konalavadome

Hey Girl

• 13 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: March 09, 2023, 09:41:40 AM »
Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago I knocked up a funky sounding backing track and pinged it to a couple of mates with "Any ideas ?" Tony came back and said it sounded like Barry White meeting The Doors and recorded some vocals and lead guitar too add. We decided to go for a dual vocal approach for a change.

Drums - EzDrummer Southern Soul Ludwig Kit
Bass and Guitar - Played live with some Guitar Rig amp sims
Keys - DB33 Organ and Nexus
Clav - Some heavily mashed up and tweaked samples
Vox - A drop of Convology verb plus Compression and EQ tweaks

That's the technical stuff !! As usual we had great fun working on this one and it came together pretty quickly. Here's the music !!!

Hey Girl
Hey Girl

Hey Girl I see it in your eye
I got a thing going on for far too long
And you never realised

Hey Girl
Yeah Hey Girl

Your love is like a house on shifting sands
Moving with the shadows all over this land
Any time at all - yeah any time you need a helping hand
Just let it go baby, let me be your loving man

Yeah Girl I see it in your eye
And you never realised

Hey Girl
Yeah Hey Girl

Break

Hey Girl I see it in your eye
And you never realised

Hey Girl
Yeah Hey Girl

Break

Hey Girl
Hey Girl
Hey Girl
Hey Girl
Fade........

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 10:31:46 AM »
Good clean sound goin on and your voices sound good together, good hi harmony there John,
quite a crisp production, likin it mucho! :) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 04:22:50 PM »
@pompeyjazz Funky, funky .... cool vibe. Vocals work well together and like the rock lead guitar across the funky keys.

Kevin

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 05:33:45 PM »
Ah yeah! I loved this when I heard it on your channel/page. Great clavi work. That organ's sounding great. I'm getting real Rod Stewart vibes from the vocal. I'm more of a Marriot man myself but I never really got the 'Stewart was going an impression of Steve's voice critisism.*

A really accomplished song. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

CCB

* Sorry I got distracted - I've been playing a lot of The Small Faces recently. Love 'em.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 08:44:24 AM »
Hi @pompeyjazz, really strong chorus on this and the double vocals really compliment one another. Very funky indeed, which I don’t think I can personally do - in fact I just tried trying to play along rhythmically to that funky clav - and I definitely don’t possess that rhythm gene, ha ha! 😁

Another great party track this, like some of the others you’ve done with funk or ska influence - ie not your normal white English heritage rocky stuff.

Just a tiny point, but I was a bit bothered by the dryness of that organ that comes in at 1.10, maybe not quite sounding like it was in the same reverb room. Only saying this, as all my productions are perfect, as everybody knows! 😁

Anyway, I see my foot has now got the tapping funky jitters and is having too much fun. So I’ll have to stop listening now. But really suited you this one. 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 04:19:18 PM »
Another great piece of work, as usual, John!

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 06:13:56 PM »
Barry White meets the Doors?!! Well Barry's certainly in there!! This has a lovely live feel to it. Nothing not to like for me. I love that Hammond sound..and the funky guitars. I think the end is a bit chaotic but not sure it matters. I really enjoyed this. :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 12:31:39 PM »
Excellent funky groove. Chord changes were very cool.

I think it’s the 100% commitment that you always bring to songs that’s a big part of the reason that pretty much everything you do is a success. It’s infectious. It can kill songs when they’re done in a half-arsed or apologetic way.

None of that here though.

Sounds to me like people at the top of their game 😀
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 12:55:08 PM »
Hi @pompeyjazz Man, this is fuuuunnnky! The production is incredibly intricate and complex but supports the song perfectly. I loved the Isley Brothers style electric lead. An electric clavinet would have added even more of a mid 70's "Shaft" vibe. Brilliant piece of work.
M

popitup

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 02:21:51 AM »
@pompeyjazz

Supercharged tune ! . . . and really like it's emulation of ultra cool . . . if your toe ain't tappin' ya' might need a slappin'
That low vocal is exquisite, giant vocal cavity unleashed at the microphone. Lots of fun here, at a slow tempo, Andante con Mondo enjoyable. Just great stuff !

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2023, 08:50:47 PM »
Yo pomps.

Loving the sleazy 'Shaft' groove in this one. Very tasty guitar work.

Very different from your usual John,yet still very cool. I approve!

Kafla

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 05:48:58 PM »
Very authentic from the first beat John…funky wah wah type thing going on…

Was thinking the vocal has so much resonance and then your vocal came in - man this is quite some performance and your voices blend so well together - like a J Walker Black label….if you know you will know this is the best blended whisky bar none  ;D

Beautiful arrangement and production…all moustache and spliff like…

Lovely work indeed  :o

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 04:54:42 PM »
Some delicious musical flourishes are evident here @pompeyjazz.  From the cool bass to the beautiful timbre and percussiveness of the organ.  Super loose feel until that beautiful full sound surrounds the listener as the chorus kicks in.  I have noticed all of your songwriting developments over the years and believe that you will continue to grow and reach new heights. It's always a pleasure to listen to your work.   Sterling work John!

Paul

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 05:11:29 PM »
Really interesting vocals, and not just the leads. Pretty easy to listen to and enjoy; nice, solid ideas and the whole thing works. Cool ending too.