Starlings

• 27 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 05:35:49 PM »
Hi steng, had a touch of the 'across the universe' dirge/drone feel to it. Liked the lyrics except that the murmuration word for me is too much of a technical term and whilst the rest of the chorus gave me what you were trying to express that word somehow detracted from it, but that's just me ::) :P. Good melodies all the way through and backwards stuff fitted well. I agree it was probably a little low for your voice as someone before me said :o.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 10:11:52 PM »
I felt bad being a bit down on this so I listened to the acoustic version & that is very nice ..the melody fits perfectly with the chords...so I can only think its the extra drone like sounds in the full version that I felt clashed with the melody
I still dont like starlings tho! :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
I think the best thing to do whilst listening to your music is to sit back and enjoy the journey that it takes us on.  I always seem to connect with your guitar work but the lyrics here's have also grabbed me. No critique from me. I simply want to say well done.  A memorable journey for me my friend!

Paul

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »
Mr P, Jamie - thanks for the great feedback guys.
Tinam - thanks for having another listen, appreciate that. I do need to revisit the mix, I agree it does mask the melody here and there. Think I'll take everything right down and have another go with the mix. I don't really like starlings either TBH, nice to watch them fly though.
Paul - Wow, thanks man!!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »
This has a fantastic BEATLES vibe for me

I have fiddled with the mix of this song for yonks and still can't decide if it sounds right.  Feedback appreciated on where I could improve.

I think you have got the level balances about right (although I would reduce the tambourine quite a bit)

I would be more brutal with EQ on the various parts to give some more clarity to the mix

Eg - decide which part of each element you want in the mix and then cut away everything else with EQ - eg if you want a guitar part to add some "high end" interest use a High Pass Filter to cut out the low end and mid - the part may sound awful on its own but may sit better in the mix and give space for other instruments to shine
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 06:22:34 PM »
Hey Boydie, thanks for the feedback and the advice on EQ. I have never used EQ - I "mix" everything I have recorded using volume and pan - very basic. I need to step up to get the sound I'm looking for, so I really appreciate the advice. I will have a stab at what you suggest....probably get myself in a fix, but I'll be learning and that's the main thing.

Cheers

Steng

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 10:12:17 PM »
I'm really digging the acoustic version of this as well Steng tho I like both versions. BTW, brilliant advice from Boydie on EQ. I was exactly the same as you when I started on here but a couple of guys on here specifically Mr Shadowfax really helped me out big time. Great stuff man  :)

Oldbutyet

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 11:10:45 PM »
Your first link has to many dictionary words that to me doesn't work with the production, your acoustic works far better with your words gets the listeners understanding out of the class room, end of a hard days studying

Cool song.

JacktheLaughingBoy

• Busker
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 12:53:32 AM »
I also thought there was something a bit off, like others have suggested maybe bring the song up a tone. Solid piece of music though man!

Mike67

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 07:46:17 PM »
I can only access the acoustic version, but I like it. Very hypnotic and I like the repetition in the lyrics. This is one that should be kept simple in my opinion. Some harmonies on the chorus would also work well.

Nice one,

Mike

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »
Hi Steng

This is a really good song - congrats!
Someone said hipnotising - sums it up for me.
I think the reason you're getting the "sing it higher" comments is because there are some marginal pitch issues in the lead vocal and one of the guitars. Maybe revisit that, but that's all just production floobydust - it's the song that counts and you nailed this one.  ;D

Paul

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 02:59:23 PM »
Hi Steng - much preferred the acoustic version for some reason - perhaps it just had that mellower feel that matched the subject. Having said that maybe you could do a George Martin and add in a chorus from the bigger version to give us those birds rising up and then go back to the acoustic? As the melody is quite restained that might be an interesting variation (to my quirky and not very George Martin-like mind).

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 07:24:23 PM »
Hi Steng

I think the musical backdrop works well with the vocal - it seems to give this busy city backdrop with the vocalist wandering through it.
The reverse sounds work very well.
Quite psychedelic. Get some sitar in there ;D

Good stuff.

Digger