Fallen For You

• 16 Replies

jamesh

• Open Mic
« on: June 04, 2017, 12:35:34 AM »
Hi all

This song covers the turmoil that you feel when you fall for someone, but are not sure if its reciprocated.

Lyrics are from the heart as usual. The cheesy Lyric "heart just skips a beat" actually fits quite nicely in a syncopated part of the middle 8, but let me know what you think.

The arrangement is a bit less electronic sounding than the last one, but could have done with some acoustic guitar maybe.

Happy to receive feedback on anything in the song.

https://soundcloud.com/james-homewood/fallen-for-you

Thanks

James

Fallen For you

Verse 1

I needed some time to myself,
a walk in the forest alone,
a stroll by a lake and I
Thought about all that we said
But what really happened
was mostly in my head.

Verse 2

A feeling like one of those dreams
As the sun rises it fades
The distance between us grows
I held you for only one night,
It felt like you needed me then,
And I can't escape that feeling

Chorus

And if you should call me, from out of the blue
I hope that you'd to say that you're feeling it too
And I can't explain it, try as I might
The magic that flows in the heat of night
as I've fallen for you.

Verse 3

I guess it's just one of those days
So much I want to say, but my stomach is churning
so I will just leave it to chance
the longer I keep it inside,
the further away you become

Chorus

I sometimes wonder how it plays out
The girl from the past and the boy full of doubt
You fill my head when I turn out the light
My thoughts are like shadows
that dance in the night
And I fallen for you

Middle 8

And I want to feel it again,
And I want to see you, to know how it ends
Im lost in a dream and my heart just skips a beat when you appear.

Chorus

I know when I see you, you'll light up the room
You don't even know what you've done to this fool
So don't make a deal with one of those clowns
I just can't bear to see them around
As I've fallen for you

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 01:06:31 AM »
Well, this is a very pretty tune, and the lyric works for me as it is. I could point out a couple nit picky prosody things, but I don't really want to...they aren't major and they don't affect my enjoyment of the song.

The "heart just skips a beat" line--not sure about that. At first I didn't like it, but it has started to grow on me a little, so...maybe eventually I'll think it's perfect.

I did notice sometimes you have rhymes and sometimes you don't--it seemed kind of inconsistent.

My favorite part:
The girl from the past and the boy full of doubt
You fill my head when I turn out the light
My thoughts are like shadows
that dance in the night

Least favorite part:
So don't make a deal with one of those clowns
I just can't bear to see them around

I think there could be something stronger there, maybe?

Vicki

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 01:12:01 AM »
Hi James

Lovely 6/8 ballad IMHO.
Your vocals are great and the harmonies sound good too.
There are a few spots where the lyrics seem to conflict with the melody emphasis-wise, but as Vicki says - minor infractions that don't detract too much.

Thought the lead vocal was a little too loud in the M8 - other than that no mix nits - a pleasant listen. Beatley in places  ;D

Paul

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 11:47:42 AM »
Hi mate,
I really love how the hook melody "falls" with the lyrics. That's very clever. Well done on that.

As Paul has said the vocal volumes noticeably louder in the M8. It's tricky to get that right as you have more going on musically and u don't want that to drown out the vocal...so...yeah...good luck with that! ;D

Im not such a fan of the delay you have going on in the first verse on the ends of sentences. The very first one is too loud (I think it's the same volume as the lead Vocal) I would just lower that one a bit. The second one was much better volume wise, but imho I just don't think they are needed. Sometimes I add little tricks to my songs just cos I can, but actually a lot of the time they are not needed. Obviously, it's a personal pref thing. ;D

Nice ambitious chorus mate & a rich production. Maybe some acoustic would flesh it out a bit, but I like it enough as it is.

