You Gotta Lose Me (Updated and Unlocked)

• 13 Replies

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« on: April 05, 2023, 02:00:35 AM »
The Corking Crack Band goes (relatively) modern pop... I think? ... I'm useless with genre, I just make what I think sounds good.  ;D I'm still tinkering a little with this but it's 95% there.

Hopefully it comes through that this is a somewhat darker lyric than it first appears. If not, well I hope you like it irrespective.  ;)

You Gotta Lose Me

There’s nothing I can do for you
No matter how you plead
You can cry and shout and scream
But we both know where that will lead

I’ll go
(You know it’s coming darling)
I’ll leave
(I won’t return to you)
You know
(That this was coming darling)
I need to breath
(And you do to)

Time was when days were spent
In each others arms
And our love touched all horizons
And silenced all alarms

But now they’re ringing loud and clear
But the fire has gone out, my dear

I plead
(You gotta let me go)
I shout
(You’ve gotta lose me)
I scream
(Save us both now darling)
I cry
(But I still love you)

I never meant to hurt you love
I never meant to make you bleed
I’m leaving now, for you, my love
Because I know it’s what you need

I’ll go
(You know it’s coming darling)
I’ll leave
(I won’t return to you)
You know
(It was coming darling)
I need to breath
(And you do to)

I plead
(You gotta let me go)
I shout
(You’ve gotta lose me)
I scream
(Save us both now darling)
I cry
But I still love you
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 10:49:15 PM by CorkingCrackBand »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 10:38:34 AM »
Yes, digging this more modern style @CorkingCrackBand although it's got a slightly 80's electro pop vibe to it - I love the clever call and response vocals and that piano riff is really infectious - Groovy synth solo too - Another corker from the CCB  8)

subvibe

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 11:30:38 AM »
Hi

I agree with pompeyjazz
its got a very 80s feel & love the synth solo
If you ever did Gigs here in Holland i would certainly be there

great stuff
subvibe

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 12:04:42 PM »
I really like the general sound of the track, generally heartbreak songs sound sad, melancholic, but here you have given it a very varied palette of emotions, like in reality, sadness rises and falls many times a day !!! I love the synth leader and the percussion that looks like a broom sweeping that love @CorkingCrackBand
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 04:40:20 PM »
Hi @pompeyjazz and @subvibe

80's is modern right? It's only the best part of half a century away?  ;D As I say, I'm bad at genre - if there's a synth in a song, my brain says 'well, that's cutting edge, that'!

Something doesn't quite sit right with this one to my ears. Perhaps I shouldn't have sung it so low and gone for my middle register instead? It's difficult to know. I might give that a whirl later.

@moraamarolaloba

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts. It's definitely a more layered track, thematically than the standard break up song - although, of course, it's hardly original either. I think there's a bit of frustration and anger in there as well as sadness. I don't believe the singer has been a very nice partner.

CCB

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 06:41:21 PM »
Just to say I've updated the vocals and tweaked the mix slightly - I'm genuinely unsure if it's better or worse or just marginally different.  ;D 

CCB

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 09:17:32 PM »
@CorkingCrackBand  I Love the opening riff, simple yet atmospheric!  Whenever it is repeated, the song moves up another gear.  I find myself waiting for it to reappear.  It is such a winner and it allows your vocal to soar as the song progresses!  I'm also a sucker for spoken word when it is done well and it certainly is here.  Really Cool song and a great ending!

Paul

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023, 03:35:21 PM »
@CorkingCrackBand  What, only 3 minutes? (Just kidding :) )  I really like the structure, including the call and response in the chorus. Some really nice piano/keyboard/ synth playing.

Kevin

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2023, 11:14:57 PM »
Hi @Wicked Deeds

Thanks for the kind words, it never hurts.  ;)

Hi @kevysc

I thought I'd treat you to a short one (said the priest to the choir boy).

I'm going to lock this topic as frankly, I'm not at all happy with the way this has turned out. I know there's a better version in me but I'm quite busy at the moment and may not get a chance to mess around with it until I'm satisfied. I think the various vocals are conflicting and I need to unify them into something better.

Thanks all for commenting and listening and my apologies for not posting a 'finished track.'

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 10:48:28 PM »
The only way I could find to the make the vocal not sound awful was to re pitch and rerecord my voice. Now I sound like a castrated smurf but at least I'd not completely embarrassed by it.  I may go back and add a synth or backing vocal to supposrt the lead for the last chorus as it sounds a bit 'floating on air' with the re pitching and needs back up.

Obviously don't feel obliged to relisten. It's just so I feel like I've 'done it'.

CCB

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 05:13:32 PM »
It's like another song, both are good, maybe I prefer the first one..@CorkingCrackBand
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 10:06:58 PM »
There's something about this.
The vocals are a bit weird, the progressions are a bit unorthodox..
But it is creative and unique, and it has an "It" factor that cannot be ignored. :D

Nice one!
Paul

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2023, 01:09:43 AM »
Thanks @Paulski

Yeah I'm not sure what to do with the vocals.  :-[ This is one of those tracks that my voice simply isn't suited to... maybe I'll see if a singer somewhere fancies a bash. There's always a first for everything and I think the music deserves an appropriate vocal.
Cheers for the feedback.

CCB

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2023, 10:20:43 AM »
Hi CCB.

It's an unusual smorgasbord of styles and sounds. Like John says,I hear 80s influences.

With regard to the vocals,you can go one of two ways,either learn to love your own idiosyncratic style and be content you sound like you,or farm it out to a guest vocalist.
I go through periods where I'm heartily sick of my own vocals and my limitations,then other times,I think I carry the song ok. Not everyone can sing every type of song and that's probably the crux of the matter.

Regardless of all that above schitt,I enjoyed the track man.   ;D