The Lizard Lounge

• 16 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: December 17, 2019, 08:50:02 PM »
It's going to be a great night out, you and your girl mate are off to the club, you've heard that the Funkmasters are in town, you got your tickets and you enter the club, it's hot and cooking, the band's already been playing for a couple of numbers so they and the club are swinging.

Your girlfriend goes off to mingle and then comes back with the tale that this cheesey Lounge Lizardy guy tried to chat you up, it was a laughable experience. You could see girls almost sighing with relief as he would approach someone else, for him to reel off his well worn lines.

There's one like them in every club in every town, as the song goes.

This song is all about those guys and those poor girls that had to, and still have to suffer their advances.

Beware men wearing white socks and shoes that match the colour of their double breasted suit, where the trousers a re just a bit too tight.

Huge thanks to @Cazrolina

Please let me know what you think, any suggestions and off course...string backed driving gloves off, and thrown away, along with those black patent shoes and cravat.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 07:14:07 PM »
This fits the genre to a tee so how to crit? all I can say is maybe it's a bit long, otherwise, you cracked it mate! :) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 11:28:17 PM »
Sweeeet vibes CPM & Caz.  It's got a frazzled, wasted, funky soully vibe which I am sure was the exact spot you were aiming for.  I liked the way nothing in particular is over prominent in it too... everything blends well into one throbbing, slightly seedy whole.  I think I'd like to hear this at 3 AM at massive decibels, a little worse for wear before having to get the night bus home.  Deep down & dirty stuff.
It's all too beautiful.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
Hi guys, nice work, great funked up vibe with some top playing. Vocals just right, really good.Another genre defying leap from you again!

Cheers
Jamie

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 01:20:22 PM »
Hi Guys/Gals,

Well, that's got a groove and a lowdown, chilled out vibe.
Great vocal job.

The low end is massive - but so clear. Really good job on the production.
Not totally my thing, but I can appreciate the craft.

The bloke in the photo reminds me of a former boss of mine.  :D

Happy Xmas,

Digger

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »
Love the Funky nite out vibe , The groove is solid and sounds great!
Vocals are sweet, Nice job Rich & Caz!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 08:41:36 AM »
Thanks for everyone that took the time to get dirty and wasted listening to this one. It was exactlky the vibe I was trying to catch, late nights, loud, hot clubs, sweaty, half sozzled, but loving the music, bus home, trying not to make yourself conspicuous to those thugs over on the seat 2 rows down, head spinning, aaaah those were the days...

@pompeyjazz - Cheers John - just don't tell me you wear a hat.....

@shadowfax - Don't be fooled by length... 8)

@PaulyX - Exactly what I was after man, thanks, your review made me feel really good, thanks, like an appreciative audience at a gig, I bet you're a gas to go gigging with.

@digger72 - Thanks 'The Digmeister' Chilled was what I was after, that's for the note re: prod. What is your thing, maybe I can have a crack at that? Oh dear, your old boss looked like that....oooooo.

@Bostonfan2 - Yeah Caz's Vox are the very special, as is her organisation, and lyrics, she is one talented Artist.

@Jamie - Cheers guy, try to keep leaping....

@Cazrolina - Thanks for your time, wonderful lyrics and Vox from Tik Tok Studios...

Happy Christmas one and all..

Rich

Inanité_sonore

• Open Mic
    • Black Gift Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 08:54:19 PM »
Hi
It's got a good groove  :)
 We feel good in this song. I really like the way it evolves to 3'35, very original for me and I like the sound of the bass.
It's an admirable work !
IS

My project "Black Gift" :
listen the album and buy CD & vinyl :
https://blackgift.bandcamp.com/releases

Listen :
https://soundcloud.com/black_gift/tracks

Inanité Sonore Records :
https://soundcloud.com/user-24297189

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 01:35:24 PM »
Hi Rich,

My thing tends to be more rock based; AC/DC, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Metallica, The Doors, Muse, Queen, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, to name a few.

Cheers,
Digger

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 03:11:59 AM »
Bloody hell thats a great groove.
Wonderful mixing too, it sounds incredibly high level. I feel like this would work wonderfully as a game soundtrack. Maybe Vice City or San Andreas or something along those lines ;D

Love the little minor gin and tonic guitar licks too - it's a real winner.
Love it man!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 10:44:58 AM »
Very cool funky vibe going on here Rich  8) Love it, and I've definitely been in clubs with those kind of men, so can totally relate :)
the bass really adds to the groovy atmospheric vibe and the vocals/lyrics are wonderful 8) Production is Ace as well. Nice collab guys  :)

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 09:05:54 PM »
With the funky rhythm and ambient sounds of a party in the background, this reminds me a little of Marvin Gaye. The song seems to have a frustrated feel to it. There’s a wonderful voice there. It sounds both effortless and powerful. The band also supports this with a very tight groove. The song to me evokes a jaded image of a nightclub about to close for the night. This is a taut song with great feeling. Great stuff.

pnb99

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 07:36:55 AM »
Hi

Really well executed. So easy for this style to sound contrived and fake but this feels authentic an genuine.

Some of the arrangements,instrumentation and musicianship is sublime.

Feels more like a composition than a song due to the structure. That’s no bad thing with this style in my opinion.

Reminds me somewhat of a modernised version of the Brand New Heavies   

The change at 3:23 came at exactly the right time and I love the interplay of the “vintage brass” and then the bass parts are fabulous.

Full of admiration for this piece of work.

My only tweak would be that, when I first heard it, I felt that the vocal reverb was too “boxy” and sounded more like a live performance in a club. I would have preferred the vocal to sound a little more forward in the mix. Having said that, after I’d listened a few times that reservation decreased as I became more familiar. Nevertheless, it might be something worth considering.

Best wishes,

Paul.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
Hapy New Year and Thanks again for all the feedback, I always consider every idea and comment, keep 'em coming.

@Inanité_sonore - Thanks for this, glad you like the bass.

@David Christy Jones - 'Gin and Tonic' guitar licks - dig that phrase, maybe you picked up that one of the first 335 guitar licks later became the basis for the heavy synth bass line...

I guess it would suit a game, but life is just a game anyway, as Kapai once said.

@crystalsuzy - So glad that you can relate to this bloke, I used to see him in action in the discos when I was much younger, such a sad sight, pestering girls, thinking he was the sexiest thing in the room, when in fact the Bose sound system had more going for it than he did...

I wanted the vibe of a club, noisey, hot, half pissed, but a total fun night out, even the tought of going out into the cold winter's air, and then off to the chinese for a special curry afterwards...

Caz came up with the lyrics and melody line...maybe she's had experience of these type of creeps?

@bigFishAndTheSmallPondets - To be compared with the Great Marvin - Such a compliment - 'the band also supports this with a tight groove' that's already made my year...glad you liked it, that's all I could hope for.

@pnb99 - Hi Paul, nice to hear from you again, you were sorely missed. Glad you dig. A lot of my work is composed, rather than 'a song' per se, I create to how I want it, rather than how it conventionally should be done, that way It keeps things straight in my mind, and then I can add to that with hooky phrases etc, to bring people back into what they might expect a song to be.

Never heard any brand new heavies. with the brass, I'm a huge fan of Earth Wind and Fire, they know how to nail brass, but midi brass is notoriously awful and so often ruins a song (as does awful keys and strings) so I was delighted to find that Magix Independence pro's brass is rather tasty, so i experimented with that and was pleased with the results, so that is my goto vst for punchy brass, it's also good for strings.

As for the bass well, I enjoy playing that, it always makes me smile while I'm tracking bass parts.

You've got a point with the Verb, I wasn't sure about which one to go for at the time, and to be honest I don't remember which I used, i normally go for Lexicon Native Verb plus an Soundtoys EchoBoy on LVox, (there might be something ambient on the master buss) Sometimes i know what I want but can't quite nail it.

Anyway thanks again.

Just before I go, Caz did a couple of BRILLIANT takes of do do do's following the bass and guitars at the end, but I never got those stems, tried a few vocalists to recreate them but none worked ...Oh well one day maybe...