is awesome

The lyrics   ;D ;D

Class , class - more of this please !!!!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 05:45:38 PM »
I found this to be disorientating - a bit like the soundtrack to a really vivid dream or a heavy trip (I would imagine :-)

I'm not going to be putting this on when I need cheering up but obviously that's not the point. I am getting the Pink Floyd thing as well. I loved the guitar sound you have which sounds like it's been passed through a washing machine. It's a menacing, dark and pretty frightening track. An excellent, original and thought provoking song.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.
Ok, so it's not happy - but the one we're working on is :) Promise. (May have my fingers crossed a little.)
I'm glad it's got that uneasy feel/slightly trippy - it's the overall vibe I was after - not everything is as it appears kind of thing.

Really appreciate your time.

Cheers,

Digger