Good stuff man.
Leo  ;D

Oldbutyet

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:19:37 AM »
Has a Beatles feel to it, which takes a while to listen to, nice so far  8)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 12:47:52 PM »
Hi James, lovely stuff.  I dig the fretless-sounding bass, and the chorus melodies... the overall flow of the tune is really delicate and dreamy.  Like Leo I could see some acoustic strumming adding a lot too, maybe coming in around the second verse to keep it building.  I didn't expect it to fade out at that point at the end, it felt more like it could resolve at the end of a chord cycle?  You've got a good voice - wish I could hit some of those high notes too.
It's all too beautiful.

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 06:22:03 PM »
Hi James,

A nice ballad.

The song has a real floaty feel.

Not sure about the Beatles....has a 60s and both 80 s feel.

Love the vocals and harmonies.

Favourite lyrics... Was mostly inside of my head....really good.

Like this ...thx for sharing

Sandeep

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
Yo James.

This is great. It manages to conjure a very 60s vibe without being in the slightest derivative.

The melody is very easy on the ears,a thoroughly pleasant listen.

The end fade seems a bit like an afterthought,but maybe just me.

Lovely song.  :)

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 11:15:45 PM »
Vicky

Thanks for your comments and advice on the Lyrics previously. I agree that the "Heart skips a beat" line is a bit cheesy, but it kind of felt like the timing of it made it a bit like the line was actually skipping a beat. Like a musical onomatopoeia or something.....

I agree that the rhymes are inconsistent in the verse, but the non rhyming phrases merge into the chorus to hopefully make up for it.

Paul

I've adjusted the M8. The result of not listening properly after making a change
The ploddy piano in the verse may need taking down a notch to change the emphasis to better fit with the lyrics. I think thats what you meant?

Leo

Thanks for your comments. I usually use delay to help fatten up my thin voice, but you are right, it doesn't need it on the verses on this. I've left some on the chorus though.

Oldbutyet

Beatles? Interesting. My last song was New Order/Petshop boys like apparently!

PaulyX

Thanks for your kind words. Especially about my voice. The truth is, I have to battle asthmatic coughing and tuning issues with multiple takes and pitch correction plugins. My secret is out! I changed key for this song several times because the verse was either too low or the chorus too high. Hopefully got it right though.
The Bass was done on a free VST plugin called MaxSynths Bass with a bit of mouse applied pitch bend. I plan to add some acoustic guitar at some stage.

Vance

Thanks for your comments. The end fade could have gone multiple ways, and it just went that way. Ill see if the intro works as an outro too.

James

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 08:16:01 AM »
Lovely 6/8 ballad going on here.

Really nice piano playing with some interesting chord progressions.

The productions pretty good, I might have gone for a slightly heavier drum sound?

To my ears the structure differs from what you have written. The first 4 lines of your chorus to me are the bridge/pre chorus, with the fallen for you part being the actual chorus.

This makes the pre chorus quite long and the chorus quite short.

A common criticism I have recieved in the past is that my pre chorus's are too long.

I'm wondering what difference it would make to this if you halved the length of your pre chorus (and maybe doubled the length of the fallen for you chorus)

Just a thought...

Overall I really liked this and it does work quite well the way it is, just thinking of how it could possibly be improved.

Yodasdad

L. Sampson

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 07:29:34 PM »
hey, this is such a solid good song

a kind of Simon and Garfunkel-style  on the verses...
very smooth ambiance and brillant chorus

thanks for this sweet moment

Gill

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »
My type of sound! There's nothing really to say constructively its all great ;)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
You’ve successfully communicated  emotion in this song song, and this  allows me to relate to the feelings of longing that you described.  The songwriting hits the target:  fine melody and good choice of harmony.    Quite a beautiful song that I am sure becomes more enjoyable with each new listen.

Paul

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »
Hi James,

Nice piano work. The bits of guitar sound great alongside it.
The vocals/harmonies are very dreamy - sound good.
A song of yearning - which I like to hear in a ballad - and I guess many of us have been there.

Digger

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 10:07:43 AM »
Really enjoyed this one...

it's a lovely song...hard to further describe why i liked it so much...but i did  :)

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter