konalavadome

Muddy Water EQ

• 2 Replies

mickeytwonames

• Solo Gig
  • me, my mistress and my dog
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:31:41 PM »
The term muddy is used a lot in this forum. I'm guilty of muddy tracks. Is this down to EQ and if so is there a good reference book or advice to understanding and using EQ in a DAW?
Mickeytwonames
Practice like you live forever.
Play like you die tonight,

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:31:35 PM »
Lol - I just used the term "muddy" in my reply to your reverb thread

It basically means that the individual elements are not being heard clearly - and the usual culprit is too many instruments at the same frequency - ie guitars, keyboards, vocals, the higher bits of the bass can all share the same frequencies

This is where EQ can help as you can carefully "carve out" some space for the important instruments

Eg I usually start with my vocal (the most important bit IMHO) to get a good sound

When I add guitars I will often make a cut in the guitar frequencies around the key vocal frequencies

Individually the guitar may not sound great but when mixed with the vocal it sounds great

If you PM me your email address I can send you some of my own rough guides and "cheat sheets" to get you started before you start looking at books (and I have some great recommendations for books but I think it would be better to grasp the basics before diving in to a book as most assume a fundamental understanding first - which is a little daft!)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 03:48:03 AM »
And low shelfs are also a good idea for most instruments to pave the way for the lower registered instruments to poke through easily as well. The lower frequncies that you shelve out, whilst they may not be audible, are still taking up some valuable headroom which will enable more fexibility on you sliders for those other instruments.